Can you get fired for calling in?

ihatemyjob

I was looking in the contract, but I didn't see anywhere where it says that you can be fired for calling in too many times. If not, I'm just assuming management will try and make your life a living hell by repeatedly doing observations and such...

over9five

Staff member
Progressive Discipline. They can't *just* fire you, they have to go thru a process.
If you hate your job, get another.

Welcome to Brown Cafe.

over9five

Staff member
You're welcome.

Here, it's something like:

1. Verbal warning
2. Written warning
3. Fired

But, if a certain amount of time passes between the steps, they have to start all over again. Sometimes they'll even tell you. "You can't bang in till Jan 9th".

UPSGUY72

Yes you can get fired. How quickly they fire you depends on what job you have. If your work PT on the preload or loacal sort they will get rid of you rather quickly because they don't just have extra people hanging around to do your job. On the other hand if your a driver you would have to be trying to get fired by calling in 2 or 3 times a month.

TheKid

Yes....you can get fired for calling in too much. Thr idea of this whole job thing is showing up and doing it. Let me guess your age.....28 - 32 ?

ihatemyjob

Well I haven't received a verbal warning yet, but I made my 30 days and since then my wrist and back have been killing me(I've made it clear that the injuries weren't from UPS even though they probably were, but I'd rather not have a sup following me around watching me work). I've been calling in once or twice every two-three weeks because of them and I'm sort of scared of losing my job. Part Time Freight Loader btw.

UPSGUY72

Well I haven't received a verbal warning yet, but I made my 30 days and since then my wrist and back have been killing me(I've made it clear that the injuries weren't from UPS even though they probably were, but I'd rather not have a sup following me around watching me work). I've been calling in once or twice every two-three weeks because of them and I'm sort of scared of losing my job. Part Time Freight Loader btw.

Your first mistake was telling them that you got injured somewhere else? IF you told them you did at work they would have put you on lite duty gave you a little refresher training and moved on. Than when you call in they can't do anything about it except send you to a DR. This is why you alway report a injury no matter how small to a SUP.

Now that you told them that you got injured somewhere else your are screwed. You might by able to take some time off and get short time disabilty benifits.

satellitedriver

Wow!!!!!!!!
Scared of losing the job you do not do,
once or twice every two to three weeks?
I am having a hard time doing the math, but one thing is certain.
You have been able to "call in" more in one month than I have in 24yrs.
For some strange reason, the term work ethic comes to mind.

JonFrum

You're welcome.

Here, it's something like:

1. Verbal warning
2. Written warning
3. Fired

But, if a certain amount of time passes between the steps, they have to start all over again. Sometimes they'll even tell you. "You can't bang in till Jan 9th".
1. Verbal warning
2. Written warning
2.5 Suspension (1 day, 3 day, 5 day, whatever)
3. Fired

I always like the logic of punishing someone with days off for taking days off. Especially if they need still more days off to heal up.