Is it the full moon or what is the problem......

browniehound

Seriously, the customers out there love me. I'm always considerite and polite. If the customer says the deliver goes over there and not here, I always bring it over there with a smile on my face. You shouldn't hate me because a do a better SPOHR on the route than you do. Just trying to do my job. Some people are better than others at it. Why should I slow down and be an hour paid over so I can get a 3-day babysat ride. If thats what you want, thats fine. Just leave me out of it.Sorry if that upsets you.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Brownie

You dont upset me.

The problem with your last post and other that you have made is that they dont jive. Im glad you listen to the needs of the customer. Many of our cover drivers do, but some do not. All they care about is what they want, to get in early or cut corners to spend time elsewhere instead of doing a good job.

As for running over, most of the cover drivers that run my route run about or longer on road per day than I used to. Now that the route has a new regular driver, the split is cut in more days than it used to be, even with the same volume. It was very rare for me to be over allowed, ever. And I did take full lunch every day, but sometimes after the day was over so I would make service. So your assumption of a lazy fat bald guy sucking the clock to steal money from the company is a bit off.:lol:

Regards

d

browniehound

Sorry danny, I didn't mean to direct the post at you personally. Its directed at the driver who gives me crap for finishing earlier than he does assuming I make the PU at the scheduled times and do the job correctly and take full breaks. I can only do the job the way i know how. AM I supposed to be out there stealing time just so that I finish no earlier than the regular driver?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Nope. And in the case of drivers stealing time, as long as you dont, everything is great. You can not ever be responsible for what others do wrong. Keep your nose clean and everything will be great in the world.

But also be aware of one last thought. Some drivers as they get older can not keep up the pace they have had. Its not that they dont want to, they are physically unable to. That is why in most cases, delivery drivers do not stay after they are able to retire, unlike feeder drivers. So if the driver you are filling in for is 50 or older, it might be he is just worn out from all those years of pounding the pavement while many of you newer drivers were still in diapers. So dont always assume the driver is just lazy.

That being said, there are those that are...............:thumbup1:

d

retiredone

dannyboy said:
Some drivers as they get older can not keep up the pace they have had. Its not that they dont want to, they are physically unable to.

When I was in my early 20s I worked in the office. I was in fairly good shape and I wanted to know what driving was like. My boss accomodated me and sent me out on the road to help a driver for a couple of days. The driver was an old guy. He was in his mid 40s, so from my perspective then he was old. Without even breaking a sweat, he ran me into the ground. I was amazed. Doing the job for so many years had taught him the methods and got him in shape that most people would only wish for. He was 20 years older than me and he was running circles around me.

I don't buy the idea that older drivers will inevitably become less productive. There is a lot to be said for conditioning and experience.

over9five

Staff member
"I don't buy the idea that older drivers will inevitably become less productive."

You were using a 40 something driver as an example. How about a 60 something package car driver? With pensions plans going sour, it will be something UPS will have to plan for.

Can you imagine doing this in your sixties???

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Amen. over9.5, them older drivers make it look easy. I remember jumping with a driver when I was in my early thirties. And I only did it for 4 hrs. Granted jumpers move a whole lot more in a lot less time...but thats all we did. And I was beat.
The first yr my son jumped he wrote me a letter I cherish to this day. He said he had a lot more respect for what I did in my job, and all he did was jump. I remember talking to a dear friend who retired a few yrs back and he had to be 60, and I could not imagine doing it til I was that "old". With our pension plan, I think it is very possible. And I cannot imagine it.
Im 12 yrs from that age and some days I wonder if I will make it another week. Especially with the new standards, and with pas/edd coming, I hear it will get worse. I cannot imagine doing more in a day. God help us.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I don't buy the idea that older drivers will inevitably become less productive. There is a lot to be said for conditioning and experience

Retired one, that is why I said SOME. I know that not all, or even the majority of the delivery drivers show their age at 50 or 55. But some around that age start having problems. Their shape is still good, but the energy levels start to back down a bit. And that 70 pound package for some now is a bit more challenging.

And that was my point. Each driver is different. Now and in the way their bodies are able to withstand the rigors of delivery. Just because the driver cant anymore does not make him a lazy driver. And in the past, UPS was able to overlook the age and physical condition of the driver when expecting the max as they do.

Experienced drivers make the job look easy by being smooth. But making a job look easy and it being an easy job are two totally different things.

Also, as one of the oldsters at the center, I would rather suck it up and hurt like hell the next day as to let a younger "kid" think he could out work me.:wink:

d

retiredone

dannyboy said:
That is why in most cases, delivery drivers do not stay after they are able to retire, unlike feeder drivers. So if the driver you are filling in for is 50 or older,d

Just curious...It was my experience (granted years ago) that the normal job progression for delivery drivers was into feeders. The pay was slightly better and the work considerably less demanding. I understand that isn't available in some cases, but isn't feeder work available in many cases?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If there are openings. Here, the feeder classification is so inbred that to get a feeder job during the day you would have to have at least 35 years in. The ones that have them just dont want to give them up. So that leaves night time runs only, or cover. Dont know about you, but after bout 1AM my body says it bed time. Not been up for an all nighter for a long time, as it pays you back at our age.:sad:

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
there will be openings because of new runs opening up and from retirement of people who started in the 70s. I think within the next 5 years there are going to be lots of opportunties for upsers, especially from part-time to driving.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Cold

As a matter of fact, in our center 47% of the current delivery drivers will hit retirement age within the next 6 years. That will allow part timers to gain full time status in larger numbers than ever before. Dont know how it stacks up at other centers, but that is something I noticed.

