Don’t know how legitimate the info is…

Maybe we’ll find out some important information soon.
RgnTXvE24wFjUhB3Dt.gif

Karma...

looks like ups wants a strike to match the volume to employees ratio thereby cutting costs......carol wasn't the successful cfo of hd by luck........cut away the ground American part of ups and concentrate on air and international.....thats where the money is these days.......domestic American is too expensive.....I am sure the people who have stock will be very happy with this drift.

What'dyabringmetoday???

looks like ups wants a strike to match the volume to employees ratio thereby cutting costs......carol wasn't the successful cfo of hd by luck........cut away the ground American part of ups and concentrate on air and international.....thats where the money is these days.......domestic American is too expensive.....I am sure the people who have stock will be very happy with this drift.
UPS is in charge...

Undertow

Maybe we’ll find out some important information soon.
I'm sure we will, but who knows when and just how accurate it all is might not be completely clear unless O'Brien or Fred Z comes out and lays it out themselves.

If I correctly recall, You've been wearing Brown for as long or perhaps even longer than I have so something like this "first proposal" isn't really all that unprecedented when compared to prior negotiations. In a sense, I like the fact that hourlies at least know what it was compared to some of Hoffa's "Brownouts" of the past.

The company wants to get an idea of where the rank and file is and do a strong enough majority of us have the stomach and the backbone to walk a picket line if our recently elected leaders call their bluff. It's business. They don't want to give the bargaining team any more than they absolutely must to reach a deal. That's how negotiations this far reaching size and scope often unfold. The best thing we and our coworkers can do for O'Brien is all show up in numbers at any contract rally at whatever parking lot after or before whatever shift one is being held. If our negotiators can sit across the table from the company and say "You've seen the overwhelming evidence at every work site that the first offer was so unnacceptable that it hardened the stance of any hourlies who beforehand might have been lukewarm to walking out August 1st, so you better start negotiating for real right now while there's still time.", the odds of our bargaining team achieving gains far more substantial will increase.

The best way for the company to take O'Brien seriously is if they know without a doubt that an overwhelming amount of the workers he's fighting for are willing to follow through on the promise of a strike. UPS is desperate to find and then exploit any weakness it can find now that it doesn't have it's ace-in-the-hole de-facto company board member Hoffa to throw the game for them. If we make it abundantly clear that a "divide and conquer" strategy won't yield the captitulation they seek, we will get a better deal.

Thebrownblob

I'm sure we will, but who knows when and just how accurate it all is might not be completely clear unless O'Brien or Fred Z comes out and lays it out themselves.

If I correctly recall, You've been wearing Brown for as long or perhaps even longer than I have so something like this "first proposal isn't really all that unprecedented when compared to prior negotiations. In a sense, I like the fact that hourlies at least know what it was compared to some of Hoffa's "Brownouts" of the past.

The company wants to get an idea of where the rank and file is and do a strong enough majority of us have the stomach and the backbone to walk a picket line if our recently elected leaders call their bluff. It's business. They don't want to give the bargaining team any more than they absolutely must to reach a deal. That's how negotiations this far reaching size and scope often unfold. The best thing we and our coworkers can do for O'Brien is all show up in numbers at any contract rally at whatever parking lot after or before whatever shift one is being held. If our negotiators can sit across the table from the company and say "You've seen the overwhelming evidence at every work site that the first offer was so unnacceptable that it hardened the stance of any hourlies who beforehand might have been lukewarm to walking out August 1st, so you better start negotiating for real right now while there's still time.", the odds of our bargaining team achieving gains far more substantial will increase.

The best way for the company to take O'Brien seriously is if they know without a doubt that an overwhelming amount of the workers he's fighting for are willing to follow through on the promise of a strike. UPS is desperate to find and then exploit any weakness it can find now that it doesn't have it's ace-in-the-hole de-facto comapny board member Hoffa to throw the game for them. If we make it abundantly clear that a "divide and conquer" strategy won't yield the captitulation they seek, we will get a better deal.
First proposal from any company is generally pretty bad. Normally I wouldn’t be concerned but time is very short here.

For whatever reason I do not believe the company feels we will strike, I believe they are mistaken. And they have very little time to come to reality.

Undertow

First proposal from any company is generally pretty bad. Normally I wouldn’t be concerned but time is very short here.

For whatever reason I do not believe the company feels we will strike, I believe they are mistaken. And they have very little time to come to reality.
Very possible and UPS was probably paying close attention and taking notes during recent and often acrimonious negotiations between the railroads and it's workers where the companies didn't have to come anywhere near halfway on the very contentious issue of sick days.

That's why it's up to us as workers to leave no room for doubt in their minds. And to be fair, the workers here haven't done that in the past which is why I'm not at all surprised at how low the first offer was. The company isn't going to roll over at the sight of a 97% strike vote when only 22% of the membership can be counted on to vote for the very people that same membership sends to the bargaining table. If I were the company and seen that pathetic of a level of engagement by the workforce, I'd be beyond tempted to offer as little as possible when the talks turned to money.

That's why it's critical we do our part as the front line workers over these next couple of weeks and take the 5 extra minutes to stand together before or after a shift. If we make it loud and clear to the company that we will lock in arms then they will get the message that there's no opening to drive a wedge through. Want a stronger deal sooner? Then give O'Brien a stronger hand to deal with.

9.5mania

This is why we need to keep an eye out for NLRA violations and file charges when they happen. This would convert the strike to a ULP strike.
This is correct, if the union can establish that UPS did not negotiate in good faith, like that piss poor counter offer if it’s true, this would make it an unfair labor practice strike.

Although I’ve thought for years that all the technology in trucks to “dummy” this job down and make area knowledge obsolete would hurt us if they decided to hire replacement workers. Imagine UPS to Amazon drivers, “come work for us and you’ll get a $10 raise.” I’m sure some would make the switch.

Last edited:

Cheesypurpletees

Money talks, and ups has been very profitable with double the margins of its competitor FedEx. Ground builds that route density to coincide with air and international volume. Not to mention, with more and more ground perishables and medical deliveries, domestic ground is still profitable