Fired Yesterday!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So, let me get this straight. You get suspended for one year from driving, but you can drive when its convenient for us. Not you, just us. Who cares what the contract says. Yeah.
As a person who was suspended, I'm not buying it. I stand by what I said.

I'm just telling you what I know, milage may vary by your management team, local & regional policies, etc.

Myself and another were DQ'd two years ago and drove, more or less, the entire two years. You don't have to buy it, but I wouldn't waste my or your time pointing it out to you, otherwise.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm just telling you what I know, milage may vary by your management team, local & regional policies, etc.

Myself and another were DQ'd two years ago and drove, more or less, the entire two years. You don't have to buy it, but I wouldn't waste my or your time pointing it out to you, otherwise.
I understand that it occurs. But, if I were the OP, there is NO WAY IN H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS that I would drive any UPS vehicle while under a UPS Suspension. Just sayin'. I realize there are centers that would try this. No way I would let them jeopardize my employment. What happens if you are out shuttling, lets say, and the DM sees you. He could fire you immediately. What do you say? "My BA and center manager made a side deal."
You are insinuating that the BA and center manager have the power to make their own contract. They don't.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I understand that it occurs. But, if I were the OP, there is NO WAY IN H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS that I would drive any UPS vehicle while under a UPS Suspension. Just sayin'. I realize there are centers that would try this. No way I would let them jeopardize my employment. What happens if you are out shuttling, lets say, and the DM sees you. He could fire you immediately. What do you say? "My BA and center manager made a side deal."
You are insinuating that the BA and center manager have the power to make their own contract. They don't.
I don't necessarily agree entirely with what you are saying. EX: If you were an air-driver prior to being disqualified for FT driving, there is no reason you should not be able to go back to air driving despite being " UPS suspended" as you say. The suspension or DQ as I call it, only applies to the job you were DQ'd for.

I do agree that if someone were disqualified for FT service provider and continued that same exact job under the radar, that is definitely a problem and I wouldn't participate in that or recommend anyone else to.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's what I got out of this. Kill the dog- warning letter for avoidable. Crush the grass- FIRED! Mastercard could make a commercial out of this! LOL!!!

Re-Raise

People need to stop thinking that the company "cares" about them...THEY DONT! If you were a decent employe, I have seen in the past the center team really go out on a limb to help someone in a pinch....as long as it wasnt stealing or getting into a fistfight. Those days are OVER....done!

I don't need them to care about me, I just can't believe this is a good business decision. It would be like firing someone in an office environment for jamming the printer.

I was interviewed and hired from a group of 50. Why do they go through the trouble of hiring you and training you just so they can fire you for something this stupid? I know some will say so they can replace a top pay driver with someone making less.

This guy isn't in the pay progression yet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a feeling the OP will have his meeting with the center manager this morning and will be pleasantly surprised when the termination is reduced to a suspension or even to a warning letter and he will keep his driving position.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
He isn't getting his driving job back he never made his 30 days he was seasonal then can terminate him as a driver for anything they want. He will most likely get his PT job back if he fights for it.

I agree with Upstate, he'll probably be able to drive again. He doesn't have his 30 days in and has part-time benefits so for the company, it would be smart to use the lowest paid driver that can do the job. However, still a chance they turn him away because of the property damage.

over9five

Staff member
I still want to know how the company proved he was dishonest. How did they prove that he knew about running over a little grass? You simply can't be dishonest about something you didn't know you did.

I think he had poor representation.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would have grabbed the BA ******** and instructed him on how he will represent me in the future, if he wants to stay in his current position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Just a little note:
some towns have a grass strip between the road and where the side walk is, every time some home owner complained to me about me " parking " on the area as being on their lawn , I calmly ask them what happens should I put in an personal injury claim concerning that small strip of land. They are always very quick to reply that is the city's or town's problem . end of story.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just a little note:
some towns have a grass strip between the road and where the side walk is, every time some home owner complained to me about me " parking " on the area as being on their lawn , I calmly ask them what happens should I put in an personal injury claim concerning that small strip of land. They are always very quick to reply that is the city's or town's problem . end of story.

Good reason why it is better to walk a package off, even if backing down a driveway long enough would save a few seconds.

I'm going in 8:45 to work for your buddy on Monday.

TUT

Beyond the job, I would visit the customer and explain what happened to you and discuss the political situation the working class is in and we can't fight amongst ourselves over petty situations. The complainer needs to understand the wrongful damage that was done. To me losing a job is a huge ordeal, so I would go that extra mile. They think it's 1970, I called as a friendly complaint so management can just remind drivers to be a little more on alert, no harm. Boom a man lost his income. You have to be a grade AAA a-hole of a recipient to want a driver fired for just that.

Obviously UPS is after you, to save $$$ longterm I'm certain of it. Look at the Big 3, they have a union guy making $30 an hour next to a person making $15 an hour doing the same job, someday to be all $15 an hour workers. Beleive me there are people in your company that want that badly and are inching each day slowly towards that. From an outsiders view it's perfectly clear.