100k Club

Integrity

Binge Poster
You should have experienced US military life.

In some units it is 6 days a week, 10 to 14 hours a day.

In deployments it is 6 to 8 months away from family, some much more.

Some whine and say, why should they obtain a pension after 20 to 24 years of service?

Bless our military personnel.
texan,

We can all be thankful for those who commit to serving their country.

The stuggles of military family life are unique and the resources to address them are probably also unique.

You seem experienced in this. You no doubt know more about this than me.

I don't think reflecting on the difficulty that military fathers may have can justify or rationalize the actions of men who choose to spend too much time at work.

What is your opinion about my post that you previously quoted.

The Truth is nothing to fear.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
with that said, I
We can be equally concerned for management then? They work long hours, and are often so stressed by hitting their numbers that they are forced to take work home with them. I often will hear management call the office after they have gone home for the evening verifying that everything is going smoothly. It's easy to criticize what someone is, or is not doing, however when someone does that, they are often trying to cover up their own shortcomings.
yeldarb,

I agree.

I was only sharing my concern for another BC poster.

If you felt criticized, it was not my intention.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Obvious to who?

I haven't worked a weekend in 35 years, I get 7 paid weeks of vacation, 2 optional holidays. I get 3 8hr requests a month, I can file under the 9.5 language to reduce overtime. What's obvious to me is you are trying to make out working at UPS akin to being sentenced to hard labor in prison, something that is far from the truth. It isn't perfect, when my kids were younger I struggled to make stuff, but somehow we muddled through. Looking back, I was or did do more than peers who had less challenging jobs. When I was a kid many dads double shifted 7 days a week in the auto plants. Some of my friends I never even met or saw their dads, and most of them turned out just fine.
CharleyHustle,

I hope I did not offend you. I did not mean to if I did.

You appear to have misunderstood the statement and to what I was referring to.

I was commenting on a post that anonymous made.

This is what I posted:

I agree, I would also concerned if a man wasn't properly fulfilling his responsibility to provide for the physical needs of his family.

I would be equally concerned but not more concerned.

This however is obviously not the case in this situation.

What is obvious is that Jack Burton's situation is not one that involves him not providing for the physical needs of his family.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
also, when we were growing up, most women stayed home to raise the family. Now, few women stay home. If working longer hours allows the mother to stay home, I see no problem with that.
yeldarb,

I agree.

I think that a family should be careful to make sure the motives for the extra money is to meet basic needs and not a "to keep up with the Jones" decision.

Kids need their fathers, now more than ever.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm making sure that my family is well taken care if now and in the future. I choose to spend quality time with my family, not quanity. People who classify spending time with their family as setting their children in front of the tv and doing something else isn't what I do. When you work like we do, late into the night, you value the time you have with your family even more. You might even say that the more that you work, the more you appreciate the time you do have with your family. By me working the hours I do it supplies the means for my family to do things that they otherwise wouldn't be able to do, improving our quality of life.
Jackburton,

You sound like a good man.

Working so your family can do things and improve your quality of life is and admirable quality in a father.

Quality of life and quality of time spent is very personal and very subjective. I commend you for seeking these in your family.

I mean no disrespect to you but the quality time myth that used to justify spending more time at work has been replaced by a different way of thinking.

It is the quantity of time spent in relationship with children that builds relations and truly shows the children that they are truly important to their fathers.

Relationships are built by spending time, doing life together.

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
More like sticker shock. I'm in the process of refinancing the 23 I owe on my house and 6 on a equity loan into one 40k 5 year mortgage. The leftover cash I'll use to upgrade on of my vehicles.
Going through a credit union I suppose? A 40k loan would be tough to refi with a traditional bank. I hope to be able to start slamming my mortgage down once I cash flow an expected medical procedure for the wife next year.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Going through a credit union I suppose? A 40k loan would be tough to refi with a traditional bank. I hope to be able to start slamming my mortgage down once I cash flow an expected medical procedure for the wife next year.

Its thru a regular bank. The rate not that great 3.99 but no closing costs.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Jack, my wife works in an urban school district. The parents or in most cases parent of the kids she deals with NEVER work. By "I's" reasoning these kids should be the most well-adjusted kids on the planet. Sorely not the case.
CharleyHustle,

Please show me where my reasoning supports parents not working and not providing for the physical and material needs of their children.

If I have shown this I need to correct this immediately.

Men of Integrity are fully responsible to provide for the physical and material needs of their wives and their children.

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Jackburton,

You sound like a good man.

Working so your family can do things and improve your quality of life is and admirable quality in a father.

Quality of life and quality of time spent is very personal and very subjective. I commend you for seeking these in your family.

I mean no disrespect to you but the quality time myth that used to justify spending more time at work has been replaced by a different way of thinking.

It is the quantity of time spent in relationship with children that builds relations and truly shows the children that they are truly important to their fathers.

Relationships are built by spending time, doing life together.

Sincerely,
I
And what is done during that time that defines their character. I want my children to see how hard I work and what they can obtain in life by doing hard work. While in play time I want them to know that spending time doing things together and with a purpose of bonding shows them to value those moments spent together. Both of which activities are funded by the money I earn at UPS.

My father worked his ass off as a carpenter in the local carpenters union. He recently retired after 35 years. The whole time I grew up he'd leave at 4am and come back around 6pm at night round trip. Even at a young age I knew he was working hard so we could have a nice home and be able to do things together. If I took anything away from what he has done his whole life it's working hard and manning up isn't an option. Kids are very impress able, make sure you put something on them worthy of them impersonating.

Integrity

Binge Poster
And what is done during that time that defines their character. I want my children to see how hard I work and what they can obtain in life by doing hard work. While in play time I want them to know that spending time doing things together and with a purpose of bonding shows them to value those moments spent together. Both of which activities are funded by the money I earn at UPS.

My father worked his ass off as a carpenter in the local carpenters union. He recently retired after 35 years. The whole time I grew up he'd leave at 4am and come back around 6pm at night round trip. Even at a young age I knew he was working hard so we could have a nice home and be able to do things together. If I took anything away from what he has done his whole life it's working hard and manning up isn't an option. Kids are very impress able, make sure you put something on them worthy of them impersonating.
Jackburton,

It is very important for a father to teach a strong work ethic. We are obviously in strong agreement with this principle of fatherhood.

It is so important to teach the children the value of hard work.

I hope you would agree that there is a point where the time spent at work becomes excessive and wrong.

I know this is personal, subjective and ultimately each mans decision as to the answer to this question.

When life is coming to a close it is too late to spend more time with the ones you love the most.

Sincerely,
I