3 Regions, 20 Districts

tieguy

Banned
At this point do you believe a voluntary severance package would be offered to all managers to see if they had any takers before they "un" voluntarily sepearated people.

short answer no. I think they want to target specific people to leave. I don't think they want to disrupt operations by losing those managers.

Look at what they are doing here. Eliminating 26 district staffs. The top performing district and divison managers will stay and be selected to be on someones team.

The non performing district and divison managers will be looking for jobs. Hopefully those people will know they are not highly thought of and will therefore take the offer.

Those that are highly thought of will probably think they still have a future here and will probably stay.

I think this is a clear effort to keep the cream and get rid of the dead wood.

local804

Tie,
Hear anything about NY Metro and Long Island merge? There are a lot of rumors but no one made anything official.

tieguy

Banned
Tie,
Hear anything about NY Metro and Long Island merge? There are a lot of rumors but no one made anything official.

yepper you're merging. Metro new york, long island and south new england districts mergining into the North atlantic district.

thats a big district.

Best news is they are eliminating the CACH hub. Turning it into a big parking lot.:happy-very:

j/k Cach.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Why must this thread be closed? How about we close every thread when someone dont agree with your point of view. If you dont like the content, dont bother posting.

I didnt want it closed because people disagreed with me, I said close it because that post basically said we will keep arguing for no reason, only to find out we are all *******s.

i know I am right when you all disagree with me.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
So whats the nuts and bolts of the downsizing? Which districts are going, and which are staying? Which regions will get the axe? Which ones will stay?

pretzel_man

Wrong. It is not our job to turn in sales leads. You can ask us to, expect us to, beg us to, threaten us etc, but we don't have to.
And I'll never understand why management treats us like nothing more than beasts of burden and then asks us to do the sales reps jobs for them.

I have certainly seen poor work done by the sales people in following up on leads. I have also heard the complaints from drivers on this and understand the frustration.

You are not the first person to refuse to turn in leads for whatever the reason.

However, while you choose to not turn in leads, those packages are being picked up by non-union employees. More volume certainly helps UPS and UPS management, but it also helps the Teamsters.

I would think that its better to have a Teamster handle the work than non-union employees? At least you have a chance to increase dues, pension contributions, etc...

We need to keep sight on who the real enemy is.

P-Man

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I have certainly seen poor work done by the sales people in following up on leads. I have also heard the complaints from drivers on this and understand the frustration.

You are not the first person to refuse to turn in leads for whatever the reason.

However, while you choose to not turn in leads, those packages are being picked up by non-union employees. More volume certainly helps UPS and UPS management, but it also helps the Teamsters.

I would think that its better to have a Teamster handle the work than non-union employees? At least you have a chance to increase dues, pension contributions, etc...

P-Man
corporate IE ???

airbusfxr

Scott Davis is an airline man, he came from ll Morrow, and finally has taken control of the company. UPS has always had "too many chiefs and not enough indians" and finally an outsider has came in and straightened this mess out. As long as we had truckers running the company we had so many partners splitting the "piece of the pie" that only crumbs were handed out. With the manager of the north-south division of the east west etc etc partners slipped through the cracks and the foxes were raiding the hen house. Now people will have to perform to stay on the payroll and if you moved to management just because you "couldnt cut it" as a driver those days are over.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I think this is a clear effort to keep the cream and get rid of the dead wood.
This is what needed to be done, way too many too many region and district staff employees for a streamline operation, this consolidation was a long time coming...IMO.

Hubrat - don't become a Supervisor - become a Service Provider. More opportunity to make money. This isn't the UPS of 15 years ago.

I disagree...Your opportunity to make more money would be in management ... if you're driven and that is what you want to do... your opportunities are unlimited. But it's definitely not for everyone...

Also in some respects...if this was the UPS of 15 years ago it probably wouldn't be here...

P-Man

Totally agree...Great post!:peaceful:

randomUPSISer

I totally agree Tie. Since he took over everything has become numbers. He counts all the pennies. Bean counter to the extreme. I think this will help UPS make a big run on profit in the near term but as we drop/lose unprofitable accounts, in the long term, we will start to get a bad rep. and lose volume. I look forward to the next CEO and hopefully he/she has been a career UPS lifer. Best of luck to you and all of us at UPS in the coming year.

