Eliminating Driveway Deliveries

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you are directed to stay out of driveways, stay out of them! If the company has a rule like this it is to cover ups's rear end in case anything happens.

Now we all know that ups says one thing but really means another! I can promise you that if a lot of drivers stayed out of the driveways for a few weeks this rule would change!

Ups would have a decision to make, allow drivers to go in to driveways or risk making service on packages, or adding more routes to allow extra walk off time!

Ups says that the union can not grieve accidents, but here we grieve them all the time! If an employee can be disciplined in the future it is a grievable offense!

Now if you are going in to driveways and you have an "accident" after you are told not to, you have taken that chance. And for what? To make services on every package even though ups knows that you must take this short cut in order to do so!

DO not risk your job just to make your boss look good on paper! He/she will be the same person to fire you for taking this short cut!

New Englander

You got me !! :happy2:
I typed it out quick and didn't put the right word in. Actually I'm better then that. :wink2:

There is nowhere in the contract that states we are forbidden to use driveways. When UPS is going to use discipline to keep you out of driveways. THEN, your friendly Teamster business agent will have to swoop in and save you.
SO IN FACT, The Teamsters are involved. You don't work for them, but you need them to be around when this tactic is in use.

SO, my original post and thread are legit in your work area and mine. Maybe not for ourselves but for our co-workers.

Your to work as directed. God...nice defense you got there.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What do you do on a dead end side street?
When in doubt, walk it out. Or in your case, flyover's are allowed.:wink2:

"Other other" is for us in Massachusetts. It is used to not deliver a package containing alcohol (illegal in Mass).
You guys aren't allowed to deliver alcohol?

So they can give the same 'dont use this button' warning letter internationally?
But they'll call it a letter of warning, using the Queens english.:wink2:

Did I miss the memo where Heff became my supervisor?

You misunderstood me. I was just intimating that a lot of people are comfortable using driveways and wouldn't want to change their ways.

No, Upstate said that he doesn't work for the Teamsters. Big difference. Anyways.

Are you still speaking in the 3rd person?

over9five

Staff member
You guys aren't allowed to deliver alcohol?

Some drivers do, cuz it's more of a PIA to bring it back. I don't because we're really not supposed to. Other Other- Alcohol.

In my pkg center several years ago, we had a huge incident where BATF got a warrant and boarded a pkg car that had just made a daily p/u at a liquor store. It was a serious issue, even for the driver.

When we bring it back, the clerk will call the customer and ask if they know anyone in NH that she can re-direct it to.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Some drivers do, cuz it's more of a PIA to bring it back. I don't because we're really not supposed to. Other Other- Alcohol.

In my pkg center several years ago, we had a huge incident where BATF got a warrant and boarded a pkg car that had just made a daily p/u at a liquor store. It was a serious issue, even for the driver.

When we bring it back, the clerk will call the customer and ask if they know anyone in NH that she can re-direct it to.

Are these boxes that aren't identified as alcohol, or does it matter? We deliver boxes that say they contain alcoholic beverages and must be signed by 21 yrs or older. May not be signed for by intoxicated persons. I know, I know, how is it I can tell if someone is intoxicated, right? I ask them to blow into the breatalyzer device on my DIAD. If they attempt this, they're way drunk.:happy-very:

brownman15

Are these boxes that aren't identified as alcohol, or does it matter? We deliver boxes that say they contain alcoholic beverages and must be signed by 21 yrs or older. May not be signed for by intoxicated persons. I know, I know, how is it I can tell if someone is intoxicated, right? I ask them to blow into the breatalyzer device on my DIAD. If they attempt this, they're way drunk.:happy-very:

depends on the state some states have rules regarding del of interstate alcohol

over9five

Staff member

If we see a box that says alcohol on it, we can't deliver it.

I like that DIAD breathalizer idea, very funny!!!

UPS Lifer

Hef,
I know I have been gone for two years but I never heard or read that UPS says that using a using (driving) on a customer's driveway is "Forbidden". Is this something new? (EDIT - after writing this I see I missd one of your posts that states "forbidden" is not in the contract....OPPS!)

I would discourage drivers from driving into driveways and explain that there are liability issues .... just as stepping inside a customer's home creates a liability issue. If a driver has an issue with the homeowner then the driver is responsible. To me this is no different with any other type of delivery.

Probably the biggest issues are cracking the pavement or running over a sprinkler or damaging the landscaping or overhangs. Once a driver gets to know the property and can see all the safety and liability hazards, shouldn't the driver be able to make the correct decision as to use the drive or not to use the drive???

Drivers are driving on private property all day long... I don't get it???

I always felt that if a driver uses good common sense then they probably have a excellent case if something goes awry.

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hef,
I know I have been gone for two years but I never heard or read that UPS says that using a using (driving) on a customer's driveway is "Forbidden". Is this something new?

I would discourage drivers from driving into driveways and explain that there are liability issues .... just as stepping inside a customer's home creates a liability issue. If a driver has an issue with the homeowner then the driver is responsible. To me this is no different with any other type of delivery.

