Express raises.

DontThrowPackages

Interesting, after announcing the upcoming raises, I've read more about retiring and leaving for another job an any other time on this site. So many people leaving, even with the raises? What if minimum wage is raised? 15.00 for fast food worker. That's less weight lifting, no driving and "discounted" junk food to take home every night. Think of the savings.

overflowed

Interesting, after announcing the upcoming raises, I've read more about retiring and leaving for another job an any other time on this site. So many people leaving, even with the raises? What if minimum wage is raised? 15.00 for fast food worker. That's less weight lifting, no driving and "discounted" junk food to take home every night. Think of the savings.
No one trusts them anymore. I would still leave if they said the raise was 20% a year. Even though I know I'll take a pay cut for a year or so. At least I know what I'll be making, and not at some madman's whim. This is the recurring theme with all my coworkers who aren't topped out.

Code43

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Express when all of the 10+ year employees have filtered out to seek real careers. I don't see this raise "plan" working for more than a year or two. I was ready to leave regardless of the new raises. If anything I can say I've used this job as a stepping stone towards a better paying job. That's about the only positive thing I can take away from working at FedEx.

Goldilocks

There comes a point in your life that you tell yourself I've had enough. Fedex Express does NOT take care of its front line employees. I can bet the raise will be a one time raise. You probably wont see anything else for 2 to 3 years. That's just the way Fedex operates. You are just a warm body.

Jayhawk

There comes a point in your life that you tell yourself I've had enough. Fedex Express does NOT take care of its front line employees. I can bet the raise will be a one time raise. You probably wont see anything else for 2 to 3 years. That's just the way Fedex operates. You are just a warm body.
Retiring at 55 with $4500/month fdx pension, 100000 portable, and 800000 401K, id say you have been treated pretty good.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Retiring at 55 with $4500/month fdx pension, 100000 portable, and 800000 401K, id say you have been treated pretty good.

Not really. Remember, Goldi and her husband had the full term of the Traditional Pension Plan, and the FedEx contribution to their 401k is almost nothing. A UPS driver would retire with about 5k per month, so that makes the FedEx "plan" look pretty crappy in comparison. Oh, and the UPS driver was always making way more per hour and had better benefits, so he/she could invest more towards retirement.

I notice that the pilots have come to a tentative agreement with Fred. As usual, the terms won't be announced. Here's why. If the hourlies knew the benefits and retirement package the pilots are getting, there would be massive unrest. Another reason why our crap raises will continue to be crap and also questionable as to their longevity.

Jayhawk

Not really. Remember, Goldi and her husband had the full term of the Traditional Pension Plan, and the FedEx contribution to their 401k is almost nothing. A UPS driver would retire with about 5k per month, so that makes the FedEx "plan" look pretty crappy in comparison. Oh, and the UPS driver was always making way more per hour and had better benefits, so he/she could invest more towards retirement.

I notice that the pilots have come to a tentative agreement with Fred. As usual, the terms won't be announced. Here's why. If the hourlies knew the benefits and retirement package the pilots are getting, there would be massive unrest. Another reason why our crap raises will continue to be crap and also questionable as to their longevity.
Yea. I'd say she was treated pretty good like all of the senior people. As good as UPS, no but but good. And she's only 55. Some want to compare us to engineers and pilots. Really? We deliver pkgs for a living. All we do on here is complain and complain. I'm as guilty as anyone else. Yes there is definitely room for improvement at FedEx but in all honesty it's the best job I've ever had and I have looked and looked for others and could only find one that I seriously considered leaving fedex. I've received almost $2/hr combined the last 2 raises and great film to get it. Do I think I deserve more? Hell yes I do because I do a good job. Better than most that make $5/hr more than me. I live paycheck to paycheck like a lot of you but it's not fedex's fault. It's mine for overspending and terrible planning. I try to look at what I have done to put myself in my situation financially and take responsibility for why I am living paycheck to paycheck.
If Goldi can retire at 55 then yes I do believe she was treated pretty good at FedEx. As good as UPS. No but a hell of a lot better than most.

Last edited:

vantexan

No. Not even close. Her numbers are for her, and her husband, who was also a long-term courier. We're not treated well at all in comparison to UPS.
I would like to have the deal she and you got. When I left in '97 I never dreamed that when I came back in '98 that they would do what they did. I'll never even see $20hr inspite of having 27+years on the clock. My decision, my responsibility, but boy did they make me pay for it.

MondayLates

10 year employee (2 years PT/8 years FT) here. My portable pension is worth just over $15k. So for people not familiar with PPP, that means when I quit I can choose a lump sum of $15k or an annuity of $40-some/month. Nowhere near Goldi's (traditional pension plan) and light years from anything UPS offers. To even call it a pension is disingenuous.

DontThrowPackages

10 year employee (2 years PT/8 years FT) here. My portable pension is worth just over $15k. So for people not familiar with PPP, that means when I quit I can choose a lump sum of $15k or an annuity of $40-some/month. Nowhere near Goldi's (traditional pension plan) and light years from anything UPS offers. To even call it a pension is disingenuous.
LMBO.

vantexan

Don't forget they'll take 20% off the top in taxes.