climate catastrophe

vantexan

Here’s a thread with some of the people who were in the plan still around. a lot of those guys rolled 80 to 100 K into the stock after the first plan went away. And it was only six dollars a week and it made a very nice return pretty much every year..
Again, special company plan that most people would never have a chance at something similar.

Thebrownblob

I never said it was a union plan. I said it was a special company plan and as such isn't comparable to what you'd get in the average mutual fund contributing $6k in 20 years.

Unions are a Democrat thing. Show me one union in the U.S. started by and supported by Republicans?

You're kidding yourself if you think the Teamsters were not only Democrat supported but they also funded a lot of Democrat candidates.
I never suggested you said it wasn’t we didn’t have a 401(k) back then don’t believe the 401(k) was an option until in the 90s for us or as far as I can remember.

The fact that Republicans don’t support unions is certainly a problem, but the idea that you think that we don’t give to Republicans is hilarious. we give to anybody who supports labor. Please tell me some more about what pac funds will give you and won’t give to you I really want to hear this.

Thebrownblob

Again, special company plan that most people would never have a chance at something similar.

OK what does that have to do with it being democrat? you don’t think other companies had special funds? You don’t think there’s all kinds of ways to save money? you said nobody could put six dollars away and make any money and when you’re shown wrong you make another ridiculous notion. I was only in it for a few years I believe I cashed out with close to 8K.

vantexan

I never suggested you said it wasn’t we didn’t have a 401(k) back then don’t believe the 401(k) was an option until in the 90s for us or as far as I can remember.

The fact that Republicans don’t support unions is certainly a problem, but the idea that you think that we don’t give to Republicans is hilarious. we give to anybody who supports labor. Please tell me some more about what pac funds will give you and won’t give to you I really want to hear this.
Name one Republican ever that said when campaigning we must support unions to give workers a better life? I support the Republican Party primarily because of their stance on social issues but I'm not kidding myself into believing that they would necessarily take those stands if it didn't lead to getting the Christian vote. You succeeded in large part because you worked for a unionized company that got their drivers much better pay after the 1997 strike. What was top pay after that, $32hr or so? Even a part timer working 30 hours a week would gross close to $50k with that kind of pay.

pkgdriver

OK what does that have to do with it being democrat? you don’t think other companies had special funds? You don’t think there’s all kinds of ways to save money? you said nobody could put six dollars away and make any money and when you’re shown wrong you make another ridiculous notion. I was only in it for a few years I believe I cashed out with close to 8K.
That six dollars a week did very well for me and anybody else in it.

vantexan

I didn't say it was a union plan or a Democrat plan. Name the companies with similar performing funds? And you said hundreds of thousands of dollars. Only after converting to stock. Even so to get up to $165,000 would mean it was due to the company's performance, stock splits, etc. There's no way $6k contributed to an average mutual fund would perform as well or not be roiled by downturns. A private company fund would do much betfer. And you denied people were making $50k at UPS in 1991. How could they not make that or more with top pay and some OT?

Thebrownblob

Name one Republican ever that said when campaigning we must support unions to give workers a better life? I support the Republican Party primarily because of their stance on social issues but I'm not kidding myself into believing that they would necessarily take those stands if it didn't lead to getting the Christian vote. You succeeded in large part because you worked for a unionized company that got their drivers much better pay after the 1997 strike. What was top pay after that, $32hr or so? Even a part timer working 30 hours a week would gross close to $50k with that kind of pay.
I believe top pay after the strike was around 28 at the end of that contract, part-timers did not make that.

Republicans never say that, never said they did but sometimes they do support our issues and we do support them when they do. Many times Democrats say all those things and don’t do any of them politicians are a fickle group and mostly care about money.

Certainly, I succeeded in part because I work for a union company but I made a choice to work for that company. And I made that choice after I had a college education. Success is mostly based on someone’s choices unless, of course you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, which I was not. I’m sorry you don’t know that after living this long. What someone perceives as success is not always the same and I understand that if you’re happy where you are that’s fine the whole idea behind this conversation was that I think we could’ve done better but you’re happy where you’re at. 🤷‍♂️ those parallels seem to have carried over to much of your life and if it works for you fine.

vantexan

That six dollars a week did very well for me and anybody else in it.
Show me a similar mutual fund in that time frame that performed that well on $6 a week? More power to all of you but my whole point from the get go is tens of millions of people never had the income or benefits you enjoyed at UPS but y'all want to take away their SS because it may have meant more in your pocket. That's just sad

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

Show me a similar mutual fund in that time frame that performed that well on $6 a week? More power to all of you but my whole point from the get go is tens of millions if people never had the income or benefits you enjoyed at UPS but y'all want to take away their SS because it may have meant mire in your pocket. That's just sad
Y’all. lol never said that, it would be impossible. I said had some of those ideas come about it would’ve been better for the people coming after, taking care of those who are already in it would’ve been of the upmost importance without it wouldn’t have happened and maybe that’s why it never did. Remember I would’ve had money in that as well so I would’ve been cutting my own throat. If I just wanted to take it away.

vantexan

I believe top pay after the strike was around 28 at the end of that contract, part-timers did not make that.