Probably the biggest issues are cracking the pavement or running over a sprinkler or damaging the landscaping or overhangs. Once a driver gets to know the property and can see all the safety and liability hazards, shouldn't the driver be able to make the correct decision as to use the drive or not to use the drive???

Drivers are driving on private property all day long... I don't get it???

I always felt that if a driver uses good common sense then they probably have a excellent case if something goes awry.

Some pkg cars leak oil and drivers have been tagged for "accidents" in these situations.

UPS Lifer

Some pkg cars leak oil and drivers have been tagged for "accidents" in these situations.

See - that is not right! This should be a liability report. The driver is not responsible for the package car leaking oil. If the driver is aware, then it should be written up on the car condition report.

This is the kind of crap that makes me sick... I would never charge a driver for leaking oil on a driveway.

On the flip side though - UPS is responsible and should make the customer whole. But then you have to ask yourself what kind of driveway doesn't get oil on it???? I would have to go out and see the problem.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hef,
I know I have been gone for two years but I never heard or read that UPS says that using a using (driving) on a customer's driveway is "Forbidden". Is this something new?

Lifer

It has been going around the last couple months. Their main concern is the eventual backing of your vehicle on their property. If you know there is a turnaround on the property, my on-car says they will allow you to use it. I asked him, "what if that way is blocked and I have to reverse down the driveway", he had no reply, like that scenario was not possible:dissapointed:

With GPS and telematics now, they can review every time you backed up your truck. It gets reviewed the next morning. In another thread, it is discussed the centers are only allowed 12.5 backings per car per day. So this driveway mandate takes out unneccessary backing to fit their numbers. So like SOBERUPS will gladly tell you, they are doing it to please the managers above them, not because its safer.

RozUPS

i would get assistance from another bargaining unit employee to deliver the ireg per my contract. ive never seen it but ive heard that if you hurt yourself del. an ireg you might have issues with workers comp becuase you are not working as instructed (getting assistance).

My dilemma is that hopefully I will be driving this Summer to make seniority. Do I have the option of walking off long driveways or drive up them to run scratch. Some of the driveways I encountered during peak would never allow me to run scratch if I walked them all off. Also how do you accurately record in the diad how long it actually takes to walk off a long driveway

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
See - that is not right! This should be a liability report. The driver is not responsible for the package car leaking oil. If the driver is aware, then it should be written up on the car condition report.

This is the kind of crap that makes me sick... I would never charge a driver for leaking oil on a driveway.

On the flip side though - UPS is responsible and should make the customer whole. But then you have to ask yourself what kind of driveway doesn't get oil on it???? I would have to go out and see the problem.
You are right, it isn't right. Just recently 1 of our 30+ yr drivers was charged with an accident b/c of an oil leak in a driveway. YEP, on one of them fancy 1/2 mile long driveways. Nice, huh?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are right, it isn't right. Just recently 1 of our 30+ yr drivers was charged with an accident b/c of an oil leak in a driveway. YEP, on one of them fancy 1/2 mile long driveways. Nice, huh?

OK . I find this hard to believe.
A driver was charged with an accident because the PC leaked oil on a driveway?

If true, that is BS!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

If true, that is BS!
It is true, Hoax. Sadly it is true. The way they are claiming this is an accident is b/c it caused property damage. And it's not the dirst time we have heard it.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

I don’t get it…An oil leak is clearly not an accident???:biting:

I totally agree with Lifer on this. The public liability report would be what you would use, the same report if you were in a customer’s place of business and knocked something over with your handcart..Geeeezzzz.

Again this is insane…Did this driver grieve this with the union?? This clearly should’ve been thrown out of court!!

outamyway

Your not a full time driver YET you follow the methods perfectly correct 99% of the time? Perhaps you fail to understand how many methods there are.

Full time driver aren't the only ones that deliver packages. I've been an Air Driver for two years and started out as a full time driver. I still have to learn everything a full time driver does.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don’t get it…An oil leak is clearly not an accident???:biting:

I totally agree with Lifer on this. The public liability report would be what you would use, the same report if you were in a customer’s place of business and knocked something over with your handcart..Geeeezzzz.

Again this is insane…Did this driver grieve this with the union?? This clearly should’ve been thrown out of court!!
NO he didn't. He does not believe in the union nor is he a supporting member of the union.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My dilemma is that hopefully I will be driving this Summer to make seniority. Do I have the option of walking off long driveways or drive up them to run scratch. Some of the driveways I encountered during peak would never allow me to run scratch if I walked them all off. Also how do you accurately record in the diad how long it actually takes to walk off a long driveway
There's no way of recording long driveways, handcart use, or any other thing, such as traffic, that will give you a better time allowance. Just do the job like you're supposed to do it. It will pay off for you in the long run, as you won't have to break out of bad habits.

If true, that is BS!
Believe it! It is BS, and has been going on here for at least 2 years.