driver helper

Is it true that some drivers don't like to have helpers during the holidays. I'm getting mixed reports.

When I ran routes that they tried to send me out with a helper the planned day was cut because of him. That was what I didn`t like the most. Second,although it was said a bit crudely above,it was like the helpers received little or no training so until I could be sure he was placing boxes the way I would I had to go with them at first and teach them,then keep an eye on them. Hence the babysitting comment. Some were hard workers,some not. After a while I just refused to use them.

smokey711

Sorry you feel that way but it is what it is. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Some of the helpers that need the most babysitting are the one that think they know everything and don't and won't listen to what there driver tells them. Apparently you are one of those helpers.

By the way your called HELPERS not DRIVERS for a reason

Actually that's not at all who I am. I just resent people calling helpers babies because we are sent out completely blind with no training to help with a job that you do 50 hours a week for years. I respect that drivers have a very tough job. I don't get all of the hate and disrespect aimed at folks like me...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Scratch said...the volume is still down compared to this time next year.

Wow, you oughta get a job in IE.

LOL, you got me there, I meant last year. I normally don't pay attention to Center numbers, but we were told last month that our Center was off about 1500 packages a day compared to the year before. I have noticed that what little commercial deliveries I have are down, but my residentials have been pretty steady. I started my Helper about three weeks later than I did last year.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Actually that's not at all who I am. I just resent people calling helpers babies because we are sent out completely blind with no training to help with a job that you do 50 hours a week for years. I respect that drivers have a very tough job. I don't get all of the hate and disrespect aimed at folks like me...

You don't do the that job we do. You walk to where we tell you to and drop the pkg. We do the rest. We dont hate those we babys, I mean supervise, most of us would just prefer to work alone.

sgabler

That really sucks to hear all the drivers bash the helpers on here. Don’t most drivers start out as P/T helpers or working in the plant? Lets not forget where we came from! Today was my first day as a driver helper. I must have lucked out because the driver I’m with is really cool and helpful. He did not make me feel unwelcome at all in the short 4 hours I worked with him today. I hope he’s just not faking it because he's a really nice guy. The one big downfall I had I did not know the DIAD system. The driver and I both agreed that HR should at least touch base on the DIAD system so we don’t have to stress the drivers out even more than they already are by teaching us the DIAD. I stumbled around with that damn thing at first even just with scanning. I just asked questions every time I felt I was doing something wrong. By the end of my short shift I felt that the DIAD was all making sense now, and I also felt that we were actually making progress with getting the packages to their destination. I do feel sorry for the drivers that get stuck with the people that don’t want to work and think this job is a cakewalk because of the low pay that it provides. I'm looking at this job as hopefully a future career if I get the opportunity; the small pay is just the price you pay to getting your foot into the door with a great company to work for. I’m looking forward to meeting my driver in the morning and learning more about the job. Good luck to everyone, Happy Holidays!!!

sgabler

That really sucks to hear all the drivers bash the helpers on here. Don’t most drivers start out as P/T helpers or working in the plant? Lets not forget where we came from! Today was my first day as a driver helper. I must have lucked out because the driver I’m with is really cool and helpful. He did not make me feel unwelcome at all in the short 4 hours I worked with him today. I hope he’s just not faking it because he's a really nice guy. The one big downfall I had I did not know the DIAD system. The driver and I both agreed that HR should at least touch base on the DIAD system so we don’t have to stress the drivers out even more than they already are by teaching us the DIAD. I stumbled around with that damn thing at first even just with scanning. I just asked questions every time I felt I was doing something wrong. By the end of my short shift I felt that the DIAD was all making sense now, and I also felt that we were actually making progress with getting the packages to their destination. I do feel sorry for the drivers that get stuck with the people that don’t want to work and think this job is a cakewalk because of the low pay that it provides. I'm looking at this job as hopefully a future career if I get the opportunity; the small pay is just the price you pay to getting your foot into the door with a great company to work for. I’m looking forward to meeting my driver in the morning and learning more about the job. Good luck to everyone, Happy Holidays!!!

smokey711

Sorry you feel that way but it is what it is. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Some of the helpers that need the most babysitting are the one that think they know everything and don't and won't listen to what there driver tells them. Apparently you are one of those helpers.

By the way your called HELPERS not DRIVERS for a reason

Wow. I went WAY too far there, and I apologize... I was just frustrated trying to get some extra hours on a job that I have NO training for, and feeling insulted on BC for it. My fault.

blue efficacy

:censored2:. Another package driver who will piss on a brother at contract time and call him a baby on the job. You're a jerk.
I agree. These drivers can't be grateful that they have someone riding along making a third of their wage to do all their physical work for them.

No, it's babysitting. Forget the part that they get to skip walking through a ton of resi yards.

And I would wager my left nut that we'll get pissed on by them again at next contract time, possibly worse than ever! Perhaps the end of free health insurance for part timers? I know most drivers would gladly send us up the river for another $5 in raises.

I know my route well enough that I was able to help the cover driver find a lot of streets and stops that he wasn't sure on. Yep, I am just a child worthy of a babysitter.

Just remember, by refusing a helper you're costing a "brother" or "sister" an opportunity to have a slightly merrier xmas. But if you'd rather work by yourself and rack up the overtime, so be it. Overtime is a thing of the past for us peons working inside.