Do you think hes fired?

Dnking

FireFalcon
What I took from that post was a part-timer wondering if a bid sheet was about to be hung. I wouldn't want him for my union steward. He is the judge and jury.

He hasnt even been driving for a year. If hes not responsible on the road thats his own fault. There are plenty part-timers out there thats patiently waiting to get on full- time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Im not the full-time steward. This is out of my hands. I said in the first post i am the part-time steward

A steward is a steward full time, part time has no bearing on your union position. PT/FT is your position within UPS not the union. I understand that as a part timer you dont come across as many issues as you would if you were a FT driver, but that doesnt give you the right to jump to conclussions. Educate yourself and look for your answer in the contract book, not on an internet forum first. All good stewards started out the same, not knowing anything and gaining experience and knowledge from every case they had, sat in on or attended arbitrations.

As a steward you need to be prepared for any situation and if you dont know the answer ask someone that does, your agent, another steward etc and get back to the member.

705red

Browncafe Steward
He hasnt even been driving for a year. If hes not responsible on the road thats his own fault. There are plenty part-timers out there thats patiently waiting to get on full- time.

Please turn n your union card, resign as a steward and go into management.

Dnking

FireFalcon
A steward is a steward full time, part time has no bearing on your union position. PT/FT is your position within UPS not the union. I understand that as a part timer you dont come across as many issues as you would if you were a FT driver, but that doesnt give you the right to jump to conclussions. Educate yourself and look for your answer in the contract book, not on an internet forum first. All good stewards started out the same, not knowing anything and gaining experience and knowledge from every case they had, sat in on or attended arbitrations.

As a steward you need to be prepared for any situation and if you dont know the answer ask someone that does, your agent, another steward etc and get back to the member.

Your right a steward is a steward. We have a steward on the preload(me), and we also have a steward on the local sort. So as a part-time steward I usually deal with problems with part-timers on my shift. And I never jumped to conclusions about anything. Did you see the Threads title? "Do you think hes fired?" Its a question. This is a forum, a public site, where anyone can answer or give there opinion. I am not using this to educate myself, or to gain experience. I want to hear what other people have to say.

So If you dont want to add an opinion, you dont have to post anything!! And maybe YOU need to stop jumping to conclusions, thinking that im using this information to educate myself, or other members. If members on this site didnt ask questions, or give there opinions about issues, we would have nothing to talk about. SO CHECK YOURSELF!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Ive mentioned before I work in a small center. Well as you know in small centers you can get away with a lot. There is a guy thats been at my center for 12 years as a pre-loader. Company likes him, hes a hard worker, only knows one speed and thats fast! Has a terrible attendance record because hes an alcoholic. At one time he had 44 occurances on his attendance record within 9 months. I know because im the steward for our sort. And they had a hearing for him once and only gave him a day off.

He couldnt go full-time because he had a DUI on his record. After that got cleared up on his driving record, A full-time bid became available last year, which he signed and now hes a full-time driver. Just last week he got another DUI. Now 2 on his driving record. What do you think? Is he fired? Our center let him get away with a crappy attendance record, but I think this is out of there hands. I think hes done..

Conclussion number 1

Both true. In Ohio I think your 2 DUI, you get your liscense suspended for a year. He can still come to work, but I think its up to the company wether they still keep him on as a driver..

Conclussions number 2 and 3

Here you are again speaking without ever reading the contract to know that this driver hasrights under our contract. As a steward you have to keep emotions out of it and represent the contract. He bid the job according to the contract, we won the bid, he made his seniority, and he is protected under article 16 and 35. You sound as if you would rather have this job and your coming off as this guys screwing you. You dont have to agree with what he did by getting a DUI, because none of us do. But its obvious he needs help from the union and UPS as well as fellow coworkers like yourself that are in a position to help him.

Your right a steward is a steward. We have a steward on the preload(me), and we also have a steward on the local sort. So as a part-time steward I usually deal with problems with part-timers on my shift. And I never jumped to conclusions about anything. Did you see the Threads title? "Do you think hes fired?" Its a question. This is a forum, a public site, where anyone can answer or give there opinion. I am not using this to educate myself, or to gain experience. I want to hear what other people have to say.

