DIAD V Revealed

Upstate

if you scan package from another loop (mis-laod) it just adds it to the active stop. EDD only keeps track of packages that are contained in your DIAD.

Try scanning a package from your truck and then scan a package from any other truck in the AM. It will just added to your stop.

So its not redundant.
Lurking, that is correct and I have wondered why they had not already set the DIAD up the way you suggested. They could do this with the existing DIADs, it would be a programming thing not a hardware issue.

DiadDude

Upstate

if you scan package from another loop (mis-laod) it just adds it to the active stop. EDD only keeps track of packages that are contained in your DIAD.

Try scanning a package from your truck and then scan a package from any other truck in the AM. It will just added to your stop.

So its not redundant.

Just Lurking,

The EDD system was designed when we were receiving electronic data about a great deal less packages than we currently do. At that time, it was more likely that you would receive a package that belonged on your car but was not in your EDD, than a package that was for another route. It was decided that interrupting the flow of the stop with every package that was not in your EDD would end up making the system harder to use.

The change that you asked about could be implemented, and I think we're approaching the point where we have enough data that it may make sense to re-evaluate in the future.

Just Lurking

Just Lurking,

The EDD system was designed when we were receiving electronic data about a great deal less packages than we currently do. At that time, it was more likely that you would receive a package that belonged on your car but was not in your EDD, than a package that was for another route. It was decided that interrupting the flow of the stop with every package that was not in your EDD would end up making the system harder to use.

The change that you asked about could be implemented, and I think we're approaching the point where we have enough data that it may make sense to re-evaluate in the future.

thanks DiadDude

pretzel_man

DiadDude,

How feasible would it be add the the ability to flag packages that you scan not in your EDD.

For example, your pre-loader cross loads a RDR stop between their two cars. When you scan the mis-loaded package it would flag "This package not in your EDD. Continue Y/N?" I know that you are to read every label but I see this no different than scanning a wrong address for "Address does not match. Continue Y/N?" prompt.

Am I kinda making my self clear?

Doesn't the new misload functionality work similarly?

If a package is not in EDD, using the misload functionality in DIAD will flag the package as a misload (Not in EDD). It will also take it out of the EDD of the other driver.

Is this close to what you were asking?

P-Man

Just Lurking

Doesn't the new misload functionality work similarly?

If a package is not in EDD, using the misload functionality in DIAD will flag the package as a misload (Not in EDD). It will also take it out of the EDD of the other driver.

Is this close to what you were asking?

P-Man

Let's see if I can make this clearer.

You have two routes laoded by the same pre-loader: 10A and 10B.

10A has a 100 piece bulk stop for 123 E Main St that is 10A-RDR.

10B has a 100 piece bulk stop for 123 W Main St that is 10B-RDR.

The pre-loader mis-loads one package each between the two cars. My idea would flag the 10B package for the 10A driver since the data is not in his EDD. It would do the same for the 10B driver with the 10A package.

It just seems that this would be an easy thing to implement. It is same idea behind driver not being able to deliver two different EDD addresses to one address without a conscious decision.

Clearer then mud now. :happy2:

pretzel_man

Let's see if I can make this clearer.

You have two routes laoded by the same pre-loader: 10A and 10B.

10A has a 100 piece bulk stop for 123 E Main St that is 10A-RDR.

10B has a 100 piece bulk stop for 123 W Main St that is 10B-RDR.

The pre-loader mis-loads one package each between the two cars. My idea would flag the 10B package for the 10A driver since the data is not in his EDD. It would do the same for the 10B driver with the 10A package.

It just seems that this would be an easy thing to implement. It is same idea behind driver not being able to deliver two different EDD addresses to one address without a conscious decision.

Clearer then mud now. :happy2:

I may be missing something.... I thought the mislod functionality worked similarly. I think it takes a little more than just a scan. I think you have to toggle to misload, scan, and then say if you can deliver it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-man, I think I can make this a little clearer for you. My first bulk stop every day is WalMart. Suppose my loader put a pkg for Sears, which is not on my area, in with the WalMart. Using the present software I could scan the pkg for Sears and the DIAD would not ask me to verify if I was at the right address and would allow me to deliver it at the current address (WalMart). What Lurker is suggesting is a software upgrade which would prompt you that the pkg is not in your EDD and that you should verify that it goes to the address that you are currently delivering. I do realize that checking every label should negate the need for this upgrade but it does make sense.

What you are describing is for a known misload. We ODS the center by accessing the misload communication screen (6, 3, 4, scan pkg, Y/N, comments, send). They will then let us know what to do with it.

BrownArmy

When I scan a mis-loaded package during a bulk stop, the DIAD will beep and prompt with the question "Addresses do not match...Add package?" or something just like that.

Do your DIADS not do that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I scan a mis-loaded package during a bulk stop, the DIAD will beep and prompt with the question "Addresses do not match...Add package?" or something just like that. Do your DIADS not do that?