I am sure that UPS has noticed this trend developing for years and wonder if some of the newer developments that have been deployed are in preparation for that mass exodus of employees?

d

feeder

Central Pa Member
I remember as a 5 yr cover driver, before a 7 yr same pkg-car bid route and feeder route, I look at my cover days as being all-business, meaning deliveing pkgs at the front instead of the docks, cutting corners, running the route completely differently than the reg. driv. Some of the prev. post I've read reminded me of my old forgotten cover days and most hit the nail right on.. But, some reg. drivers who just walked in, got their fresh pair of browns, did 30 days and on route, not even covered, those in my opinion, are the ones who complained the most...Getting back to those NI1's and incompleted call tags, yea yea, that was me.. but you reg. drivers didnt realize when you went on vac. the del. sup got smart and added 3 to 5 mores streets to the route....yea, yea, delivering to customers who you would see , hmm, maybe 2 to 4 times a year, depending on the reg. drivers' vacation schedule, they(customers) were just stops to me, not people, no personal relationship whatsoever... all businness. After getting my own route, I can understand the relationship reg drivers have, because you deal with them on day on day basis..I know cuz I was on a route for 7 yrs... But now, i'm in feeders, its nite work, I hate working nites, It really does change the way you live your life around your family, but it working to my advantage with family life...When I come back to my bldg. in the morning after the end of my day, during my breaktime before punchout, I chat with some of my former del drivers in my old center, they tell of the daily poundings, dealings with customers, and pain of delivering... I just sit back and listen and chuckle. I dont miss those days at all... In feeders, there isnt any ODM messages, no driver followups, no call tags, diad to hand to get signatures, no dealing with getting wet all day if its raining, no cods, no threats by customers on calling the 800 number on you, You dont have to impress the customers or the community you delvering in. In feeders, its all internal, meaning you dealing with dispatchers and you know that trailers dont talk back, and the road sup you might see once a week, just to say Hi to if you do a good job, the only coversation is if my paycheck is right, I make 10 to 15 grand more than the avg pkg car drivers dont even touch a pkg, Life in feeders is easssssyyyyyyyy....

trickpony1

feeder,

Some suggestions that might enhance your feeder experience:

1) go to the fabric store and buy enough black felt that, when double-layered, will block out all outside light through your bedroom windows.

2) go to a welding shop and have them make a "pin puller" so you don't tear up your shoulder pulling your fifth wheel pin repeatedly. This device is nothing more than a steel rod (about the thickness of a pencil) about 2 1/2 feet in length with a hook at one end and a handle at the other. Those pins are hard enough to pull anyway....just wait until you have tension on the latch then it's harder if not impossible. Keep your pin puller in your cab and your locker because it will disappear quickly.

3) Slow down NOW. You're not in pkg cars anymore. I continually see new feeder drivers going like hell. That feeder is too big, too heavy and not as manueverable as a pkg car so you can't whip in and out of traffic.

4) Don't hit anything (refer to suggestion 3).

Good luck.

feeder

Central Pa Member
trickpony1 said:
feeder,

1) go to the fabric store and buy enough black felt that, when double-layered, will block out all outside light through your bedroom windows.

2) go to a welding shop and have them make a "pin puller" so you don't tear up your shoulder pulling your fifth wheel pin repeatedly. This device is nothing more than a steel rod (about the thickness of a pencil) about 2 1/2 feet in length with a hook at one end and a handle at the other. Those pins are hard enough to pull anyway....just wait until you have tension on the latch then it's harder if not impossible. Keep your pin puller in your cab and your locker because it will disappear quickly.

3) Slow down NOW. You're not in pkg cars anymore. I continually see new feeder drivers going like hell. That feeder is too big, too heavy and not as manueverable as a pkg car so you can't whip in and out of traffic.

Good luck.

Well thanks for the 3 tips, but I got those undercontrol

1) I got a good laugh on the double layer curtain, cuz I have just that, my bedroom is very dark during the day and I have no problem sleeping, just jump in bed and 5min. i'm out like a light..

2) In some feeder bldgs, pin pullers are not permitted. I still dont know the reason for that, but in my bldg, pin pullers are part of the equipment of the tractor, if I lose my pin puller or break it or misplace it, Its just another item I write down on my DVIR Report and the next work day a shinny new spanky metal pin puller would appear for the work day...

3) Speed, I go the posted speed limit, hmnmmm, Not...., I go 3 miles BELOW the posted speed limit. ex. posted 65mph, I go 62mph, and belive me, going 62mph, I dont pass anyone on the road.. I put my tractor on cruise control, hehehehe, another EXTRA LUXURY ITEM including my A/C and my XM-Radio I have in my UPS vehicle.. DO YOU HAVE THOSE EXTRA LUXURY ITEMS IN YOUR UPS VEHICLE(meaning your pkg-car)????

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
feeder,

Good luck.

our shop makes our 5th wheel pullers we have one for each tractor.

Good advice about slowing down and being carefull.

trickpony1

I try to do the same thing in my feeder.

If you never leave the right hand lane, you never have to worry about who just sneaked into your 35-110 foot long blind spot.

Besides, people are used to seeing the big semi's lumbering along at slower speeds. It confuses them when that big semi is going as fast, if not faster, than they are, thereby increasing the probability they will do something stupid.

Just my opinion.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

It would seem to me that if you post like he did that he never goes the speed limit, always 62 if the speed limit is 65, that that might be construed as a work slowdown by management?

We had a driver that consistently drove lower than the posted speed limit, and that is what they charged him with. And as you know, partaking in a work slowdown is hazardous to your employment health at UPS.

But then maybe the feeder department can play by different rules than the delivery department?

Tie, you are in feeders, what is your take on the matter from the management perspective?

d