So If you dont want to add an opinion, you dont have to post anything!! And maybe YOU need to stop jumping to conclusions, thinking that im using this information to educate myself, or other members. If members on this site didnt ask questions, or give there opinions about issues, we would have nothing to talk about. SO CHECK YOURSELF!

I check myself all the time. But what really gets me are stewards that do not want to take the time to take their duty as a steward seriously enough to educate themselves. Why start a thread the way you did? Its obvious you dont want to take the sound advice and the contract language that has been copied and pasted for you to learn. You have taken shots at this guy several times. Hes not perfect but as a steward you should never belittle an employee in front of management or in public. Kick his ass behind closed doors and tell him to grow up and inform him what he is on the verge to lose, but do it alone.

This isnt a case of public opinion, it boils down to the contract language and his rights. Learn from it and move on admit that you had no odea what you are talking about, go get educated and come back at least as a half way decent steward, instead of the half ass approach you have shown so far.

Dnking

FireFalcon
Conclussion number 1

Conclussions number 2 and 3

Here you are again speaking without ever reading the contract to know that this driver hasrights under our contract. As a steward you have to keep emotions out of it and represent the contract. He bid the job according to the contract, we won the bid, he made his seniority, and he is protected under article 16 and 35. You sound as if you would rather have this job and your coming off as this guys screwing you. You dont have to agree with what he did by getting a DUI, because none of us do. But its obvious he needs help from the union and UPS as well as fellow coworkers like yourself that are in a position to help him.

I check myself all the time. But what really gets me are stewards that do not want to take the time to take their duty as a steward seriously enough to educate themselves. Why start a thread the way you did? Its obvious you dont want to take the sound advice and the contract language that has been copied and pasted for you to learn. You have taken shots at this guy several times. Hes not perfect but as a steward you should never belittle an employee in front of management or in public. Kick his ass behind closed doors and tell him to grow up and inform him what he is on the verge to lose, but do it alone.

This isnt a case of public opinion, it boils down to the contract language and his rights. Learn from it and move on admit that you had no odea what you are talking about, go get educated and come back at least as a half way decent steward, instead of the half ass approach you have shown so far.

Ok your right maybe I did jump to conclusions. But the fact is, the law is the law. If he has two DUI on his driving record, regardless of when he became a driver or not, he has to face the consequences for his actions. Ive read Article 16 that was posted, and it seems to me if he gets his liscense suspended for more than a year, or if he has to do any jail time, it may not be easy for him to keep his job. Because in Ohio the law states that a penalty for a second DUI is a license suspension for 1-5 years. I cant see the company holding his driving position longer than a year, unless the judge is gonna work with him, and give him driving priveleges during his whole suspension.

And believe me I have stood up for this guy when his attendance was an issue. When he had a hearing for his bad attendance record, guess who was there, ME. I have never threw anyone under the bus, and I never will, thats just my character. And I never tried to come across as this guys screwing me. Im not next in line to be a driver. I am just stating the facts. This guy has been bailed out more than once. If he is not responsible, then there are other part-timers that are waiting to get on full-time. I believe we have a great union. And the union does a great job in fighting for our rights, but we all have a responsibility to take our job serious and to work work hard at it, and provide for our families.

And your right, im learning a lot as a steward. This site has helped me tremendously, especially in being able to understand the contract better. But our full-time steward, and our BA, feel it may be tough for him to beat this one. He goes to court within the next two weeks. Waitin to see what the law says first before we can do anything about his situation.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ok your right maybe I did jump to conclusions. But the fact is, the law is the law. If he has two DUI on his driving record, regardless of when he became a driver or not, he has to face the consequences for his actions. Ive read Article 16 that was posted, and it seems to me if he gets his liscense suspended for more than a year, or if he has to do any jail time, it may not be easy for him to keep his job. Because in Ohio the law states that a penalty for a second DUI is a license suspension for 1-5 years. I cant see the company holding his driving position longer than a year, unless the judge is gonna work with him, and give him driving priveleges during his whole suspension.

