Asking drivers to go home

Thatguy123

There's been a big Union issue in our building about so many extra drivers everyday going home, that now s&$# has hit the fan. Now all of us who are lower on the seniority list getting bumped back to the building with being on call for driving. I started FT cover driving back in February and am an extra a few days a week but have always found someone who wants a day off and worked every day since. Now management is saying we can't ask senior drivers to go home anymore and that they have to work everyday.. I understand seniority and right to work, but why does it matter if someone wants a day off and I'm willing to run the route. Now they're going to pay us both to work because I will be getting my hours one way or another. Question is, are we technically not allowed to ask drivers to go home or is this just a new fad? Any suggestions on what you all would do? I'm more than fine showing up in the morning and finding work one way or another

Overpaid Union Thug

There's been a big Union issue in our building about so many extra drivers everyday going home, that now s&$# has hit the fan. Now all of us who are lower on the seniority list getting bumped back to the building with being on call for driving. I started FT cover driving back in February and am an extra a few days a week but have always found someone who wants a day off and worked every day since. Now management is saying we can't ask senior drivers to go home anymore and that they have to work everyday.. I understand seniority and right to work, but why does it matter if someone wants a day off and I'm willing to run the route. Now they're going to pay us both to work because I will be getting my hours one way or another. Question is, are we technically not allowed to ask drivers to go home or is this just a new fad? Any suggestions on what you all would do? I'm more than fine showing up in the morning and finding work one way or another
All I can say is that people need to be careful what they wish for and chose their battles wisely. At both ends (the seniority list) of that issue.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You can ask drivers all you want. It is up to management to allow them to go home and let you do their route.

They may be paying both of you, but they have building people laid off because you were bumped back.

Unless they were short handed, you laid off a lower seniority person by being bumped back.

BrownTexas

You would have to get with the highest senior driver and have him bump you for the unpaid time off. If he doesn't want to then go down the line. If not, they will have to file the seniority violation.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You would have to get with the highest senior driver and have him bump you for the unpaid time off. If he doesn't want to then go down the line. If not, they will have to file the seniority violation.

How can you "bump" someone to get a day off?

The least senior employees are laid off first.

You cannot say that Tom is not working and I have more seniority so I am going to bump him and not work.

The high seniority driver can ask to have the day off and it is up to management to allow him the day off and cover him with a cover driver.

DOK

Does this somehow hurt the locals pension fund? Having a FT driver go home and have someone cover for him. We had a FT driver take 16 layoff days in May. I wondered if he'd get a pension contribution that month.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does this somehow hurt the locals pension fund? Having a FT driver go home and have someone cover for him. We had a FT driver take 16 layoff days in May. I wondered if he'd get a pension contribution that month.

This is an excellent point. In our pension fund, he would only get pension hours for the hours (straight) that he actually worked, up to 2080. Taking too many "dead days" during their career may actually come back to bite them in the butt if they don't have enough pension credits to be eligible for retirement. We had one driver who had to work 6 months beyond her projected date for this very reason.

To the OP----when I was a casual I used to come work every day, whether scheduled or not, and was always able to find someone willing to take the day. I agree with you that it shouldn't matter as long as the route is covered.

9.5er

Dumbest thing ever. If there are extra drivers and some one wants a day off why not allow it. Shouldn't matter who runs the route as long as the job gets done.

The issue in my center is the same driver getting the day off all the time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Question is, are we technically not allowed to ask drivers to go home or is this just a new fad?
You can ask anything you want, doesn't mean you will get it. I think it's funny when people ask questions like this one though, does UPS have you by the b*lls or what? LOL

Management wants to play their favorites and allow certain cover drivers to work, and do certain duties, while others are laid off or working in bldg and don't even know about what is going on. I do see that.

Also, there may be some discipline issues with this....meaning that if certain drivers have attendance issues, it could become a gray area if there are quite a few "dead" days to mix in, and management wants to be strict with the FT drivers working five days a week and attendance.