I'd also add that while it will make a big run on profits in the short term, its DRIVING OUT all of the talented who arent "close" to retirement. No raises? No prospects for promotion? Constantly shrinking budgets? (which btw, were already so small to begin with 2 years ago from years of shrinking)

In the "long term" I also think it will hurt UPS because the less talented people who stay right now will be the ones promoted into first level management. From that pool, second level management will eventually be filled. From 2nd level management, 3rd level will eventually be filled. You see where I am going I assume? Eventually, upper management gets filled with the "worst and the dullest" and get to make wide ranging decisions. (Maybe we are already there? I'm not sure anymore)

corporate IE ???

Just "corporate" in general. Specifically, it seems, the management committee who are interested SOLELY in profit margins and too incompetent to realize that 1+1=2 in math. Its also possible to have 1+1 = 1, and 1+1=3, depending on how motivated those 1's are at their job. Right now we are on the fast track (again... if we arent already there) to make 1+1=1. Well... I guess at this point the math looks more like 1=.5. The other 1 left "for better opportunities". I'll be consulting with that "1" soon to see about the other open positions in his new company :biting:

chitownbrown

There's definitely a culture change and how it equates with what Mr. Casey and the intial co-founders worked for who knows. The new culture, established and led by a non UPSer will face some challenges. He may be accomplished in his field but there is and will be a severe lack of depth in people who know what it's like to relate to the people who ship and receive the product, actual packages, that we all deal with every day. Does anyone now know an hourly who has actual experience with sorting, loading, or delivering a package who would consider a management position? With the aggravation and compensation challenges that come with that decision? Not likely. The company rewards the valued contributions of the hourlies more than it does "the partners". The new "partners", if they ever exist, will come from statistical models designed to enrich those who have no connection to the original UPS culture and ideals.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Scott Davis is an airline man, he came from ll Morrow, and finally has taken control of the company. UPS has always had "too many chiefs and not enough indians" and finally an outsider has came in and straightened this mess out. As long as we had truckers running the company we had so many partners splitting the "piece of the pie" that only crumbs were handed out. With the manager of the north-south division of the east west etc etc partners slipped through the cracks and the foxes were raiding the hen house. Now people will have to perform to stay on the payroll and if you moved to management just because you "couldnt cut it" as a driver those days are over.

this is probably the most thought out and right on post I have ever seen from you brother.

cheers.

brownrod

hmmm database error? I should not have to explain the basic employee / boss relationship. If the boss says its your job to submit sales leads then its your job to do so. You can however quit this job and these unreasonable demands and save yourself the stress of doing something you're paid twice to do.

But this new task is contrary to everything we've been trained to do as drivers. We are beat over the head about numbers and you want us to slow down and make ourselves look bad? I read a post on this forum about a driver who was observed talking too long to a customer and was fired for stealing time. That driver was trying to get a lead (and of course the driver got his job back).

I'm an extremely productive driver. I never talk to anyone. I deliver and move as fast as possible never waste any time. So, now I need to alter that behavior to accommodate sales leads? Where is the training? Train me how to do this and maybe I can do it to your liking.

I've never turned in a lead because I don't really know what to do. I don't talk to customers. So now I need to start talking to them and ask them questions? I told the sales guys that if they want me to do this I need a script. I don't know what to say.

I have no problem say 'hey, large pile of fedex packages at XYZ company' to my center manager or sales guys. But I have no people skills. That's why I'm such a productive driver. I never talk to anyone. When I need to talk to someone at a company I feel like the nerd trying to get a date with the hottest chick in school. I don't know what to say and feel uncomfortable.

Therefore I never have and probably never will turn in a lead.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
But this new task is contrary to everything we've been trained to do as drivers. We are beat over the head about numbers and you want us to slow down and make ourselves look bad? I read a post on this forum about a driver who was observed talking too long to a customer and was fired for stealing time. That driver was trying to get a lead (and of course the driver got his job back).

I'm an extremely productive driver. I never talk to anyone. I deliver and move as fast as possible never waste any time. So, now I need to alter that behavior to accommodate sales leads? Where is the training? Train me how to do this and maybe I can do it to your liking.

I've never turned in a lead because I don't really know what to do. I don't talk to customers. So now I need to start talking to them and ask them questions? I told the sales guys that if they want me to do this I need a script. I don't know what to say.

I have no problem say 'hey, large pile of fedex packages at XYZ company' to my center manager or sales guys. But I have no people skills. That's why I'm such a productive driver. I never talk to anyone. When I need to talk to someone at a company I feel like the nerd trying to get a date with the hottest chick in school. I don't know what to say and feel uncomfortable.

Therefore I never have and probably never will turn in a lead.

if you really need help, UPS in my district created lead cards with these types of questions. PM me your center and I will send you some, if I still have them. it was a laminated card your could keep in your pocket.

basically, all we need is a business card.