Does UPS care at all about employee morale?

washington57

I agree but they know that coming in to it. So why do they expect more????

i think the company could easily fix the part-timer slacker problem by providing additional monetary incentive for finishing faster. i'm sure our ie dept can figure out a way to make it fair

UPSSOCKS

i think the company could easily fix the part-timer slacker problem by providing additional monetary incentive for finishing faster. i'm sure our ie dept can figure out a way to make it fair

Anything like that would violate the contract more than I do........ And I intentionally violate it just to show the union folk that it is meaningless.. I figured it was time to recognize the employees, so I decided to have a cookout after work. I bought all the food and right before I started cooking, the steward came into the office and handed me a stack of grievances. I called off the cookout but had the sups still tell the employees that the cookout was still on. I put the grievances in the warmer and mixed them with sauerkraut. After work I sat out buns and ketchup and mustard next to the warmers. You should of saw the faces of the workforce when they opened up the warmers and saw the grievance.... I told them to thank the grievance filers for the wonderful cookout... The best part is, all the grievances were dropped..

washington57

Anything like that would violate the contract more than I do........ And I intentionally violate it just to show the union folk that it is meaningless.. I figured it was time to recognize the employees, so I decided to have a cookout after work. I bought all the food and right before I started cooking, the steward came into the office and handed me a stack of grievances. I called off the cookout but had the sups still tell the employees that the cookout was still on. I put the grievances in the warmer and mixed them with sauerkraut. After work I sat out buns and ketchup and mustard next to the warmers. You should of saw the faces of the workforce when they opened up the warmers and saw the grievance.... I told them to thank the grievance filers for the wonderful cookout... The best part is, all the grievances were dropped..

You are full of it. Nowhere in the contract does it say you can't pay the help more than the stated wage. Drivers can get bonus

THE STIG

our part time brain pays out of pocket or buys beer for part time employees who go above or beyond whats normally expected all the time. i personally choose not to accept any motivational gifts because i dont want motivated.maybe your not at his financial level yet, but when you are upssocks you can try it?:happy-very:

iowa boy

You were in management 13 years before you were at UPS???? You must of been around 5 when they hired you at your old job.. No wonder you sound so smart on here, you were the original Doogie Howser.... As much as I appreciate your teachings, I don't need your help. I've been around long enough.
Obviously the employees are your biggest asset because if you didn't have any employees nothing would get done. I just weed out the worthless and lazy ones... End of story... My good employees have it very good.... My bad employees have it very bad... In all my time at UPS, I can count on one hand, the number of feeder drivers I had issues with. Same for package drivers.. It's the part time work force that cause all the problems.. I've been consistent with that theory since I arrived in the BC.

Let me ask you this then, back when the part-timers were making almost as much as the drivers, what were the attitudes like where you were?

And just an FYI, I wasn't offering any help to you, just offering my observations based upon past experiences that I have had with employees over the years. I do agree with fxdwg's observation that employees can be your worst liability, but thats only if you allow them to go down that path. Then the management person who is responsible for that employee has failed to do their job. You just don't want to spend time with your employees, (like I previously stated), you would rather glare at them and treat them like they are your peons that don't matter.

I must applaud your attitude change towards me, and Im really glad you think that I am a 20 something punk that knows everything. It really shows me who you are as a person. But like I said, you are just an actor on the BC stage, a rather poor actor, but thats a moot point.

Remember though too, that most of your feeder and package drivers started out as part-timers. Didn't they cause problems too when they were part time?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I 'd say one would have to find the enjoyment in, not just work itself, but everything over all. Its one of those things in life Americans seemed to have forgot in the past 50 years.

I see it as, kick it in the butt five days in the row, do a great job and enjoy and look foreword to those weekends and vacation days.

Work is somethig to do, it gives you something to do. Without it, you all would know or should find out, life would be quite boring. Thats all the morale you will ever need for a job.

UPSSOCKS

I 'd say one would have to find the enjoyment in, not just work itself, but everything over all. Its one of those things in life Americans seemed to have forgot in the past 50 years.