QualityLoads

Im not sure how this works either. I have really low seniority, 2nd lowest. Two days ago there was no work for me. I found a full timer doing a crappy route loaded with apartments that wanted to go home so we both went to our manager. i offered to run the route bilnd. They let me run the route and sent the full timer for a light 4 hour shift at a busy mall. I did pretty good on the route and they kept me on it yesterday as well.

I got 2 oppurtunities to drive when i otherwise wouldve been laid off for the day. Now i plan on walking up and down the belt every morning asking drivers if they want the day. It seems like you have come at management with the right approach. I dont want to be told im not allowed to cover a driver that wants a day off.

Ecw21411

Dumbest thing ever. If there are extra drivers and some one wants a day off why not allow it. Shouldn't matter who runs the route as long as the job gets done.

The issue in my center is the same driver getting the day off all the time.
Same in my center same ones getting the days off

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You cannot say that Tom is not working and I have more seniority so I am going to bump him and not work.

The high seniority driver can ask to have the day off and it is up to management to allow him the day off and cover him with a cover driver.

It depends on what your Local Seniority practice is.

In my Local, seniority prevails. If both drivers have a posted start time....

a senior driver can bump a junior one for the day off, when there are extras.

-Bug-

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
All i know management likes to put smart drivers on any route knowing they will bust their ass and not screw up the report

BrownTexas

If your not in the southern supplement, then I'm not going to explain it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It depends on what your Local Seniority practice is.

In my Local, seniority prevails. If both drivers have a posted start time....

a senior driver can bump a junior one for the day off, when there are extras.

-Bug-

I agree. If they both have a posted start time in packages and they have extra drivers. Seniority prevails.

But the OP was sent back inside, not needed in packages, until further notice, and given an inside start time while being on call for packages.

In this situation, a driver does not have the ability to "go home" and force UPS to use an on call driver to cover that route.

UPS can allow him to go home and then use the OP to cover his route. But the decision is the company's, not the employees.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If your not in the southern supplement, then I'm not going to explain it.

Southern Region Supplement

Article 49 Section 7

1. When it becomes necessary to reduce the number of coverage
drivers in a Center, the least senior part-time coverage employee
shall be laid off first.

2. When work no longer exists in a Center for part-time coverage
drivers, they will immediately revert back to their regular part-time
job with all part-time seniority.

3. Part-time coverage employees shall continue to accrue part-time
seniority and shall have the right to bid on available part-time jobs.

The OP was sent back inside being on call as a package driver

Article 64

When time off is available it shall be offered in seniority order by
classification as long as it does not result in economic cost to the
Employer.

The OP is a cover driver no longer needed and sent back inside with an inside start time. The high seniority driver cannot elect to go home and force them to use a cover driver who already has a start time inside, not packages.

He is just on call for packages.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our cover drivers are all regular FT so if we have extra the option to go home gets offered in seniority order. Periodically it has to be grieved to remind the center team how it works.

Overpaid Union Thug

A center could just as easily lay off drivers from the bottom. They'd have less phone calls to make every morning. Some centers do that. It sucks because the laid off drivers in some areas go back to inside rate after 7 days inside and the more senior drivers have to call in to get unscheduled days off.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The OP is a cover driver no longer needed and sent back inside with an inside start time. The high seniority driver cannot elect to go home and force them to use a cover driver who already has a start time inside, not packages.

He is just on call for packages.

That's where it helps to know, what supplement people are covered by.

In the Central, we would follow the lay-off language.

And there is no such thing.... as "on-call" in pkg car.

The rest of your post (and point) seem correct, based on that language.

Our cover drivers are all regular FT so if we have extra the option to go home gets offered in seniority order. Periodically it has to be grieved to remind the center team how it works.

Periodically, we have to remind them of our Local Rider/Seniority practice.

The company tries to pull that "area knowledge" crap.

It lasts all of a day.

-Bug-

PhatAzz

How many days does a TCD have to work in order to file for a permanent FT position to be created? 156?

That could be why.

If all the drivers are permanent FT then it shouldn't matter. Offer the day off in seniority order.