Helper union dues

BigSlim

No one is forced to work at UPS; a certain competing and non-union package delivery company also hires seasonal workers, too.

Union dues for seasonal workers is the cost of getting a job there. Just like the taxes that are deducted from our paychecks; people complain about government "stealing" our money, when it's nothing more than the cost of working (on the books) in the United States and one's respective state, even if one is never affected (very unlikely someone is never affected) or has to use the services said deductions pay for. Don't like paying taxes? Work in a different state or country. Don't like paying dues? Work for a non-unionized company. But one chooses where they work, whether it be a union shop that collects dues, or a specific state or nation that imposes taxes to support the system that the companies and employees take advantage of to make the money they do. If the driver helpers think the net pay isn't worth it, don't take the job.
I agree with you to a point. I didn't have to take this job, I could be working somewhere else...perhaps easier work, more money.

What I don't understand is how no one from HR, no one from payroll, drivers, etc. seem to know in advance how much will be deducted, how often and so on. It's this big mystery to everyone at UPS, even though they hire thousands of seasonals, year after year. They're all in the dark, or so they say.

And it's not that the question wasn't asked...plenty of people in my orientation brought it up and all we got back was blank stares. Perhaps they really don't know, or maybe they're just avoiding the discussion out of fear that people won't take the job. Whatever your opinion is on having to pay dues, it doesn't seem right that the facts are hidden from the seasonals until they find out three weeks into the job.

I'm going to keep working, I'm not jaded about it, I just think it should be handled better by the company. It would certainly give a better impression of the organization to the temporary employees, even if their stay is a very brief one.

Gear

Parts on Order
It's a contractual issue. Both sides have agreed to it.

I agree with this. Union members vote for the contract. Which means union members agree with seasonal workers should pay union dues. If no members bring this issue up at contract talks, why would it be removed? Seasonal workers pay union dues because WE said they should. Because when it comes down to voting for final wording, 51% of people are concerned about 1 person. Lets say it came down to, "We can eliminate union dues for seasonal workers but you will pay 1 penny more in union dues". What do you think the outcome will be? 51% would say, "Ive been here for 20+ years, screw him, I earned that penny, I payed my dues."

So, to sum it up. The union takes dues from seasonal workers. You/we are the union. If you dont like it, make a motion to remove it from the contract. But we all know that isnt going to happen. If it doesnt make a gain or loss for #1, #1 really doesnt care.

Observer

Dues are taken out of your pay even if you are in a "right to work" state. Since the jobs were set up with the union involvement years ago - it's allowed. I don't think it's fair as the union doesn't represent you- but just takes the money. But in order to be able to work at the job - it's one of those things you are forced to put up with. I wish it wasn't like this but it is.

UPSProbs

I agree with this. Union members vote for the contract. Which means union members agree with seasonal workers should pay union dues. If no members bring this issue up at contract talks, why would it be removed? Seasonal workers pay union dues because WE said they should. Because when it comes down to voting for final wording, 51% of people are concerned about 1 person. Lets say it came down to, "We can eliminate union dues for seasonal workers but you will pay 1 penny more in union dues". What do you think the outcome will be? 51% would say, "Ive been here for 20+ years, screw him, I earned that penny, I payed my dues."

So, to sum it up. The union takes dues from seasonal workers. You/we are the union. If you dont like it, make a motion to remove it from the contract. But we all know that isnt going to happen. If it doesnt make a gain or loss for #1, #1 really doesnt care.
The thing that bothers me about it is that the union claims to be for the little guy. Oh well, not my problem anymore. I tell everyone to look elsewhere for a seasonal job for now.

Inthegame

Dues are taken out of your pay even if you are in a "right to work" state. Since the jobs were set up with the union involvement years ago - it's allowed.
No it is not. If dues are deducted in a RTW state, that person signed a membership card. Read NM Art 3 Sec 2(b).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nice try.

The only mention of union dues in the contract is where the company agrees to deduct union dues from hourly employee paychecks based on a list provided by the union.

Seasonal workers being exploited is nowhere to be found in the NMA.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I agree with you to a point. I didn't have to take this job, I could be working somewhere else...perhaps easier work, more money.

What I don't understand is how no one from HR, no one from payroll, drivers, etc. seem to know in advance how much will be deducted, how often and so on. It's this big mystery to everyone at UPS, even though they hire thousands of seasonals, year after year. They're all in the dark, or so they say.

And it's not that the question wasn't asked...plenty of people in my orientation brought it up and all we got back was blank stares. Perhaps they really don't know, or maybe they're just avoiding the discussion out of fear that people won't take the job. Whatever your opinion is on having to pay dues, it doesn't seem right that the facts are hidden from the seasonals until they find out three weeks into the job.

I'm going to keep working, I'm not jaded about it, I just think it should be handled better by the company. It would certainly give a better impression of the organization to the temporary employees, even if their stay is a very brief one.
HR doesn't tell you because we couldn't get seasonals through the door if they knew the union would steal their money for 4 weeks worth of work and no protection in return. It's criminal.

I get it for guys in the inside who are classified as seasonals. They at least get some form of protection. But helpers? Most of them show up to pick up their jacket and then are never seen again until it's time to turn it in.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Dues are taken out of your pay even if you are in a "right to work" state. Since the jobs were set up with the union involvement years ago - it's allowed. I don't think it's fair as the union doesn't represent you- but just takes the money. But in order to be able to work at the job - it's one of those things you are forced to put up with. I wish it wasn't like this but it is.
When I was an hourly in another UPS facility, which was in a right to work state, I never had dues deducted. As a matter of fact I know a guy on the sort who was in the process of joining. He said it was like trying to pull teeth to get the steward to help him.

Inthegame

HR doesn't tell you because we couldn't get seasonals through the door if they knew the union would steal their money for 4 weeks worth of work and no protection in return. It's criminal.
HR would get them through the door if they were straight with them and told them what happens on day 31(and act accordingly by letting them go on day 30). Again, if they only work 4 weeks they'll get all collected dues/initiation back. What is criminal is UPS fully knowing working these guys past day 30 triggers the mutually agreed to contractual obligation of NM Art 3, thereby callously ignoring the financial impact on the helper, and working them anyway! Now that is theft.

Gear

Parts on Order
Nice try.

The only mention of union dues in the contract is where the company agrees to deduct union dues from hourly employee paychecks based on a list provided by the union.

Seasonal workers being exploited is nowhere to be found in the NMA.

You seemed to miss my entire point. If 51% of union members bring this topic up to the union during contract talks it can be discussed. No one mentioning it at all will never resolve this issue. How can an issue be resolved if no one brings it up. And remember, you/we are the union.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You seemed to miss my entire point. If 51% of union members bring this topic up to the union during contract talks it can be discussed. No one mentioning it at all will never resolve this issue. How can an issue be resolved if no one brings it up. And remember, you/we are the union.

Hosing seasonal employees for dues is a supplemental issue.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
This is incorrect. I'm in an RTW state and no union dues or initiation fees were ever deducted.

No it is not. If dues are deducted in a RTW state, that person signed a membership card. Read NM Art 3 Sec 2(b).
And I have never signed a membership card or even had one offered to me ever.