How many call offs before action taken?

JustDeliverIt

Needs to be agreed upon by UPS. For example, can’t just randomly call in on a Monday and say “hey I want to use an option day” we have request forms similar to 8-hour requests.
That sucks. So if you have to call in for any reason, sick or otherwise, it's an unpaid day and you have the possibility of discipline?

ManInBrown

Needs to be agreed upon by UPS. For example, can’t just randomly call in on a Monday and say “hey I want to use an option day” we have request forms similar to 8-hour requests.
Anniversary and Election Day you can. No advance notice needed. One hour before shift. You only need to request in advance a broken up option week into single days.

A.Spooner

If you've been here 5+ years, you have sick days to use. If you are calling off 4 times a year you have that many sick days. The only time it's an issue is if you use up your days and continue to call in. Better have a damn good reason or FMLA paperwork.

As long as you have days, you call in and inform them you are using a day. They may not like it, but it's that simple.
We get zero sick days. We get two option days per year that have to be approved 8 days in advance according to the contract, unless they decide they want to approve it the morning you call in.

A.Spooner

It really does amaze me how different things are across the same country for the company. I'm in Upstate NY, we get 5 sick and 4 option days a year. Things like time off I figured would be more standard, proven wrong again by supplemental language. Thanks for the correction. Do they allow the option days as call in sick days or do they have to be pre-approved with management?
Preapproved

A.Spooner

We got guys that call of 4-5 times a month.
We have people that do the same or have dead days all the time where they just get the day off as a layoff. I get pushback because I file on stuff vs most others in our center where very few drivers do.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We get zero sick days. We get two option days per year that have to be approved 8 days in advance according to the contract, unless they decide they want to approve it the morning you call in.
Pretty crazy. We get 5 paid sick days, 5 paid option days ( approved 7 days in advance) and we and can hold back 1 week vacation for another 5 option days for 15 total paid days off each year. Or we can choose to bid our sick/option days as vacation weeks and take an extra 2 weeks vacation every year. In delivery I would hold a vacation week back and take every Monday off July-August and just work 4 day weeks in the summer heat. I feeders I went the opposite route and took extra vacation weeks every year.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I just wanted to see if someone could send me a pic or show me in the contract where it states how many times you can call off before being written up. Been a driver for over five years and never had any issues. Recently was threatened for calling off, I just dust it off because I know how management is. It’s around the third in around 8 months. I’ve looked on the UPS Rising app but can’t find it. I don’t have a contract book. I’ve been told it’s 6 call offs in a rolling 9 month timeframe. I’ve had way less than that but I’d like to know if anyone here is from the central region that can assist me. Steward “isn’t sure”.
R u fired

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one part of the contract that I always had difficulty with was the provision that allowed a union UPSer to no call/no show up to 3 times before they could be disciplined. I'm sorry, what other job would let you just not show up and then come back the following day as though nothing had happened?