Have my own route still forced to cover

jled067

Because my bid route is 99.5% residential with no pickups. I work at my own pace, have friends all over the route, I know which dogs are friendly and which ones to leave alone, and which houses have swimming pools in the back yards (wink, wink).
The stress factor is almost non-existent and I like it like that.
I can't wait for those days.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Only RGs and newer cover guys say that. Having a regular route is just comfortable and easier to make plans around. On my route I know most days I will be done between 6 and 6:30 so it's much easier to make plans and have a life outside of UPS. Being a cover driver then you never know when you are getting done or where you are going. And building customer rapport is a big plus too.
Only been a cover driver 19 years... I still have a lot to learn. Of the 150 routes only maybe 5 would be worthy of bidding on. They involve ferry time.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I finally got my own route after 8.5 years of cover, but i come in and find that I'm covering a route due to lack of training by the supervisors. DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE ME COVER A ROUTE IF I HAVE MY OWN ROUTE? THANKS

Sent using BrownCafe App
From what I understand and some supplements may be different, they can only force you off your bidded route 1 day a week and that's it. You can refuse if they ask you for more than 1 day a week.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why would anyone want to do the same route day after day after day after day after day after day?
I have been on my route for almost 20 years and I have yet to have the same day twice. Different stops, different conditions, different factors all make each day unique. Our dispatcher also makes sure we run different areas through creative splits.

Rainman

Its all good.
Why would anyone want to do the same route day after day after day after day after day after day?
Cover drivers always have to put in more effort than the regular driver to do the same work. I'll take the same boring stuff any day.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.