Ferocious dog problem.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by GatoBrown, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GatoBrown

GatoBrown New Member

hi i just started cover driving, I was wondering what some of you veterans do for any dog problems. Besides carrying dog treats.

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You posted this in the management forum. Try ups discussions.

3. GatoBrown

GatoBrown New Member

Sorry and thank ypu

4. rod

rod retired and happy

some of those management types try to pretend they are ferocious.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

I just skirt around them cautiously and don't take my eyes off of them. I also keep either the package or DIAD ready to put between me and him if I have to. The smaller ones you can just punt. If it comes down to it though you can just bag the package and leave it in the driveway or wherever you can, putting something about the dog in Remarks.

6. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

You really have to watch the management type when its owner beats up on it before you get in. Vicious cycle indeed!

[​IMG]

7. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Fun dogs get treats. Aggressive dogs get an info notice on their mail box and an attempt tomorrow.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

All dogs get a notice on the mailbox where I'm at. I'm not putting myself or the dog in a situation that's potentially harmful to either. If you order a package and choose to leave your dog out, you choose to have a info notice on the mailbox.

Side note on treats; the route I recently bid to, the former driver gave out treats, she gave a dog a treat, turned her back, same dog bit the driver on the calf.

9. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Tell her to stop buying cheap treats.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  10. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

If the situation makes you feel uncomfortable, don't get out of you package car. Honk....LOUDLY. If they do not come out to get it. Don't deliver, Leave area and NOTIFY Supervisor of a potential animal threat. Have them call customer and make arrangements with consignee for delivery. Either they will contain their animal or offer a safe delivery location.
    If they happen to say reattempt and the same dog is a problem, take it back into clerk and tell them to post card it and request the consignee come and get it at the center.

11. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

Deliver the package anyway. Toss it on the porch from the sidewalk. I once delivered a package to a house with a fence. Little yappy crap dog ate the hell out of that box. I was dying laughing, the customer didn't find it quite as amusing

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. jaker

jaker trolling

This is me , I know my good dogs and my bad ones

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I agree don't get out but why wouldn't you deliver it if you're there.

Bag it open door and drop it.

14. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

I sheet as Not In 1-3 and note the dog in remarks. If I put a residential package anywhere other than a door or porch it becomes an open invitation for a customer complaint and a spanking from management.

15. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I keep a couple of dog biscuits in my shirt pocket.

There have been several times when an aggressive dog has charged at me, barking and snarling, only to stop dead in its tracks in order to eat the biscuit I threw at it.

If it doesnt stop for the biscuit and I wind up having to kick and stomp the crap out of it, the biscuit is evidence that I at least tried to avoid using violence against the dog.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Yup----moving you to feeders was the best move for everyone involved.

17. superballs63

You must be new here at UPS, here union employees do not get moved between jobs, we BID into them.

The More you know!

18. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

It's about making it inconvenient for the consignee. If they are not going to make the delivery easy the they can go to the center and get it. Maybe then they will have better understanding of securing their animal

19. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Before biscuit:
    ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1427838839.658907.jpg

After biscuit:ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1427838942.454283.jpg

Any questions?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. superballs63

I have a question. Dave said biscuits don't work.

My question is, how can Dave be wrong?