Comedy night for teamster United...

BrownBrokeDown

LOL, your boy Hoffa ran on that old specific line: "Restore the Power!" Remember that?? What did that actually mean?? We had just restored the power by taking on Brown in 1997 and here he is in 1998 or 2001 saying "restore the power"!! LOL!! What i think he meant was Restore the (Old Guard to) Power!!
In 1998 Hoffa didnt have a record to run on or a real platform of ideas. Just a meaningless slogan and a very well known name. He capitalized on the Teamster FUnd raising scandal in 1998 to win his first election. Then once again in 2001 capitalized on Ron Carey's indictment and trial in 2001 to win re-election. Now he is an entrenched incumbent with nothing of significance to brag about in 16 years but his ability to win elections. Alas!! He should run for COngress instead of wasting our time and our future!!
The current election:

Hoffa=we know what he stands for, we know what he does, we know how he does it. We have seen him in the international office, we don't necessarily need him to answer the questions, because we have examples we can look at.

TU=Have never held international office. This does not mean that they can't do a wonderful job. But all we get is generic answers, HH bashing. What we need to know in order to make an informed decision is their plans on how they are going to make everything better. Just saying we will fight harder doesnt mean :censored2:. WHATS THE STRATEGY???

804brown

The current election:

Hoffa=we know what he stands for, we know what he does, we know how he does it. We have seen him in the international office, we don't necessarily need him to answer the questions, because we have examples we can look at.

TU=Have never held international office. This does not mean that they can't do a wonderful job. But all we get is generic answers, HH bashing. What we need to know in order to make an informed decision is their plans on how they are going to make everything better. Just saying we will fight harder doesnt mean :censored2:. WHATS THE STRATEGY???
Actually, Tim was an Intl Organizer in the 90s under Carey and Fred Z was Carhauler Director under Hoffa until recently. Remember Hoffa never held Intl office before 1999.
As for Teamsters United being for something, well you might not have heard them speak in person then. Each time ive heard Tim or Fred speak they speak of the problems in the contracts that Hoffa/Hall have negotiated and how easily they gave away the store with all the leverage we had. They point to how they individually negotiate on the local level with UPS and how they have negotiated strong local supplements,etc. They too have a record for everyone to see.
They mention how they plan to mobilize the rank and file for the next contract in advance and have rank and file committees (both for FT and PTers) to advise the negotiators.
They talk about having education seminars for not just the officers but for the rank and file as well.
If you have listened to any of Tim's speeches, you would hear him talk of how he approaches negotiations like an organizer,etc.
The campaign has just begun. You are right too much negative stuff is highlighted and not enough positive stuff of what will be different. "The answers are coming"!!

wreckingball251

MORE...and without concessions. Again, look what he was able to accomplish in a very short time here in local 804. Cow towing to UPS since 1998 has gotten us mediocre raises and concessions. Tim's method consists of standing up to UPS, demonstrating that the membership is behind us and not willing to back down. UPS saw the strength and solidarity of our local and gave in to US!! Tim can and should feel proud of his first contract while Hoffa/Hall should be ashamed.
I heard that Tim has no confidence at his own local..probably not even gonna win the local election...tell me again how Tim is a better choice.

804brown

I heard that Tim has no confidence at his own local..probably not even gonna win the local election...tell me again how Tim is a better choice.
Oh good you "heard". I never knew "wrecking balls" had ears!! Anyway, if the members had "no confidence" in Tim, they would have come to the past few union meetings and yelled and screamed and demanded his head. Members would have shunned him at the buildings he visits. I think you are just reading some biased reports by some unreliable posters on this site.

Spongebob1

To paraphrase this post, "We will do better than Junior", and "Junior is a pos".

HOW?

It's right there in the post,....
1. Closing the concession stand,......that pretty much says it all,......
2. Working for us,....not just a select group,....
3. They've got a plan for the pension crisis,...
4. Working for better contracts in all crafts, that means putting SMART people on the right committees, and leading those people to get better contracts,
Here's just a few things they plan on working on,
They will be in the south, Atlanta and Nashville,....
Sept, and Oct,....

Spongebob1

BrokeDownBrown,.....Yeah, I'm not a Junior fan, but it is possible to make a bad (depending on how you view it) situation worse. But i have yet to hear anything that TU stands for, except "We are against Junior/Hall/O'brian", and "We would have done better".

I am not a supporter for Junior (who is not OG). The 2 biggest arguments against him, which I agree with but seems to being pushed under the rug, is the extended progression and the already retired getting screwed.

I've read several of your post, and you seemed to say in most of them that YOU are not a Junior fan, or not a supporter of Junior,......please tell us WHY,....
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...r-teamster-united.366054/page-3#ixzz3jyPJfEII

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...r-teamster-united.366054/page-5#ixzz3jyOA3LSs

BrownBrokeDown

BrokeDownBrown,.....Yeah, I'm not a Junior fan, but it is possible to make a bad (depending on how you view it) situation worse. But i have yet to hear anything that TU stands for, except "We are against Junior/Hall/O'brian", and "We would have done better".

