DOK

They told us about this In the pcm today. All the drivers coming tomorrow saturday will have to drive their trucks

On our PCM they told us its already in effect.
Last saturday they got a whole bunch of SUPs just to be our drivers while we were the "helper". i was in the jump seat for 5 hours but with this 70/8 our manager told us that we will be our own drivers tomorrow.
Must be only in certain areas. Still 60 max here.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Funny some of you guys think 60 hours a week is a lot. You've had it good for too long. Until I became a driver, it was always 2 jobs 60 hrs a week year after year after year just to get by. Same for lots of people out there.
Yea, Union power rules!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The DOT has always had 70 hours in 8 days. This was used mainly by over the road truck drivers that basically worked 7 days a week.

UPS, traditionally, has only worked 5 days a week so always abided by the 60 hours in a 7 day period.

Now, UPS basically works 7 days a week. Not everywhere, but there is always someplace working Saturday and Sunday.

This now leaves UPS the option to use the 70/8 instead of the 60/7.

They have gone to the 70/8 in many locations. I have not heard if UPS has informed the DOT that the entire operation is switching to the 70/8 rule. Right now, it is regionally.
How would that work for the M-friend package car driver?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How would that work for the M-friend package car driver?

Even though you only normally work 5 days a week, UPS now operates 7 days a week. If UPS notified the DOT in your area that they have switched to the 70/8 rule, you now have 70 hours available and should have plenty of hours to work Saturday.

You should get your 34 hour reset by clocking out before 8:30 PM Saturday and a start time of 8:30 AM Monday.

I see your point though, that if you only work 5 days a week, how can they put you under a rule made for drivers working 7 days a week?

UPS now operates 7 days a week and you may ask to volunteer for more than 5 days.

Perfectly legal under the DOT regulations.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So, is it still 60 hours over 5 days?

Not if your area has informed the DOT that they are following the 70/8 rule. And a lot of areas have switched to that from the 60/7.

The 70/8 is just like the 60/7. You can not drive after working 70 hours in 8 days. So even if you only work 5 days, and do a 34 hour reset every weekend, you can work 70 hours instead of 60 over your 5 days.