hitting a dog

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Gotcha covered Dave.
nodoz1.jpg

gman042

Been around the block a few times
You know, this thing that UPS has with dogs has gone completely out of control. Nothing is said when someone runs over a cat. Nothing is done when there is a wild animal strike. We had a guy completely debone a moose and wreck his package F250 and the DM simply said we cannot control nature. Things happen. Dogs ARE NATURE!
UPS likes to compare dogs to children. When was the last time that your package car was surrounded by 6 kids that where all chasing you down the driveway, yelling and biting at your tires? Tooner, I am sorry that you are going through this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I slowed on the way by..i did not stop. I had to stop on the way back..i did. I was going to deliver box out of p side anyway what dont u get? And i really dont care what u dont get. My story doesnt change since its the truth.
You care enough about dogs that if you had hit it you would have been honest about it in order to educate others about the importance of keeping their dogs properly confined. The idea that you of all people would lie about it is absolutely ridiculous. Hang in there.

soberups

The dog was doing 0 in the weeds.

BTW, I have hit 3 in my career. Killed 2. One was in the road and the other was in a driveway. Was not charged (by UPS) for either one. Received a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident with injury to an animal. Local town justice dismissed the ticket.
Maybe you should try using biscuits. I have never killed or injured a dog in 28 years.

soberups

There are a whole bunch of separate issues here.

#1 hitting an animal that is running loose in a public road should never be deemed "avoidable." Our first responsibility is to maintain control of the package car at all times. The last thing we want to do is to hit another car, or a person, or to wrap the car around a tree because we were trying to avoid a loose animal.

#2 Calling a driver out in front of his/her coworkers at a PCM is cowardly and blatantly unprofessional. It is also harassment. Accusing a 23 year safe driver of dishonesty is even worse.

#3 UPS has never had a consistent, clear or rational definition of what constitutes an "accident". UPS has never had a consistent, clear or rational definition of what constitutes "avoidable". They make up the rules as they go and change them whenever they want to. The driver is always wrong. Warning letter are issued in order to meet quotas, not to change behavior. As a driver, it is pointless to care about safe driving years or awards because they have no correlation to actual safe driving ability.

#4 If you are young and healthy and productive and you get along well with your management team....pay close attention to this thread. Some day you wont be so young or healthy, and the management team you have now will be long gone. The sacrifices and extra effort you make today will mean nothing in 15 or 20 years. At UPS, you are only as good as your previous day's production. The moment that you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on paper, you become a liability rather than as asset and you will be treated accordingly.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You know, this thing that UPS has with dogs has gone completely out of control. Nothing is said when someone runs over a cat. Nothing is done when there is a wild animal strike. We had a guy completely debone a moose and wreck his package F250 and the DM simply said we cannot control nature. Things happen. Dogs ARE NATURE!
UPS likes to compare dogs to children. When was the last time that your package car was surrounded by 6 kids that where all chasing you down the driveway, yelling and biting at your tires? Tooner, I am sorry that you are going through this.
Thank you

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There are a whole bunch of separate issues here.

#1 hitting an animal that is running loose in a public road should never be deemed "avoidable." Our first responsibility is to maintain control of the package car at all times. The last thing we want to do is to hit another car, or a person, or to wrap the car around a tree because we were trying to avoid a loose animal.

#2 Calling a driver out in front of his/her coworkers at a PCM is cowardly and blatantly unprofessional. It is also harassment. Accusing a 23 year safe driver of dishonesty is even worse.

#3 UPS has never had a consistent, clear or rational definition of what constitutes an "accident". UPS has never had a consistent, clear or rational definition of what constitutes "avoidable". They make up the rules as they go and change them whenever they want to. The driver is always wrong. Warning letter are issued in order to meet quotas, not to change behavior. As a driver, it is pointless to care about safe driving years or awards because they have no correlation to actual safe driving ability.

#4 If you are young and healthy and productive and you get along well with your management team....pay close attention to this thread. Some day you wont be so young or healthy, and the management team you have now will be long gone. The sacrifices and extra effort you make today will mean nothing in 15 or 20 years. At UPS, you are only as good as your previous day's production. The moment that you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on paper, you become a liability rather than as asset and you will be treated accordingly.
Thank you and I also dont believe I am old and not healthy. Or unaware. I am older than I was, I got a few pounds I should not have, that is middle age dilemna. I had eye surgery. I can see just fine. My production by the #s is bad, but no one can show me why.
I was totally distraught. I am ok now. I still feel bad for the man, no matter who did it, hes damaged for a while. I just dont want him to be told I did it.
Everything else you said is 100% true, and I hope no one ever goes through this OR worse and be blamed publicly. As for now I just hug my baby dog. The claws are out m-friend. Thanks for your support always.
And when they can show me how they proved me guilty, and it is irrefutable I will eat every bad word I ever said. But they cannot, they wont, and thats when the rest of the bs starts.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
tooner

there is nothing wrong with being older , slower, and maybe a little heavier than the young guns.

there is a variable that UPS does not quantify called EXPERIENCE that usually more than makes up for age, speed , and weight. our customers GET IT. but the company does not.

anyway , i would take an old , slow , fat, feeder driver to make service in a snow storm going over Donner Pass ( california ) any day of the week and twice on Sunday rather than any of these new breed of feeder 14 day wonder drivers.