are there many people out here having problems at home?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sad statement but the other day I asked the center manager "Whats your most important job?". He said "To help keep UPS #1 in the industry". I said "To try to be a a good husband and father". He just walked away

That's because he was asked a trick question and he walked away because he did not want to be around a disingenuous smartbutt.

Buck Fifty

UPS has no interest in the family. There aim is to tear the family apart, just like they try to tear you down at work. Yes it is what it is !!!

stink219

Are there many people out here having problems at home, with all these hours ups have given us.
My center I hear people complaining to many hours, cutting out routes and guys working 11 hours almost every day.......

Everyone that wanted to be a driver knew what there where getting into when they signed the bid... It's the nature of the job long hours good pay great bennys.

I'm home more now than the job I had before this where I worked swing shift 6 days a week in a paper mill my day off was either a m,w,or friend depending on the week Sat was time and half and Sunday was double time. At that job if someone called in you got stuck for another 4 hours or you could take the whole 8 if you wanted.
Not totally true. I agree we knew it would be long days. 7pm WAS reasonable and the understanding that December was the Superbowl. But now it's peak all year and we work 11-12 hours a day. So WE didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. Every physical exertion effects your CNS. Everyday, is a kidney day!!

UPSGUY72

Not totally true. I agree we knew it would be long days. 7pm WAS reasonable and the understanding that December was the Superbowl. But now it's peak all year and we work 11-12 hours a day. So WE didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. Every physical exertion effects your CNS. Everyday, is a kidney day!!

If the job is to physical for you your doing it wrong....(ie not following the methods )

Indecisi0n

If the job is to physical for you your doing it wrong....(ie not following the methods )

I don't think it being too physical but it's just the long hours. In the past month I been pulled off the road 3 times due to being over dispatched and being out until 9:30pm. You would think after all the missed pcs they would say to themselves "OK XXX has too much work" but they don't and it just keeps repeating itself. I find it sort of comical but I don't understand how they can miss these customer package over and over again.

stink219

So what your saying is, I should be able to work 11-12 hours a day without fatigue, exertion, lactic acid buildup, etc?

UPSGUY72

So what your saying is, I should be able to work 11-12 hours a day without fatigue, exertion, lactic acid buildup, etc?

Like I said before you knew what your where getting into when you started. If a hour or two of day more of work is killing you you are out of shape and or not eating healthy foods. If that not case than you need to reach down a grab a set and man up.

IF the packages are to heavy use a hand cart and work in your powerzone. But I suspect like a lot of other people you don't want to use the hand cart because it adds time on to the stop.

I don't have a problem with fatigue, exertion, lactic Acid buildup, etc that you speak of. However when I get home I am a little tired from working all day so I eat, relax and then go to bed a decent hour to be rested for the next day of work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'll bet 75% of the driver at my center that have been here 20+ years have been divorced at least once. I know even though my wife and I knew what we were getting into its going to be hard when she starts working. Her hours will be something like 6-3 mine are now 9-7 or later. That leaves very little time together other than sleeping in the same bed together.

top dollar

I know in my building the divorce rate is very high. It takes a lot out of a couple and or family to do this job. We miss out on the kids sports or whatever they might be into, so we try and get most stuff on the weekends. I love this job but sometimes I just want one or two days a month to get home before the kids are asleep! But we are well taken care of with the benefits and pay, just have to sacrifice a little! I think it's all well worth it...

stink219

Like I said before you knew what your where getting into when you started. If a hour or two of day more of work is killing you you are out of shape and or not eating healthy foods. If that not case than you need to reach down a grab a set and man up.

IF the packages are to heavy use a hand cart and work in your powerzone. But I suspect like a lot of other people you don't want to use the hand cart because it adds time on to the stop.

I don't have a problem with fatigue, exertion, lactic Acid buildup, etc that you speak of. However when I get home I am a little tired from working all day so I eat, relax and then go to bed a decent hour to be rested for the next day of work.
I call BS on you. Or you work on the most delicate route of them all. You must do all res. majority of my packages way over 50lbs. Your speaking from your bum. Once again i have found another narcissist.

oldupsman

The hours are long and hard and that's just the way it is. Always has been and always will.
I spent one summer working starting at 8:15 in the morning
until 8:00 at night.
The year? 1984. It's nothing new. Only you can determine if it's worth it or not. But it's not gonna change.

UPSGUY72

I call BS on you. Or you work on the most delicate route of them all. You must do all res. majority of my packages way over 50lbs. Your speaking from your bum. Once again i have found another narcissist.

I work with my brain 90% of the time apparently you choose to work with your muscles 90% of the time
. There is a big difference that you'll never understand till you change your attitude and ways of doing things. Delivering packages is not a physical job if it was every UPSERS would be a lean mean fighting machine. If you have opened you eyes there not...

packageguy

I work with my brain 90% of the time apparently you choose to work with your muscles 90% of the time
. There is a big difference that you'll never understand till you change your attitude and ways of doing things. Delivering packages is not a physical job if it was every UPSERS would be a lean mean fighting machine. If you have opened you eyes there not...

Hey your right, where I from it's work smart not hard.