I see it as, kick it in the butt five days in the row, do a great job and enjoy and look foreword to those weekends and vacation days.

Work is somethig to do, it gives you something to do. Without it, you all would know or should find out, life would be quite boring. Thats all the morale you will ever need for a job.

Here's to you, here's to me, that's the way we all should be..........

UPSSOCKS

Remember though too, that most of your feeder and package drivers started out as part-timers. Didn't they cause problems too when they were part time?

No they didn't.... The union workforce with 25+ years are a generation of workers that UPS is going to greatly miss. I don't what happened but the people hired in the last 10-15 years are worthless...

iowa boy

No they didn't.... The union workforce with 25+ years are a generation of workers that UPS is going to greatly miss. I don't what happened but the people hired in the last 10-15 years are worthless...

Ya know Socks,

For once I would have to 100% agree with you on this point. Generation X, which I am part of, still has the work ethic that was pounded into their heads by their parents. This next generation, not so much.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ya know Socks,

For once I would have to 100% agree with you on this point. Generation X, which I am part of, still has the work ethic that was pounded into their heads by their parents. This next generation, not so much.

What is Gen-x considered? When I was in my early 20s (I was born in 78), Gen-X was considered anyone born before 1975. Now suddenly I'm hearing about Gen-x up to 1980? WHat next 1985?

iowa boy

What is Gen-x considered? When I was in my early 20s (I was born in 78), Gen-X was considered anyone born before 1975. Now suddenly I'm hearing about Gen-x up to 1980? WHat next 1985?

Reading online it varies from 1975 all the way to 1982. I would say about 1980 or so is when gen x ended.

helenofcalifornia

"I suspect she had a hand in selecting Joran van der Sloot's younger brother to be pictured on the August page of the 2010 UPS wall calendar.[/QUOTE]

You noticed that too?? that was strange.

THE STIG

the problem with generation x or whatever letter we are on now, is ups hires supervisors with no people skills. i have seen no less than 20 part time supervisors ,7 full time and am on my 8th center manager. all worthless. hence the revolving door of managment. if they would talk to there employees and impliment a "team" atmosphere everyone would be much happier and therfore up moral. make part time grunts want to work for you. not cuz they have to work for you.

UPSSOCKS

the problem with generation x or whatever letter we are on now, is ups hires supervisors with no people skills. i have seen no less than 20 part time supervisors ,7 full time and am on my 8th center manager. all worthless. hence the revolving door of managment. if they would talk to there employees and impliment a "team" atmosphere everyone would be much happier and therfore up moral. make part time grunts want to work for you. not cuz they have to work for you.

I might agree with this statement. Here's the problem. Once upon a time UPS promtoed very good part time supervisors. Now a days everyone wants to get out of college and make 100k. Who's to blame them, they need to make that kind of money to pay back their college loans. Nobody wants to get out of college and work there way through a company. Back to the problem with this generation. They think everything should be easy.. UPS is a great place and they offer many opportunities.. If you have the time to wait it out....

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I might agree with this statement. Here's the problem;

Once upon a time UPS Promoted very good part time supervisors. Now a days everyone wants to get out of college and make 100k. Who's to blame them, they need to make that kind of money to pay back their college loans. Nobody wants to get out of college and work their way through a company. Back to the problem with this generation. They think everything should be easy.. UPS is a great place and they offer many opportunities.. If you have the time to wait it out....

UPSsocks: your Grammar needs some work as does your spelling. Punctuation and Capitolization is equally important

helenofcalifornia

UPS has 8-10 years to "train" the new driver now with the current wait time to drive. Pretty easy to determine by then who has the "right stuff" and who doesn't. Where UPS gets into trouble is they have "invested" so much money in the actual training of the future driver that they think it would be a waste to throw it away. They would probably save themselves a ton of money if they would be a little more hardcore in making their final decisions. JMHO

The Milkman

I feel better now knowing that you realize that us older Upsers were an asset to Big Brown, The new crew is different than my group in 81:peaceful: