Estar Day1!

You referred to Memphis wanting a Amazon style workforce well if that’s true then they can also accept the historical low service levels that we are providing now. I was told this morning by our local engineer that a lot of projects have been placed on hold because our companywide volume is dropping. He mentioned the fact that FedEx has lost 6 huge national accounts because of the poor service levels. Customers no longer have faith that we as a company can provide the service that pay for. The old saying rings loud and clear “ you get what you pay for”. FedEx no longer a competes with UPS in terms of Quality of employee, FedEx competes with Walmart to hire their rejected dock workers. Here’s a hint Memphis pay a competitive wage with an attractive benefit package and you’ll get a much better employee. You’ve got to pay people enough to care.

Star B

White Lightening
It's a step in the wrong direction. FedEx can update the system and maps without trying to automate our jobs as couriers.
I hope you read the part in my long-winded response on why updating ROADs was not wise. It's unsupported, way behind current tech, and needs to go. Also remember E* does do SRA-style routing too, it just has to get enabled.

Remember -- I agree with you that it's a mistake for FXE to copy Amazon's employment model. Until the non-union part of the CRR workgroup decides to seriously consider a union, this is what we need to deal with. Constant "innovation" trying to dumb down our jobs and get the lowest bidder (via contractor or employee pay) to make sure the box gets from point A to point B in time and in reasonable shape. That's what the shareholders want because it's more profits for them. The shareholders only care about keeping the employees happy enough to keep them around.

Until that changes, this is the way it's going to be. Like it or not, it's the path. and for the record, while I like the fact of the renewed investment in technology and updating the backend... trying to dumb down the last mile so any idiot can do it isn't the way to do it.

He mentioned the fact that FedEx has lost 6 huge national accounts because of the poor service levels. Customers no longer have faith that we as a company can provide the service that pay for. The old saying rings loud and clear “ you get what you pay for”. FedEx no longer a competes with UPS in terms of Quality of employee, FedEx competes with Walmart to hire their rejected dock workers. Here’s a hint Memphis pay a competitive wage with an attractive benefit package and you’ll get a much better employee. You’ve got to pay people enough to care.
Sweet, now let's just hope MEMH decides to reinvest in the employee and not go down the path of "die by a thousand cuts" because of "volume drops". If anything, it's C-levels that need to be cut because their leadership seems to stink.

Nolimitz

I hope you read the part in my long-winded response on why updating ROADs was not wise. It's unsupported, way behind current tech, and needs to go. Also remember E* does do SRA-style routing too, it just has to get enabled.

Remember -- I agree with you that it's a mistake for FXE to copy Amazon's employment model. Until the non-union part of the CRR workgroup decides to seriously consider a union, this is what we need to deal with. Constant "innovation" trying to dumb down our jobs and get the lowest bidder (via contractor or employee pay) to make sure the box gets from point A to point B in time and in reasonable shape. That's what the shareholders want because it's more profits for them. The shareholders only care about keeping the employees happy enough to keep them around.

Until that changes, this is the way it's going to be. Like it or not, it's the path. and for the record, while I like the fact of the renewed investment in technology and updating the backend... trying to dumb down the last mile so any idiot can do it isn't the way to do it.

Sweet, now let's just hope MEMH decides to reinvest in the employee and not go down the path of "die by a thousand cuts" because of "volume drops". If anything, it's C-levels that need to be cut because their leadership seems to stink.
Your talking out both sides of your mouth...

Nolimitz

He’s making sense to me. Sounds like your old system sucks and can’t be updated easily without a major overhaul. New system also sucks but can be updated and will hopefully suck less in the future.
I'm running a shuttle route to 2 maybe three drivers. The Estar splits it in 8 routes "assuming" all are starting at the station. The first drop off I have is 100+ miles from the station. We don't have 6-8 drivers or trucks for all the routes generated....... No one in mgt. or eng. is even interested in fixing this cluster friend. Every system since SRA has sucked and no one will lift a finger to fix it. 25 some days to go for me.... Bye bye FDX

McFeely

Huge Member
He’s making sense to me. Sounds like your old system sucks and can’t be updated easily without a major overhaul. New system also sucks but can be updated and will hopefully suck less in the future.
New system’s maps are good (and seem to be getting regular updates). It’s how the system chops up routes/cities and sequences them that is absolute Shiite.

That’s why I just want static boundaries. Let me run my route the most efficient way and avoid school zones, busy intersections, etc when I know I need to.

Star B

White Lightening
I'm running a shuttle route to 2 maybe three drivers. The Estar splits it in 8 routes "assuming" all are starting at the station. The first drop off I have is 100+ miles from the station. We don't have 6-8 drivers or trucks for all the routes generated....... No one in mgt. or eng. is even interested in fixing this cluster friend. Every system since SRA has sucked and no one will lift a finger to fix it. 25 some days to go for me.... Bye bye FDX
So, you are admitting it really isn't an e* failure but a failure of management to get enough bodies to do the routes it spits out?

It will be fine

New system’s maps are good (and seem to be getting regular updates). It’s how the system chops up routes/cities and sequences them that is absolute Shiite.

That’s why I just want static boundaries. Let me run my route the most efficient way and avoid school zones, busy intersections, etc when I know I need to.
Sounds like our DRO program. The nerds think it’s best to change the geography drivers service daily. Contractors all set static areas because we know drivers are more efficient that way. Then the nerds tell us we aren’t being efficient enough even when we show them our solutions beating the computer.

Nolimitz

So, you are admitting it really isn't an e* failure but a failure of management to get enough bodies to do the routes it spits out?
No there is not enough work in the domicile area for 6-8 routes. Its maybe a max of 135-150 stops. They start 100 miles away from the station and always will. You have no clue about domicile routes and the shuttle to get them freight.

fatboy33

It's a step in the wrong direction. FedEx can update the system and maps without trying to automate our jobs as couriers.
This is the way the company is going. Nothing anyone can do to change that. When they see how much it costs them to pay a courier with a family, home or rent and spouse, It's much more cost effective to pay a 19 year old who lives with his parents, smokes trees and plays video games after work. They can get away with paying someone like that 12 dollars an hour for 3 to 5 years until he burns out. No wonder why young people aren't having children. And expect Biden( or any other democrat) to win in 2024. The republicans can't be see as the ones naturalizing all the undocumented people in America. The republicans will pretend to be against it but it'll be nothing more than Kabuki theater by both parties while the donors they share rub their hands together. You see, that 19 year old isn't the only type the company is looking to employ. People who have English as a second language will probably be 70 percent of fdx workforce by 2026. When you see how hard the company is trying to automate the job of courier........it all makes perfect sense.

MAKAVELI

If it takes more bodies to run the new system, it's a failure. You can go around in circles with your data and algorithms but the bottom line is that it doesn't work for what it was intended for. Not every new software program works in the real world. You might want to study up on how many failures vs successes come out of Silicon Valley. It might surprise you.

MAKAVELI

This is the way the company is going. Nothing anyone can do to change that. When they see how much it costs them to pay a courier with a family, home or rent and spouse, It's much more cost effective to pay a 19 year old who lives with his parents, smokes trees and plays video games after work. They can get away with paying someone like that 12 dollars an hour for 3 to 5 years until he burns out. No wonder why young people aren't having children. And expect Biden( or any other democrat) to win in 2024. The republicans can't be see as the ones naturalizing all the undocumented people in America. The republicans will pretend to be against it but it'll be nothing more than Kabuki theater by both parties while the donors they share rub their hands together. You see, that 19 year old isn't the only type the company is looking to employ. People who have English as a second language will probably be 70 percent of fdx workforce by 2026. When you see how hard the company is trying to automate the job of courier........it all makes perfect sense.
The old man is a republican so please save the democrats are trying to replace Muricans bs.

MAKAVELI

Sounds like our DRO program. The nerds think it’s best to change the geography drivers service daily. Contractors all set static areas because we know drivers are more efficient that way. Then the nerds tell us we aren’t being efficient enough even when we show them our solutions beating the computer.
Exactly. The nerds, Silicon Valley rejects, are running the show.

Star B

White Lightening
No there is not enough work in the domicile area for 6-8 routes. Its maybe a max of 135-150 stops. They start 100 miles away from the station and always will. You have no clue about domicile routes and the shuttle to get them freight.
you didn't say it was a domicile area. support for domiciles is planned to be released after peak this year.

why they added a station that had a domicile down the line is beyond me.

HedleyLamarr

The 4x10 routes are being eliminated. Starting next week I will be a 5x10 basically since there isn't anyone to get my late pickups. My manager said they are trying to hire more people and hopefully, they will be able to send someone to get my pickups, but I think we all know how that is going to go.

Nolimitz

Well the 12 day experiments ends tomorrow ( I hope) until the end of peak, which I'm going to pass on this year. It has been a total cluster. My understanding is we are 1 of 2 stations in the district that tried E*

We had what I thought was a very robust operation and everyone worked together. Now almost everyone is looking for work else where. Staffing is a major issue. I know of one or two who stepped down to pt/handler just to avoid E* If this goes nationwide post peak WATCH out for massive exodus....

Nolimitz

The 4x10 routes are being eliminated. Starting next week I will be a 5x10 basically since there isn't anyone to get my late pickups. My manager said they are trying to hire more people and hopefully, they will be able to send someone to get my pickups, but I think we all know how that is going to go.
No you will be a 5-12. returning to drop OB freight and going back out to finish deliveries