"How much do you make"

UPSER110

Standing at a gas station today waiting to get a sig. some guy just randomly asks how much I make.. I was like what? Hes like "is it $30?" I said it depends you start out part time for several years around minimum wage.. he kept trying to ask and I just got the sig ignored him and walked out..

Why do people think its acceptable to just ask how much I make? This isn't the first time it happened but most of the time people just ask in small talk but guys first words were just asking me how much I make.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've never seen why people are secretive about how much they make.

With that said I usually just respond enough. Or if they say man you make the big bucks. I just say yeah.

UPSER110

I've never seen why people are secretive about how much they make.

With that said I usually just respond enough. Or if they say man you make the big bucks. I just say yeah.

Eh, I just dont think its appropriate to ask, or answer.. You and everyone here knows what it took to get this job, and the BS we have had to deal with along the way. How do you think some people would react when I say with overtime I'm pushing 100k.

Brownslave688

Eh, I just dont think its appropriate to ask, or answer.. You and everyone here knows what it took to get this job, and the BS we have had to deal with along the way. How do you think some people would react when I say with overtime I'm pushing 100k.
Why do you care how some stranger reacts?

Or even how a friend reacts?

If they are hung up on what I make I don't care if they like me anyway.

35years

Gravy route
The public has the attitude that we have an easy, no pressure job that they could easily do. So they think we should not be compensated so well.

A University of Ohio study showed that the UPS driver position is among the most stressful jobs in the nation. You make an excellent point about having to put in your years at one of the worst part time jobs. Additionally UPS workers are hurt on the job more than any other company. Look at the beaten down veteran drivers for a clue on the toll it takes on your body.

We all know how few have what it takes to stick it out long enough to make a career out of their job at UPS.

Brownslave688

The public has the attitude that we have an easy, no pressure job that they could easily do. So they think we should not be compensated so well.

A University of Ohio study showed that the UPS driver position is among the most stressful jobs in the nation. You make an excellent point about having to put in your years at one of the worst part time jobs. Additionally UPS workers are hurt on the job more than any other company. Look at the beaten down veteran drivers for a clue on the toll it takes on your body.

We all know how few have what it takes to stick it out long enough to make a career out of their job at UPS.
Bingo we know we've earned it so why bother worrying about what joe (drinks a case on the front porch every day) thinks?

35years

Gravy route
It is quite rude to ask how much we make. Implied in the question is the attitude that we don't deserve what we make, a kind of snobbishness. Could you image saying that to a doctor?

Brownslave688

It is quite rude to ask how much we make. Implied in the question is the attitude that we don't deserve what we make, a kind of snobbishness. Could you image saying that to a doctor?
Who cares though?

I get a good laugh out of them and move on with my day. I just don't see why anyone would spend more than 2 seconds thinking about it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Who cares though?

I get a good laugh out of them and move on with my day. I just don't see why anyone would spend more than 2 seconds thinking about it.
Only reason I won't tell people is because we all eventually make the same amount. I've got no problem with people knowing but for whatever reason other drivers might not want people, especially their customers, to know.

ibleedbrown

benefits, insurance, pension, paid vacations, paid optional days, paid holidays, checks that don't bounce, job security, union representation, tuition reimbursement etc etc at the end of the day i consider myself blessed

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm rarely asked but when it comes up its usually in the form of a statement/question like "well you guys make a lot of money, right?" to which I always reply "define 'a lot' of money because that's a relative question".

When they name some laughable amount like $19 an hour I give a snarky reply like "yeah, I make a fortune."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Standing at a gas station today waiting to get a sig. some guy just randomly asks how much I make.. I was like what? Hes like "is it $30?" I said it depends you start out part time for several years around minimum wage.. he kept trying to ask and I just got the sig ignored him and walked out..

Why do people think its acceptable to just ask how much I make? This isn't the first time it happened but most of the time people just ask in small talk but guys first words were just asking me how much I make.

I would have turned the question around on him.

WorknLateHuh

but for whatever reason other drivers might not want people, especially their customers, to know.

This is good point

I think also, it kinda falls into that caregory of, Its not what you ask, but how you ask it. If someone i dont know, just walks over, and blurts out, "How much do you guys make?", idk thats just weird and a little intrusive.

UPSER110

Bingo we know we've earned it so why bother worrying about what joe (drinks a case on the front porch every day) thinks?

Because Joe on the front porch might help me out in the snow and take a package for his neighbor up the road or Sally at the receiving dock will always go the extra mile helping me unload their 50 boxes. Once these people know how much I make they might have the attitude of "do it your damn self, you make $XX on the hour"