Can the Union Force Local 89?

Satuirus2000

Actually UPS is enhancing our buses somewhat. Currently most of the shuttles that run have no air or heat. When a shuttle comes, they are usually 3 buses that are hooked together. There are so many people at Worldport that this is necessary to get the most amount of people to their work area in a "timely" manner, but even so they fill up to the brim(people have to stand as well) fast and you'll find yourself waiting awhile for the next bus, whenever it decides to get there.

What UPS is planning on doing is getting rid of the old shuttles and running 9 new single buses(without two more attached) that have heat and air. They plan to do this in stages so I think all 9 are supposed to be on property by July of this year(Some are already being run). This is good and bad. Good that the buses are better quality, but bad because now you can fit less people on the bus. UPS does NOT run these back to back( ie, bringing two at a time)like they should be doing if they go through with ditching the 3 in one shuttle bus. Less people you can fit on just one bus equals more waiting time, only exacerbating the wasted unpaid time you go through to get to work. Combine this with a parking lot move, the potential for problems is high.

Last edited:

Stonefish

I'm from Local 89 so let me again explain the shuttle issues. Yes, people knew about having to ride the shuttle when first hired. But you are told that it will only take around 10 minutes or so to get from the gate to your building. That's just not accurate and it can actually take you up to 30 minutes. People think they'll get around 25 hours or so when they sign up to work so maybe they didn't think it was a big deal at the time, but then reality sets in. When you only work 3 hours or so, you can't really afford to be wasting up to an hour a day in unpaid time. People have second jobs and school that they need to attend to to make ends meet etc.

Second, as I've mentioned in the past, Worldport keeps expanding, which is great, but that also greatly increases the time it takes to get to your particular building the farther out it is into the hub. For some a ride might used to take them 10 minutes in the past, but that isn't the case now. And finally, our parking lot is being closed and being moved even FARTHER away from our hub across the freeway. So in the future we will have to park in the new lot, take a bus that will take us across the freeway to the guard shack, then take ANOTHER bus to get to our area. If it takes 20-30 minutes now, I shudder to think what it will be in the future.

UPS offered us the shuttle incentive because they knew it'd be cheaper to pay us that than to pay us some kind of hourly compensation and that's why it was rejected by us. That tells me they know the shuttle problem is ridiculous and they need to compensate us somehow. But now they've even taken that out of their "best and final offer," which seems disingenuous.

And it's not just the shuttle issue that's a problem here. It takes nearly 17 years just to even attempt to be full time at UPS Local 89. There are 8000 employes here but only 750 full time positions. Subcontracting issues, etc etc. I don't know why people seem to only want to focus on one issue that we have instead of looking at them all as a whole. I wish we had other people's support but I guess we'll just do our best alone .We probably will get very little or nothing at all, but I'm glad we are at least trying. I don't think our wants are unreasonable.

Have they attempted in previous negotiations to fix the shuttle issue?
Did they pull the shuttle incentive off the table when the fixed the 6 hour pension problem?
Have the subcontracting and safety issues been grieved?
No matter what people think about what I say I do support you and your co-workers but I would have grieved some of these issues prior to negotiations to get them fixed because there is language to help.

Stonefish

Just wondering:
Where's all the trash talk against L710?

Evidently, their people aren't in a position to challenge Hoffa's next pick for GP?

Why don't you 407 boys run your mouths against their stance and tell them they're uneducated too?

Hopefully, the Cleveland area will break off from Ohio and float up and stick on to Michigan so they can enjoy your company and wisdom.

Why would you be so mean to Michigan?

upschuck

Just read in the Lou Rider(Page 23) that all you have to be at shuttle 20 mins before start time, and if it takes longer then UPS pays from your regular start time, and no occurrence given. If this is not happening, has it been grieved?

10 point

Actually UPS is enhancing our buses somewhat. Currently most of the shuttles that run have no air or heat. When a shuttle comes, they are usually 3 buses that are hooked together. There are so many people at Worldport that this is necessary to get the most amount of people to their work area in a "timely" manner, but even so they fill up to the brim(people have to stand as well) fast and you'll find yourself waiting awhile for the next bus, whenever it decides to get there.

What UPS is planning on doing is getting rid of the old shuttles and running 9 new single buses(without two more attached) that have heat and air. They plan to do this in stages so I think all 9 are supposed to be on property by July of this year(Some are already being run). This is good and bad. Good that the buses are better quality, but bad because now you can fit less people on the bus. UPS does NOT run these back to back( ie, bringing two at a time)like they should be doing if they go through with ditching the 3 in one shuttle bus. Less people you can fit on just one bus equals more waiting time, only exacerbating the wasted unpaid time you go through to get to work. Combine this with a parking lot move, the potential for problems is high.
LouKy sardine cans. That's what they are. Summertime sucks riding in them.
Its a good thing you don't start work at noon.

Stonefish

Just read in the Lou Rider(Page 23) that all you have to be at shuttle 20 mins before start time, and if it takes longer then UPS pays from your regular start time, and no occurrence given. If this is not happening, has it been grieved?
That is why I asked if any of these issues have been grieved.

upschuck

I thought you were referring to other problems. I've not heard on this forum about the 20 min rule before.

I like to read things for myself instead of relying on other people's spin and slant on things, which we've heard a lot on this contract.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Requiring employees to perform work-related duties off the clock is also a violation of the NLRA. While it might be a bit of a long shot, 89 could have filed labor charges on the issue had any major grievance been deadlocked. I did a cursory case file search and couldn't find anything related to the shuttle issue.

10 point

Oh yes I did.
I was Safety Manager for a year as well.
My daughter can recite the 10 point commentary.
That's pretty cool. Then you already know the answer to your question.
Looks like your children will have a jump start on being the best drivers in their class.....and your insurance rates will be better than most! :)

10 point

He sounds like a man who cares about his children. If more kids followed UPS safe driving methods, less kids would die in car accidents.
Great post Jones.

As you walk thru the auto scrap yard you can read the "No fear" stickers on the rear windows of the cars that no longer have a front end.

Kids just don't understand how quickly life can change or be over while changing a CD.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Great post Jones.

As you walk thru the auto scrap yard you can read the "No fear" stickers on the rear windows of the cars that no longer have a front end.

Kids just don't understand how quickly life can change or be over while changing a CD.
No one under 25 has changed a cd in a car for the last 5 years.