And believe me I have stood up for this guy when his attendance was an issue. When he had a hearing for his bad attendance record, guess who was there, ME. I have never threw anyone under the bus, and I never will, thats just my character. And I never tried to come across as this guys screwing me. Im not next in line to be a driver. I am just stating the facts. This guy has been bailed out more than once. If he is not responsible, then there are other part-timers that are waiting to get on full-time. I believe we have a great union. And the union does a great job in fighting for our rights, but we all have a responsibility to take our job serious and to work work hard at it, and provide for our families.

And your right, im learning a lot as a steward. This site has helped me tremendously, especially in being able to understand the contract better. But our full-time steward, and our BA, feel it may be tough for him to beat this one. He goes to court within the next two weeks. Waitin to see what the law says first before we can do anything about his situation.

If the LAW will take care of him, why does your original post sound like a bunch of whining girls in the locker room after scrimmaging with the boys?

705red

Browncafe Steward

99% of the contract you will learn are from guys like this. These guys help you to become a better steward and they are your experience so when a good employee gets into a jam, you will be ready. As a steward you only get to meet the guys and gals that get into trouble. Every steward goes through this and it can be frustrating but trust me years down the road you will remember evryone of their names because they made you who you are as a steward. Dr's get to practice surgeries on corpse's we get the bad apples at UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Lawyer's never look at the LAW, and say, well, you're guilty, can't help ya. They earnestly try to defend their client, just as a GOOD Shop Steward, should. Guilty is only guilty, when the final verdict, comes down. Look at Casey Anthony!

If the LAW will take care of him, why does your original post sound like a bunch of whining girls in the locker room after scrimmaging with the boys?
So that's what they call it nowadays.

99% of the contract you will learn are from guys like this. These guys help you to become a better steward and they are your experience so when a good employee gets into a jam, you will be ready. As a steward you only get to meet the guys and gals that get into trouble. Every steward goes through this and it can be frustrating but trust me years down the road you will remember evryone of their names because they made you who you are as a steward. Dr's get to practice surgeries on corpse's we get the bad apples at UPS.
Or the one's that seem that way.

Dnking

FireFalcon
Just an update. Driver with the DUI got fired. Not sure what happened. I know he was in Rehab, but just got word he was fired. He filed a greivance to get his job back, and has a hearing today to see what the final verdict is gonna be...

rocket man

Ive mentioned before I work in a small center. Well as you know in small centers you can get away with a lot. There is a guy thats been at my center for 12 years as a pre-loader. Company likes him, hes a hard worker, only knows one speed and thats fast! Has a terrible attendance record because hes an alcoholic. At one time he had 44 occurances on his attendance record within 9 months. I know because im the steward for our sort. And they had a hearing for him once and only gave him a day off.

He couldnt go full-time because he had a DUI on his record. After that got cleared up on his driving record, A full-time bid became available last year, which he signed and now hes a full-time driver. Just last week he got another DUI. Now 2 on his driving record. What do you think? Is he fired? Our center let him get away with a crappy attendance record, but I think this is out of there hands. I think hes done..
BE A MAN IF YOU ARE so worried about this person? witch you seem to be call him and ask if you dont have his number than mind your own bussiness and dont air out laundry you didnt wash. worrie about your self or go to managment.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
HE got fired because of something he either did, or didnt do.

First off, unless the second DUI occured while working for UPS, the contract, and UPS policy is very plain and exact. They will allow the employee to keep working unless the employee fails to comply with what the contract and policy call for. Drivers at UPS have an obligation to keep their drivers licences. UPS is not a baby sitter. But they will attempt to help someone that is willing to help himself. But some people just dont get it.

We had a feeder driver fail a drug test. Went through the program and on the first day back had to go through the "random" test. Of course he failed the test. And walked right back out the door. Some people you just cant help.

But past all of what the contract allows, when you have seen the destructive force of drivers under the influence, there should be ZERO tollerance for 2nd and third or more offences, much less double digit ones.

d