Republicans never say that, never said they did but sometimes they do support our issues and we do support them when they do. Many times Democrats say all those things and don’t do any of them politicians are a fickle group and mostly care about money.

Certainly, I succeeded in part because I work for a union company but I made a choice to work for that company. And I made that choice after I had a college education. Success is mostly based on someone’s choices unless, of course you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, which I was not. I’m sorry you don’t know that after living this long. What someone perceives as success is not always the same and I understand that if you’re happy where you are that’s fine the whole idea behind this conversation was that I think we could’ve done better but you’re happy where you’re at. 🤷‍♂️ those parallels seem to have carried over to much of your life and if it works for you fine.
When you became full-time in the early 2000's your income was soon $75k or more annually? Tens of millions nationwide worked hard for less than half of that. Plenty worked for less than a third of that. Exactly why they need a program like SS. That doesn't guarantee a great retirement but at least they won't starve.

My pension drops to about $1400 a year when I turn 67. It and my SS will get me about $25k a year. That's plenty to get by on. I've traveled. Don't feel the need to do that anymore but if I do I know how to do that cheaply too. I don't party, haven't had alcohol in three years. I don't need to wear the latest clothes. I usually eat one meal a day and a snack. If anything I will be putting away money every month. It took me a long time to appreciate a minimalist lifestyle but I've never felt deprived once I started.

Thebrownblob

When you became full-time in the early 2000's your income was soon $75k or more annually? Tens of millions nationwide worked hard for less than half of that. Plenty worked for less than a third of that. Exactly why they need a program like SS. That doesn't guarantee a great retirement but at least they won't starve.

My pension drops to about $1400 a year when I turn 67. It and my SS will get me about $25k a year. That's plenty to get by on. I've traveled. Don't feel the need to do that anymore but if I do I know how to do that cheaply too. I don't party, haven't had alcohol in three years. I don't need to wear the latest clothes. I usually eat one meal a day and a snack. If anything I will be putting away money every month. It took me a long time to appreciate a minimalist lifestyle but I've never felt deprived once I started.
Ok

vantexan

Y’all. lol never said that, it would be impossible. I said had some of those ideas come about it would’ve been better for the people coming after, taking care of those who are already in it would’ve been of the upmost importance without it wouldn’t have happened and maybe that’s why it never did. Remember I would’ve had money in that as well so I would’ve been cutting my own throat. If I just wanted to take it away.
If I misread you my apologies but sure seemed that you were calling all of us dependent with a poverty mindset and that you greatly resented having to contribute to SS.

pkgdriver

Show me a similar mutual fund in that time frame that performed that well on $6 a week? More power to all of you but my whole point from the get go is tens of millions of people never had the income or benefits you enjoyed at UPS but y'all want to take away their SS because it may have meant more in your pocket. That's just sad
Fidelity Magellan(Peter Lynch) had similar returns I believe.

Thebrownblob

If I misread you my apologies but sure seemed that you were calling all of us dependent with a poverty mindset and that you greatly resented having to contribute to SS.

No sir never, matter matter fact, I said, I’m happy you’re getting a couple thousand a month that you’re getting but I feel you deserved more.

I have no doubt that I have a good job but it didn’t just fall in my lap. It just makes me wonder why did you spend so much time at a job that treated you so poorly wouldn’t have stayed at UPS if it was treating me similarly monetarily.

vantexan

No sir never, matter matter fact, I said, I’m happy you’re getting a couple thousand a month that you’re getting but I feel you deserved more.

I have no doubt that I have a good job but it didn’t just fall in my lap. It just makes me wonder why did you spend so much time at a job that treated you so poorly wouldn’t have stayed at UPS if it was treating me similarly monetarily.
I was working towards getting a pension. When FedEx dropped the traditional pension in 2008 guess what the economy was doing? And in 2011 I almost died from a plugged up artery. I was pretty much stuck being a 49 year old diabetic heart patient with no training in anything else. But I could see the end in the horizon and retired at 55. My biggest mistake was quitting in 1997 and rehiring back on. I paid for that big time. Second biggest mistake is marrying a woman at 51 who told me what I wanted to hear but was really only interested in me moving up to Kansas to help her pay for everything.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I never said it was a union plan. I said it was a special company plan and as such isn't comparable to what you'd get in the average mutual fund contributing $6k in 20 years.

Unions are a Democrat thing. Show me one union in the U.S. started by and supported by Republicans?

You're kidding yourself if you think the Teamsters were not only Democrat supported but they also funded a lot of Democrat candidates.
Teamsters endorsed Reagan's first run.