Hurt Last Night

LakersFan

hey everybody new to the board..
well last night as we were unloading air cans off of a trailer
an aircan hit the back of my foot and my foot was under a loaded
air can for a couple of seconds :biting: my supe pulled me to the side
told me to try and walk it off or sit down for a minute i was sent home
at first i thought it was just a sprained ankle no big deal but its really starting to swell up now. what do i do? i just got hired in sept so i dont have the benifts and i dont have any medical insurance i was planning on calling human resources and try to at least get my leg checked out since it did happen on ups property..any advice would be appreciated.

evilleace

You should have filled out an injury report last night but I would call immediately the longer you wait the less chance you have of them helping you out.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
first off, the sup that told you to work it off, screwed up. trying to cover up an injury to make the numbers look good.

secondly, your insurance would not cover you on a work related injury, it is workers comp. anything else would be insurance fraud.

thirdly evil gave you good advice, call the center, report the injury, and then either go to the designated healthcare facility. or the er if the pain is that bad.

so dont waste anymore time posting here, get on the phone and report the injury, fill out the report, and include the "walking it off or sit down a minute" spiel. you need to cover your bottom.

d

evilleace

Your sup definetly shouldn't have told you to walk it off and he should not have sent you home. If he sent you home without having you fill out an injury report he really screwed up tell someone further up than him. Good Luck keep us posted.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They should put that supes arse into an empty can and send him off to Iceland !!!!:censored2: thinks he's a doctor!!!!

drewed

Shankman
ive had my feet hit with ULDs before, honestly if one of my employees would have told me something like this happened i would have had him sit down for a couple mins take off his boot and ice it and if 20 mins down the road it was swelling and the pain hadnt decreased he would have gone and we would have filled out the report

ive had my feet hit with ULDs before, honestly if one of my employees would have told me something like this happened i would have had him sit down for a couple mins take off his boot and ice it and if 20 mins down the road it was swelling and the pain hadnt decreased he would have gone and we would have filled out the report

How many hours of physical therapy trainning have you had Dr. Drewed? Doing what you just described could get you into deep dodo. Better off sending the employee to the Dr and let a professional make the decisions.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i would have had him sit down for a couple mins take off his boot and ice it and if 20 mins down the road it was swelling and the pain hadnt decreased he would have gone and we would have filled out the report

interesting.

what trp is trying to say is what you have just done is practice medicine without a license. what secret authorization did ups give you to do treatment on someone that is injured? the minute you have him remove his shoes and apply ice, you then become responsible for all sorts of crap. crap that you dont want, and ups did not authorize you to open them up for that liability.

drewed, seriously man, that is way off base, and not proper ups procedure. wander outside and doing what you want can get you in some deep trouble. not to mention sued personally. and your daddy might just let you hang for it.

d

drewed

Shankman
out of context i wouldnt make them do it, it would be their option....even to fill out the report would 30 mins or so soo more then likely theyd be sitting there anyway

While I can`t comment on Drew`s choice of birth control (ULD),I can agree with him on the fact I haven`t immediately run to the clinic every time I got a bruise. Of course I used common sense and discretion on whether on if it was going to be just a bruise or an actual injury. I will point out that the important thing is to at least bring it to the attention of mgmt but we are also adults who can decide just how hurt we are. Whens the last time you ran to the emergency room just because you took a header at home?

SFBayUPSer

I think I understand what Drewed was trying to say. For instance, I cut my hand the other at work and my manager directed/assisted me in washing my hand in the drinking fountain. :) Could I have gone and filled out a injury report? Probably, right? But I just put a band-aid on it and went back to work.

I think what he was trying to say was lets evaluate the situation before we head out to mess other people's days up (The other SUPS). Right?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
cut my hand the other at work and my manager directed/assisted me in washing my hand in the drinking fountain

well there is something wrong with that. putting body fluids in a drinking fountain, lemme see how many things are wrong with that picture.......and your manager directed you to contaminate the drinking fountain with your blood?????

i guess you are in a center that does not have a sink? did you realise that the drinking fountain is .......well, i guess for some it is too complicated.

the issues are this.

I am not advocating that a scratch or a bump should be er materiel. what i am saying is that ups management does not have medical training. they are not allowed to make medical diagnosis or offer to give treatment. that is not what they are trained to do, nor is it part of their job discription.

you are not covered should you render aid and something goes wrong.

the guy was hurt, and nothing was put in writing at the time, but yet he was sent home? sounds like a cover up to me.

injuries are a cya deal. both for managment and hourly.

yeah, a bunch of times nothing will come of it. but when it does, it can get very ugly.

so document and cover the liability. as an hourly, let management know. as management, never ever do treatment, or offer to have " him sit down for a couple mins take off his boot and ice it " and then do the right thing.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Danny

I think you are going a way bit overboard !

I agree with not washing a cut out in a water fountain (absolutly gross)

But Drewed having the guy take his boot off and icing his foot is not being a doctor. First Aid is taught in Boy Scouts and is just something you do FIRST before you seek medical attention.
What Drewed said was not out of line and any caring individual would see it that way.

If someone stubs their toe I am not going to call an ambulance. The employee hurt his foot and there is no problems using some first aid before he seeks a doctor.

I would`nt say Danny was way overboard as he makes valid points about not letting mgmt sweep an injury under the rug but Drew has just a good point about not rushing right to the er unless needed.
In our bldg we do have a first aid chest but it is self administered.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
you might think it is a bit overboard.

just writing about liability. no where does icing an injury appear in the proper response for ups sups.

first aid is taught to a lot of people. but rendering first aid opens you up for a lot of liability. liability that ups does not want its people to take.

we had a driver that stopped by to render aid at an auto accident. company gave him a warning letter.

he had advanced training as an emt with the rescue squad before he got the job at ups. guy cut his femoral artery and the guy stopped the bleeding and litterally saved the guys life.

that thanksgiving or there abouts, liberty mutual ended up giving him one of their awards. kinda funny considering ups's initial response.

bottom line is you do not treat an employee at work for an on the job injury. if he needs help, get the help. if not, carry on.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
He had the guy take his boot off and put some ice on it
There is no thought of sweeping an injury under the rug
He wanted the guy to take care of himself
He didnt put a tourniquet around the guys ankle !!

I know CPR and the heimlich manuever
You better hope you don't keel over in front of me when I have a UPS hat on.:surprised: (don't want to get fired)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
heffe

the difference is rendering aid and treatment are two vastly different things. stopping the bleeding is rendering aid, getting the guy to remove his boot and applying ice is treatment, not rendering aid.

sorry you cant see the difference.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Apparently you dont know the difference either

If I was giving treatment I would know what happened to his foot.
I don't
Obviously the guy's foot was sore and bruised so anyones first reaction is to give the guy an icepack
They have an icepack in a first aid kit and instructions on its use.

I understand your liability angle on this. Moving someone who fell may cause a more severe injury. If the guy had something in his eye you would lead him to eyewash station and HELP him administer first aid.

Helping administer first aid is not treating an injury like a doctor