cover driver promoted to FT driver/ new application?

thug life

I've been with UPS for 14 years and I just started FT promotion this last Monday. On Tuesday I received a request from HR to fill out a new application for the position that I have already started. I immediately thought this was strange and I have never heard of this. The HR lady was vague as to why I needed to do this and when I kept pushing she said it was to run a new background check. I know my management isn't happy with me because I had taken FMLA previously while I had been going through a personal problem at home. They had all stressed their problems with my actions but their hands were tied. I went FT a year ago and was failed due to exceeding the speed limit by six miles over. I had beaten the route for 30 days straight, no customer complaints, no other problems. All the other drivers knew exactly what the problem was and had even said, they will never pass you because they don't like you. Anyone know what this new application about?

upschuck

There has been other posts on here about them requesting another application when going FT. Just sounds like more red tape. I would not think that taking FMLA would sour you with the management team there, unless it was for a hokey reason. Good luck.

hyena

I've been with UPS for 14 years and I just started FT promotion this last Monday. On Tuesday I received a request from HR to fill out a new application for the position that I have already started. I immediately thought this was strange and I have never heard of this. The HR lady was vague as to why I needed to do this and when I kept pushing she said it was to run a new background check. I know my management isn't happy with me because I had taken FMLA previously while I had been going through a personal problem at home. They had all stressed their problems with my actions but their hands were tied. I went FT a year ago and was failed due to exceeding the speed limit by six miles over. I had beaten the route for 30 days straight, no customer complaints, no other problems. All the other drivers knew exactly what the problem was and had even said, they will never pass you because they don't like you. Anyone know what this new application about?
I had to fill out a new application when I went full time. It's normal here. Nothing to worry about just part of their process.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

You're going to get forms up the wazoo when you go FT.

I wouldn't worry about the FMLA. I went on FMLA a few months before I moved to management and it didn't hurt me too much. Keep doing your job to the best of your ability and you'll be fine.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Just make sure they back date your starting date on the application or it will screw up your senority date

By The Book

Your upset about the new application? I'd be mad about the bogus reason to not qualify you the first time. I would of requested records on all drivers to see if anyone else drove six miles over the speed limit during your qualifying period. Is there more to that story? A grievance should of been filed then. Was your business agent ok with this?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I've been with UPS for 14 years and I just started FT promotion this last Monday. On Tuesday I received a request from HR to fill out a new application for the position that I have already started. I immediately thought this was strange and I have never heard of this.

Filling out a new application, is SOP. (standard operating procedure)

I would not think that taking FMLA would sour you with the management team there, unless it was for a hokey reason.

Unless he/she told them.... local management, would not know what FMLA was for.

Your upset about the new application? I'd be mad about the bogus reason to not qualify you the first time. I would of requested records on all drivers to see if anyone else drove six miles over the speed limit during your qualifying period.

That's, where knowing your supplemental language counts.

In the Central Region, they can disqualify you.... for any reason.

And, you have no recourse through the grievance procedure.

-Bug-

By The Book

Unless he/she told them.... local management, would not know what FMLA was for.

That's, where knowing your supplemental language counts.

In the Central Region, they can disqualify you.... for any reason.

And, you have no recourse through the grievance procedure.

-Bug-
I wouldn't call that a reason as you and all on here know we all speed at times, and scratching routes is pretty much the benchmark. I'm not doubting the literalness of the disqualify you for any reason language in your supplement. I wonder if they had two members of management who verified this. Water under the bridge now, just a free pass to discriminate.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

No, it is not. An application is when hired on the VERY first day.

BUG, I used to respect what you wrote. Now, partner, I think you are 100% full of sh it!

Dude, if you are in bed with UPS Corp, just admit it. Nothing is worse in this world than a lying whore!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

No, it is not. An application is when hired on the VERY first day.

BUG, I used to respect what you wrote. Now, partner, I think you are 100% full of sh it!

Dude, if you are in bed with UPS Corp, just admit it. Nothing is worse in this world than a lying whore!

Drink much ?

-Bug-

Last edited by a moderator:

thug life

Your upset about the new application? I'd be mad about the bogus reason to not qualify you the first time. I would of requested records on all drivers to see if anyone else drove six miles over the speed limit during your qualifying period. Is there more to that story? A grievance should of been filed then. Was your business agent ok with this?
Oh yeah, I filed about six grievances and checked with many of the recent hires. The employee that went FT after me had just gotten off disability for five years and they pushed him through without a full probation period. My Union rep looked over the grievances that were detailed and accurate and said it was best not to make waves. Never heard another thing about it. Just wanted to get six months behind me so I could go full time again.

thug life

(Psst...there is always more to the story)
There is always more to the story. I think I represented my conflict accurately though. Since that post I filled out the app, no problem there and have already received a score of eligible but the H.R. rep is stating that she cannot declass me to full time until "they" have reviewed the DQF(Driver Qualification File). I'm not the only one confused by this either, my sup said he has never seen any of this before, I'm on my fifth week of probation. I feel like this H.R. lady is gunning for me and I even have an e-mail that my sup forwarded to me where she states that the delay is my fault but no one I've talked to understands this procedure that she has going. Six promotions in the last year, under the same sups and none of them have seen her do this or ask any of them to follow this guideline. Any thoughts?