Hello Brown Cafe!

BrownThunder

I hope you make it bud. I'm currently on the hardest belt in the hub. This belt has the highest turnover % and I'm managing my load well.

I cannot wait to get out of here.

Dude846

Backpacks with Jets
I hear you. Apparently there's been 8 or so people within a few weeks with my position. The guy who I'm leaning on to teach me what's what seen quite a few people cycle through it. One of the useful pieces of advice: Join the Union.

I love the hard work. Getting paid for working out. I hate not being able to spend time with the wife (We have a child on the way). So I'm hopeful about UPS and it's benefits.

BrownThunder

Oh yeah, everything is going great. The work is hard but I'm no longer managing aches and pains. No longer taking pain meds. I have been approached multiple times to see if I was interested in becoming a PT Sup. Gave the political answer since I have absolutely no interest in doing that. My center manager tells me to hang on until around September. I ought to be behind the wheel in some aspect around that time. Once peak begins I'm gonna quit my day job and try to earn my browns.

Oh yeah, everything is going great. The work is hard but I'm no longer managing aches and pains. No longer taking pain meds. I have been approached multiple times to see if I was interested in becoming a PT Sup. Gave the political answer since I have absolutely no interest in doing that. My center manager tells me to hang on until around September. I ought to be behind the wheel in some aspect around that time. Once peak begins I'm gonna quit my day job and try to earn my browns.
Nobody changed your settings to female again? :-)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
BBAG was a poster here around 6 years ago. He was sure that he would become a full-time driver in little time. We all warned him that management was blowing smoke up his ass, and he didn't have a shot of making permanent FT - only a part-timer/temporary cover driver. Ended up wasting two years of his life and quitting, and left browncafe shortly thereafter with a good-bye post. ;)

BrownThunder

Update: 2 weeks ago my center manager came over and told me to go sign the new list he just put up. I walk over and sure enough it's the full time driver bid sheet. I had previously provided him with my letter of Intent on the same day I passed probation.

My driver "buddies" say the center has begun calling folks on the list, and for the most part applicants are striking out and not passing.

He tells me to just hang on, study my material like 10 point/5 seeing/5 rules of backing and wait for the eventual phone call.

Apparently they're looking to pick up 20 something drivers, and I pray every night I will be one of them.

upschuck

Good luck to you. If you are at the end of the list and get the call, you'll be used sparingly, but will still have foot in the door.

BrownThunder

Thanks. How does an applicant find out where they are on the list? I tried to look at all of the seniority dates and figure it that way, but the list was yanked down before I could really get an accurate idea of where I was.

I guess I'll ask my center manager since he was the one who posted the list in the first place.

BrownThunder

I was out yesterday being a driver helper when I got "the" call. Going in for my road test on Monday, wish me luck.

Took about 7-8 months, but looks like I'll be driving the same year I applied.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I was out yesterday being a driver helper when I got "the" call. Going in for my road test on Monday, wish me luck.

Took about 7-8 months, but looks like I'll be driving the same year I applied.
They're using driver helpers in September? If they're out of drivers already you should have been trained a long time ago...

BrownThunder

It's for permanent, thanks. My other buddies took their tests yesterday and passed so they're waiting for me now.

All I drive is manual so I should be good. That gig as a helper was really a blessing since it gave me my first up close experience with being in a package car.

Crazy... We used to be in the trailers sweating, aching, frustrated. The dream of driving was all we talked about.

Now it's happening for real, some of you drivers remember that feeling you had when you realized your dream was coming true.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It's for permanent, thanks. My other buddies took their tests yesterday and passed so they're waiting for me now.

All I drive is manual so I should be good. That gig as a helper was really a blessing since it gave me my first up close experience with being in a package car.

Crazy... We used to be in the trailers sweating, aching, frustrated. The dream of driving was all we talked about.

Now it's happening for real, some of you drivers remember that feeling you had when you realized your dream was coming true.
Quickly turned into a Nightmare

BrownThunder

Took my road test about an hour ago and passed. Integrad begins next month. I'm gonna keep my head down, stay out of trouble and kiss that belt goodbye