Yes, but only if that pkg is in your EDD. If the pkg is a misload that is not in your EDD you can scan it at any stop and it will not give you that alert. That is the software upgrade Lurker is suggesting.

pretzel_man

P-man, I think I can make this a little clearer for you. My first bulk stop every day is WalMart. Suppose my loader put a pkg for Sears, which is not on my area, in with the WalMart. Using the present software I could scan the pkg for Sears and the DIAD would not ask me to verify if I was at the right address and would allow me to deliver it at the current address (WalMart). What Lurker is suggesting is a software upgrade which would prompt you that the pkg is not in your EDD and that you should verify that it goes to the address that you are currently delivering. I do realize that checking every label should negate the need for this upgrade but it does make sense.

What you are describing is for a known misload. We ODS the center by accessing the misload communication screen (6, 3, 4, scan pkg, Y/N, comments, send). They will then let us know what to do with it.

I got it now. Makes sense. Seems like a very easy change and worthwhile.

lowsporh

You could not be more correct about the key size and gloves. I wear gloves all year and I can type on my blackberry with them, mind you, my gloves are way thinner. If the new DIAD were as wide at the bottom as the top then larger keys and a qwerty layout could easily be accomodated. As for your piece of crap truck, it is not a piece of technology the company advertises but an end to a means! To other posters and hopefully someone in the IE department is reading, That frustrating effect of the customer flipping over the signature and wasting valuable time, the solution is SIMPLE. Are you listening? Good then here's the idea. Think back to not long after DIAD IV came out and battery consumption was a problem, IE then simply rewrote the software so that you had to press the cycle key twice and then the alpha key twice before the backlight would come on saving precious battery life until needed. Geeks keep reading. Now all you have to do is program the signature keys similarly. Whereas now we press Sig Ent to get into the signature mode and repeat these to get out of it, rewrite the software so that you have to press signature enter, enter twice to get in and lock the sig button function until the DIAD is handed back to the driver who then repeats the steps sig enter, enter twice to unlock and complete the stop,DUH!! Or reverse the process Sig enter to get in And enter sig to get out! Your're Welcome UPS, Send me a big check for saving you sooo much time and money. I try to share good Ideas with my management team all the time, but it's kinda like trying to piss up a water fall, you'll add content to the river but you won't change its direction:smart:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whereas now we press Sig Ent to get into the signature mode and repeat these to get out of it, rewrite the software so that you have to press signature enter, enter twice to get in and lock the sig button function until the DIAD is handed back to the driver who then repeats the steps sig enter, enter twice to unlock and complete the stop,DUH!! Or reverse the process Sig enter to get in And enter sig to get out!

...or we could just leave it alone and simply deal with the less than 5% of deliveries during which this happens, smile as we reset the board and then curse IE under our breath on the way back to the PC.

over9five

Staff member
You could not be more correct about the key size and gloves. I wear gloves all year and I can type on my blackberry with them, mind you, my gloves are way thinner. If the new DIAD were as wide at the bottom as the top then larger keys and a qwerty layout could easily be accomodated. As for your piece of crap truck, it is not a piece of technology the company advertises but an end to a means! To other posters and hopefully someone in the IE department is reading, That frustrating effect of the customer flipping over the signature and wasting valuable time, the solution is SIMPLE. Are you listening? Good then here's the idea. Think back to not long after DIAD IV came out and battery consumption was a problem, IE then simply rewrote the software so that you had to press the cycle key twice and then the alpha key twice before the backlight would come on saving precious battery life until needed. Geeks keep reading. Now all you have to do is program the signature keys similarly. Whereas now we press Sig Ent to get into the signature mode and repeat these to get out of it, rewrite the software so that you have to press signature enter, enter twice to get in and lock the sig button function until the DIAD is handed back to the driver who then repeats the steps sig enter, enter twice to unlock and complete the stop,DUH!! Or reverse the process Sig enter to get in And enter sig to get out! Your're Welcome UPS, Send me a big check for saving you sooo much time and money. I try to share good Ideas with my management team all the time, but it's kinda like trying to piss up a water fall, you'll add content to the river but you won't change its direction:smart:

You gotta give it to him - That would be a really simple, really costless fix.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You gotta give it to him - That would be a really simple, really costless fix.
I totally agree. The only thing though, is getting them to do this. I've asked about updating DR locations, like making DR behind column one of the choices and I have yet to hear from them.

DiadDude

If you guys only knew how easy it is to fix, but how hard it is to get anyone to agree that the fix is valuable, you would understand why this issue annoys me so much. Thanks for putting yet another twist on the knife.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
STUG - your center team can do it. Its posted on I - gate - DIAD/DCS 08.08 (Deployed Sept 2009). It takes less then 2 minutes to do it. The best part is you do not have ask IE !!