Insulin Dependant Diabetic

mdarda01

I am a insulin dependent diabetic and have been for about 20 years. Finally got my thirty days in at UPS and was wandering, can a type 1 Diabetic drive for UPS? No one really can give me a clear answer. Thanks!

Overpaid Union Thug

I am a insulin dependent diabetic and have been for about 20 years. Finally got my thirty days in at UPS and was wandering, can a type 1 Diabetic drive for UPS? No one really can give me a clear answer. Thanks!
I was told (by an on car sup) that if a diabetic is having to give themselves injections then they can't drive. If they are only taking pills, or have it under control enough to not even need to do that, then they can drive.

upschuck

You have to go through the FMSCA and get a waiver, if they give you the waiver, you can drive. Have a guy with the waiver driving today who is type 1.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
You have to go through the FMSCA and get a waiver, if they give you the waiver, you can drive. Have a guy with the waiver driving today who is type 1.
We have a driver here who has gone through all that and he drives without any problems.

Gear

Parts on Order
Is the DOT card for a CDL and the card you guys have the same thing? I know type 1 diabetics cant get a CDL med certification. In my state you just need a normal C driver license to drive PC. I still dont understand why PC drivers need a med card. If I dont renew my med card, DOT will take my CDL and mail me a new C license.

oldngray

nowhere special
Is the DOT card for a CDL and the card you guys have the same thing? I know type 1 diabetics cant get a CDL med certification. In my state you just need a normal C driver license to drive PC. I still dont understand why PC drivers need a med card. If I dont renew my med card, DOT will take my CDL and mail me a new C license.

DOT card for package car drivers is different. Its less strict.

brett636

To the best of my understanding a diabetic can only obtain an DOT medical card if they can control their diabetes with diet or pill. Injecting insulin is an automatic denial. We have a driver right now who can't drive because his diabetes worsened on him to the point that he required insulin injections, and he is trying to change his lifestyle enough that he can give those up and come back to driving. Not sure how successful that will be for him.

brett636

DOT card for package car drivers is different. Its less strict.

I'm not so sure about that. When I was an air driver and driving package cars the medical card I got then is the same I have now with my Class A CDL. The physical itself was identical as well. There was an air driver who I worked with who was a diabetic and controlled it with medication who did confirm that if he ever had to go to insulin injections he couldn't drive. Unless there is some sort of medical waiver possibility I don't think the original poster can be medically qualified to drive.

upschuck

I'm not so sure about that. When I was an air driver and driving package cars the medical card I got then is the same I have now with my Class A CDL. The physical itself was identical as well. There was an air driver who I worked with who was a diabetic and controlled it with medication who did confirm that if he ever had to go to insulin injections he couldn't drive. Unless there is some sort of medical waiver possibility I don't think the original poster can be medically qualified to drive.
There is a waiver from the FMSCA

Nike

I would keep that info under your cap as they say especially if you have it under control. If you forsee it being an issue(ups driving is physically intensive and could wildly mess with your sugars if your not careful)you might want to pass on the job.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@Gear: Package car drivers (class C, non-CDL) don't get drug tested. CDL holders are drug tested. That's the only difference I'm aware of. They need the medical card because of the weight of the vehicle. Without the medical card (in my state, at least), they would be restricted to driving vehicles with a GVW less than 10,001 lbs.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I would keep that info under your cap as they say especially if you have it under control. If you forsee it being an issue(ups driving is physically intensive and could wildly mess with your sugars if your not careful)you might want to pass on the job.
DOT is the one to worry about, not UPS. You won't be able to get it past the DOT Doctor.

mdarda01

Talked to my territory manager today ( or whatever he is called LOL ) He is a diabetic as well and let me know that I could drive as long as the diabetes is under control and the a1c levels are where they need to be.

onestoptogo

Talked to my territory manager today ( or whatever he is called LOL ) He is a diabetic as well and let me know that I could drive as long as the diabetes is under control and the a1c levels are where they need to be.
Do yourself a big favor and start the waiver process early. It takes about 6 months to get a waiver so if you start now you can have one in place so others will not pass over you because you are ineligible. Once you have the waiver you have to visit the endocrinologist every 3 months and submit quarterly reports. You also are required to have a annual opthomoligist exam and and submit another report. It really is not hard to get and keep your waiver as long as you stay on top it.