Helper fun has started

tourists24

Not what I meant.
Reread.
Our helper time cards read the same as yours this year.
Supes still insist you stay under the hour, 3.99, 4.99, etc.
So your time cards are the little pieces of paper that has all the calculations of helper times according to the number of stops? The amount of helper time comes up automatically and can be any range. Our supervisors arent instructing .99 at all. You use your helper the amount of time as the card says and thats that. Our meet time is even calculated for us. The only question they have is where you want to meet the helper

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I pick up my helper at noon,and use him until i am done,which tonite was 1915. I have him meet me in an area with several eateries nearby and after i cut him loose I take lunch
They can send me messages telling me how long to use him,they can scream at me the next morning over it,tell me my 'overallowed' time is too high etc, all they want. I dont worry about it. I am already working 12 hours a day every day with a bad load.............................what can they do to make things worse???

Buck Fifty

So your time cards are the little pieces of paper that has all the calculations of helper times according to the number of stops? The amount of helper time comes up automatically and can be any range. Our supervisors arent instructing .99 at all. You use your helper the amount of time as the card says and thats that. Our meet time is even calculated for us. The only question they have is where you want to meet the helper

Oh no it's the MATRIX. dun dah dah dah dAAAH dun dah dah DUH daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Speedy Cerviche

The awesome part is 2 hours and 59 minutes is entered as 2.98 into payroll. 2.99 isn't possible. For what it's worth, I try not to notice things like this.

Nazzrath

I've had a helper for almost 3 years. I decide how long he works and how many stops he takes. Recently they hired 'helper sups'. When they first started, they were eager to tell me if and when I can use my helper. I put my helper's sup in his place and he leaves me alone now. The only requisite I have to meet is having 110+ stops in order to bring him in for the day. But, if I'm below that they always find a split for me to do in order to hit that number. I have noticed my personal stop count dropped by 15 stops due to picking/dropping off my helper and organizing his stops.

laffter

As a helper, some of my driver's this year have already said "screw it" to the idea of keeping me only for a specific amount of time. They said they'll keep me on for as long as necessary and will deal with the bs when they get back to the building. I 'ran' a resi route last Wednesday for about 7 1/2 hours, and one yesterday for 7. I think I would refuse to help someone for 2 hours. None of that will be overtime, so $17 minus tax and gas is a waste of my time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I know a casual that has a lot of fun with his helpers. Oh, wait. hehehehehe That's not what we are talking about. hehehehehehe

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Using a helper for less than 4 hours...or taking them off the clock and making them sit in the car while you do pickups...is helper abuse. They will quit, and you will have to start over with a new one. No rational person would drive their car to a meet point in order to get an hour or two of work at minimum wage. It will barely cover their gas or bus fare. The little slips of paper we get in the AM that show our "planned" day with the helper might as well have been pulled out of a fortune cookie. They are little more than wishful thinking on the part of some IE dipschitt who sits in a cubicle pleasuring himself in front of a computer monitor full of gibberish. Ignore them, and focus instead on making good business decisions and using the helper as efficiently as possible in order to get the job done. You are the one who is out there in the real world with a truck full of packages to deliver, not the IE drone.

soberups

Last year I made a thread about the 5 Commandments for Using a Helper. Could someone post a link to it here? I cant remember how to do that, and I think its worth repeating now that peak is here again.

Southwestern

taking [the helper] off the clock and making them sit in the car while you do pickups...is helper abuse.

While it's arguable it's "helper abuse," it's clearly a violation of labor law. If the helper is not getting paid, then he or she should not be on the truck. While management may suggest such, watch them deny, deny, deny when you get into an accident while your helper is "off the clock" but in the truck...,,,

tourists24

Using a helper for less than 4 hours...or taking them off the clock and making them sit in the car while you do pickups...is helper abuse. They will quit, and you will have to start over with a new one. No rational person would drive their car to a meet point in order to get an hour or two of work at minimum wage. It will barely cover their gas or bus fare. The little slips of paper we get in the AM that show our "planned" day with the helper might as well have been pulled out of a fortune cookie. They are little more than wishful thinking on the part of some IE dipschitt who sits in a cubicle pleasuring himself in front of a computer monitor full of gibberish. Ignore them, and focus instead on making good business decisions and using the helper as efficiently as possible in order to get the job done. You are the one who is out there in the real world with a truck full of packages to deliver, not the IE drone.
everything you are saying is making sense Sober. There are things a driver can control, but at least in my center when and how long we use our helper is not on of those things. We are being told specifically how long and what times to use them. Which is exactly why I have told them not even to bother giving me one. It makes no sense but I am told I am getting one anyway and to work as instructed. So thats exactly what they get.

As far as keeping the helper on car and off the clock,,, thats a big no no....

soberups

everything you are saying is making sense Sober. There are things a driver can control, but at least in my center when and how long we use our helper is not on of those things. We are being told specifically how long and what times to use them. Which is exactly why I have told them not even to bother giving me one. It makes no sense but I am told I am getting one anyway and to work as instructed. So thats exactly what they get.

As far as keeping the helper on car and off the clock,,, thats a big no no....

I have never obeyed the "instructions" regarding how long I am "allowed" to use the helper.

Nor have I ever been in trouble, or even questioned, over my refusal to do so.

The little slips of paper they are handing out in the AM are meaningless gibberish. They dont apply in the real world of peak season on a UPS truck. They are merely wishful thinking. The on-car sup who hands them out has about 5000 problems to deal with, and he isnt going to have the time to question you the next day over your helper use. At least that has been my experience over the last 25 years. Perhaps other centers enforce their instructions more vigorously, I dont know. All I do know...is that I have an obligation to do my job in a manner that best represents the interests of the company, as efficiently as possible, and I know better than any cubicle drone how to use my helper in the most effective manner possible during the chaos of peak.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
All I do know...is that I have an obligation to do my job in a manner that best represents the interests of the company, as efficiently as possible, and I know better than any cubicle drone how to use my helper in the most effective manner possible during the chaos of peak.

That.... is an "old school" sense of pride. Good job.

-Bug-