FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
60 hours a week is a lot more manageable if you start earlier. I'm darn near that every week, but when the day starts at 545AM you don't feel like you work your life away as much as starting at 9.

I firmly believe the amount of guys on the 9.5 list would substantially drop if we started an hour earlier. Have heard it a bunch of times, "I want the OT, but I don't want to be out all night." Can't blame anyone for it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can recall starting as early as 8 am early in my career. We now start at 9:30 am. Did our center move 90 minutes further north and east from Albany and Syracuse, respectively?

dudebro

Not saying it's fun, just that it's not unreasonable to have to do it for a company that does tremendous volume for a 4 week period out of the year.
I agree that peak is peak, but what I find here is a general sense that there are long hours during times other than peak, so there's less tolerance to do it during peak as well.

Maybe we're looking at it with rose colored glasses but I think drivers caught more of a break certain times a year in the past than now.

dudebro

A lot more volume to process in the same buildings now.

Competition also. Improving our ground time in transit to match FDX ground more favorably 10 years ago shifted work that was kinda balanced, from day sorts to night sorts. We caught a recession right after that so we held on for awhile.

Now we're forced to add more capacity because we don't have it when we need it, which is overnight in a lot of places, even though there are buildings idle during the day.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Competition also. Improving our ground time in transit to match FDX ground more favorably 10 years ago shifted work that was kinda balanced, from day sorts to night sorts. We caught a recession right after that so we held on for awhile.

Now we're forced to add more capacity because we don't have it when we need it, which is overnight in a lot of places, even though there are buildings idle during the day.
FedEx ground feeder network is better set up than ours to move volume quicker, doesn't help. But with our cost structure it would cost a hell of a lot more to do.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I would think most start times are restricted by when the air trailers arrive. I know we have air loads going roughly 2 hours from the hub and the problem isnt just the plane being 25 minutes late, its the extra traffic getting to your destination that puts another 10 minutes on top of that.

Also, FedEx line-haul drivers are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road. I'm not sure if they are fined for being late but they are rivaled only by Swift for the number of accidents they have.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Funny you guys who suck up to management think working is more important than family time and that UPS has a right to all your hours.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid.
Damn right There is a reason 60 is in place. Whenever I get past 57 for a week it takes way longer to recover. Working past 60 in a week with 2 jobs is way different than having a job like ours with so many hazards.

If it was up to me I would work 40 hours a week and spend more time at home. I'm ok with 60 hours a few weeks here and there but that's it. It's important to also have a life outside work.
And many others would kill to have our job. Yes it does suck ass sometimes. Bit it's a whole lot better than working two jobs paying $11 bucks an hour with no benefits, vacation or retirement.

It beat me up over the decades biyt it also afforded my the family to have a full-time mom. My kids greatly benefited from that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
60 hours a week is a lot more manageable if you start earlier. I'm darn near that every week, but when the day starts at 545AM you don't feel like you work your life away as much as starting at 9.

I firmly believe the amount of guys on the 9.5 list would substantially drop if we started an hour earlier. Have heard it a bunch of times, "I want the OT, but I don't want to be out all night." Can't blame anyone for it.
I've been saying for years it's not the hours. It's what time I get off. My buddy delivers for Miller lite and works 4 10 hour days. Sure he works 10 hours every day but he's off by 3-4 every day. I would take that in a heartbeat.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've been saying for years it's not the hours. It's what time I get off. My buddy delivers for Miller lite and works 4 10 hour days. Sure he works 10 hours every day but he's off by 3-4 every day. I would take that in a heartbeat.
I used to work an 11 hour job where I punched out at 2:45 in the afternoon but even when my schedule changed and I punched out at 5:30 every day it still didn't feel nearly as long as the days here.