Bloodbath

PPH_over_9000

Here’s the thing, you do this once and your day sucks. You do it for a week and that week sucks. But eventually, and usually pretty quickly, you get used to it. It’s just how your day goes.

But management will notice as well. They’ll leave you out there the first few days. Then they’ll start sending help because there are service issues. Might even drag you in for a conversation. Let them know that you’re done working for free, if you’re going to go out that heavy you will fix it on the clock when you’re on the road.

They see you doing it, they will eventually change things around because someone above them will start asking questions. They want to stay off the radar as bad as you do for stuff like this. It won’t happen over night but you have to stay the course. You cave and they know they have you back.

Also, put in 2 8hr requests a month. They will have to cut your dispatch and establish an 8hr day for you. If they don’t, file. Last thing they’ll want to do is pay out penalty money and should help speed up the process.

Thank you for this.

I've tried following this approach before but only made it a short while before I found myself coming in to massage the load again.

The conversation with management happened in November and I stuck to my guns.... but then peak hit, they fired my helper for attendance, I refused another, they stopped anchoring PVDs and before I know it I've got one of the 3 heaviest routes in a center that puts out about 75 a day.

I don't need the seasonal help one way or another and I don't want anyone riding with me all day-- I just want them to recognize what a fair day's worth of work is.

I'm gonna give it another go, though. Peak's over from what I can understand and now's the time to set the tone for the rest of the year. I'm not here to slouch but I also want to feel like I've earned my pay. It's a fine line to toe in my building.

JustDeliverIt

Thank you for this.

I've tried following this approach before but only made it a short while before I found myself coming in to massage the load again.

The conversation with management happened in November and I stuck to my guns.... but then peak hit, they fired my helper for attendance, I refused another, they stopped anchoring PVDs and before I know it I've got one of the 3 heaviest routes in a center that puts out about 75 a day.

I don't need the seasonal help one way or another and I don't want anyone riding with me all day-- I just want them to recognize what a fair day's worth of work is.

I'm gonna give it another go, though. Peak's over from what I can understand and now's the time to set the tone for the rest of the year. I'm not here to slouch but I also want to feel like I've earned my pay. It's a fine line to toe in my building.

Peak is a different situation, helpers and PVD’s are there as help if we want them or not. This is more about establishing your normal for the year.

Follow the methods and work to the best of your ability each day and it will sort itself out.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
It makes fake numbers
Nobody wants to see the real problems it's all a dog and pony show here

That's one thing I can honestly say about my Center manager he strongly agrees that people should not be working off the clock.
Yep. More than one bid driver has gotten 3 day production rides out of runners blowing up routes.

There are sources for the claims, what misinformation are you talking about? Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it not true
It's not "misinformation". It's disinformation. Conditions on the ground cancel out any argument that you put forward to the contrary.
You are clutching the stock market which was until a short time ago lower than when Biden took office. It's almost like people from all over the world can invest in the market or something.
We need big, beautiful shower heads that flow at 5gpm.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Thank you for this.

Here's my take as a guy who did this for 32 years, read every post in this thread, and have seen this situation a thousand times. You coming in and, as you put it, "massaging the load" undercuts you're very own complaint to management about the quality of your load. The only thing management ever responds to is the numbers. Verbal complaints from drivers fall on deaf ears. The only thing that will get them to light a fire under the loader's butt will be either you running very late, or not finishing at all resulting in service failures. Coming in and sorting off the clock is allowing you to run, I'm guessing, on time, or close to it. They're saving money, and even more important to management, their preload numbers are looking better in the eyes of their boss because all the loader has to do is toss it in the truck, you're sorting it. Why would they do anything to slow the loader down by doing his job correctly which will definitely be a hit to their numbers, while you're working and picking up the slack for free? At the center I worked, the steward would give you one warning about working off the clock, next time, it was a union fine. So, not only were you working for free and giving up your personal time, you were coming out of pocket too.

A few UPS nevers other than the obvious things that would get you fired...
Never work off the clock.
Never undercut you're own argument. You say in the AM that you're going to be late...make sure you run late. You say your load quality is bad, leave it bad and run late. Etc... Don't be the cries wolf guy.
Never skip your breaks.
Never take your breaks at the building. That just helps them overload you as well. If they want that pickup volume back in the building by a certain time, they'll have to adjust your day to make it happen.
Never burn off your own route. If it's your bid route, use all the methods. Once you burn it off, you've set a new time precedent.
I'm sure I missed a few, but you get the gist.

Commercial Inside Release

For the culture at that center to be so messed up, the union has to have their priorities like this...

Stewards that signed up, just to get easy days.
Business agents that are clueless, corrupt, lazy, maximizing perks.
(I know of one that would schedule hearings and panels around events he wanted to attend, and put zero effort into panels.)

Managers up to district level that conspire to corrupt union officials.

An echelon of teamsters at each of the centers under the corrupt umbrella, partying and accepting favors from management.

A culture of working off the clock, cutting corners, ignoring the methods, hiding injuries.

Harassing injured workers, harassing drivers & loaders that put in a fair days work, for a fair days pay.

Corrupted dispatch and ORSs that harass and bury teamsters that aren't part of the club.

Giving the absolute worst equipment to drivers that aren't part of their little club.

Denying days off, screwing with paychecks, assigning disgusting tasks when they demand their eight hours, accusations of wrong doing, etc.

When several centers in an area are so corrupted, everyone is runner and willing to gang up on new workers, while the union sits on their hands... It is beyond fixing.

He'll be back to working off the clock, and running by Jan 15th. But now, he'll have a massive target on his back.

oldngray

nowhere special
Welcome to the party, pal! 🤣
200.gif