I am not a supporter for Junior (who is not OG). The 2 biggest arguments against him, which I agree with but seems to being pushed under the rug, is the extended progression and the already retired getting screwed.

I've read several of your post, and you seemed to say in most of them that YOU are not a Junior fan, or not a supporter of Junior,......please tell us WHY,....
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...r-teamster-united.366054/page-3#ixzz3jyPJfEII

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...r-teamster-united.366054/page-5#ixzz3jyOA3LSs
Why? Maybe you should have went back on my posts to during the contract negotiations. Better yet, I believe maybe you should have read the post you quoted...I understood a lot of the "concessions", the 2 that are near unforgivable imo is the progression and how much the already retired are now having to pay for insurance. I would have understood if the new retirees had to pay more, but the current retirees rates should have been frozen. Wait, thats what it says in my post, how weird. Now how do they plan on accomplishing everything they say they are going to change?

BrownBrokeDown

It's right there in the post,....
1. Closing the concession stand,......that pretty much says it all,......
2. Working for us,....not just a select group,....
3. They've got a plan for the pension crisis,...
4. Working for better contracts in all crafts, that means putting SMART people on the right committees, and leading those people to get better contracts,
Here's just a few things they plan on working on,
They will be in the south, Atlanta and Nashville,....
Sept, and Oct,....

1.)what is their strategy in negotiations at a national level in today's economic enviroment? If we strike over nationally leading pay, the majority of the public will be against us. How will they get the public behind us, as that is one of the most important parts of a strike. How will they approach Amazons threats to pull business if we strike (you know they will at least threaten). There is a lot more to it than "close the concession stand".

2.)Maybe expand on this? pretty broad statement here.

3.)OK, lets hear it

4.)Once again just a broad, general, politician's statement with no meat to it.

And as I previously posted this morning, I am in Oklahoma. 2 jobs, wife, kids, yeah Nashville and Atlanta is a little far for me.

804brown

1.)what is their strategy in negotiations at a national level in today's economic enviroment? If we strike over nationally leading pay, the majority of the public will be against us. How will they get the public behind us, as that is one of the most important parts of a strike. How will they approach Amazons threats to pull business if we strike (you know they will at least threaten). There is a lot more to it than "close the concession stand".

2.)Maybe expand on this? pretty broad statement here.

3.)OK, lets hear it

4.)Once again just a broad, general, politician's statement with no meat to it.

And as I previously posted this morning, I am in Oklahoma. 2 jobs, wife, kids, yeah Nashville and Atlanta is a little far for me.
But Hall conceded away our right to strike BEFORE negotiations even started!! They gave away our biggest and only leverage. No one wants a strike but without that option, you come to a gunfight with a steak knife.

BrownBrokeDown

But Hall conceded away our right to strike BEFORE negotiations even started!! They gave away our biggest and only leverage. No one wants a strike but without that option, you come to a gunfight with a steak knife.
correct. I am not saying that he didn't or that i don't disagree with this. It was a concession to Amazon's threats. What I am asking is, how would the TU slate have approached this situation?

I don't get how this is so hard to understand. We all know what HH have done, some may agree with it, some may not agree with it, some may be 50/50 on it. Saying "We would have done it differently" and "We would have done this/used this strategy/this would have been our plan" is totally different. That is what I am trying to get across. We need plans not generic political statements from TU. Managing a local and the national are 2 different beasts. Honestly I would love a change, but change for change's sake is not always good. We need actual info, not politician's answers. I don't know how many more ways I can say it.

804brown

correct. I am not saying that he didn't or that i don't disagree with this. It was a concession to Amazon's threats. What I am asking is, how would the TU slate have approached this situation?

I don't get how this is so hard to understand. We all know what HH have done, some may agree with it, some may not agree with it, some may be 50/50 on it. Saying "We would have done it differently" and "We would have done this/used this strategy/this would have been our plan" is totally different. That is what I am trying to get across. We need plans not generic political statements from TU. Managing a local and the national are 2 different beasts. Honestly I would love a change, but change for change's sake is not always good. We need actual info, not politician's answers. I don't know how many more ways I can say it.
I understand. But Tim was not in the room when these deals were made. I'm sure the whole Amazon thing was a factor but I hope if Tim is ever in that situation and thought it necessary, that he would get AT LEAST SOMETHING for that major concession off the bat. Hall did not.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I understand. But Tim was not in the room when these deals were made. I'm sure the whole Amazon thing was a factor but I hope if Tim is ever in that situation and thought it necessary, that he would get AT LEAST SOMETHING for that major concession off the bat. Hall did not.
What would he get us? Ac in pkg cars? Everyone a company cell phone? $2 more an hour?

BrownBrokeDown

I agree, but Tim needs to come out on SOMETHING and state the specifics of how he would have done ANYTHING differently. Its hard to judge TU when all we get is "HH is crap and I would do better". We need specifics/plans/ideas/something in order to actually make an informed decision.