Latest Rumor Mill

Serf

All hear say from what guys at the Ramp are selling. I'll regurgitate and see what stick to the wall.
1) FedEx is trying to create a code to enter in your power pad. That when you are performing Handler work ( loading cans, off loading trucks), and you are a courier/swing/shuttle/csa, etc. you will be dropped down to that pay scale for the time you are in that code. Example you do your route from 1500-2000, end road activity than switch to package handling from 2010 to 2100, for the last 50 minutes of your day your paid handler pay.

2) This a more regional rumor. In an effort to enhance DRA some day route will get more pickups and stay on the road later, eliminating half of the pick up routes in the evening.

3) The carrot dangling theory of raises is no doubt in full swing. It seems just about everywhere the 5-8% rumor of a pay increase this fall is being sold. But perhaps most puzzling or troubling is management openly admits that the aforementioned points of #1 and #2 are true.

4) Handlers (DOT) and (Non DOT) for Express are not in line for a scheduled raise, yet again.

5) Make no mistake about it, if Express realizes it can legally drop your pay in special job codes, it will happen.

dezguy

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happens. People won't be happy about it but still, a fair majority won't stand for themselves and vote in a union.

For years, the station I currently work at has used courier handlers; couriers who are at a lower pay grade, yet run routes and come back at the end of the day to load the cans.

Purplepackage

Lol if they dropped your pay after you got off road my station would need to higher a whole evening crew then. The only reason you stay to load and unload is becasue you are trying to get a couple hours of OT. ( at least that's the case at my station since we are very small and only have 2 people who are actually classified as just handlers)

Let them do what they want to DRA we don't have it and never will, besides that who really gets back before 5 anyway

Slave101

The carrot dangling theory of raises is no doubt in full swing. It seems just about everywhere the 5-8% rumor of a pay increase this fall is being sold. But perhaps most puzzling or troubling is management openly admits that the aforementioned points of #1 and #2 are true.
Screw them seriously, 5-8% still way behind. After 10 years should've been at current top pay. Let them take 5% and shove it! Don't even care anymore I'm leaving anyway

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
All hear say from what guys at the Ramp are selling. I'll regurgitate and see what stick to the wall.
1) FedEx is trying to create a code to enter in your power pad. That when you are performing Handler work ( loading cans, off loading trucks), and you are a courier/swing/shuttle/csa, etc. you will be dropped down to that pay scale for the time you are in that code. Example you do your route from 1500-2000, end road activity than switch to package handling from 2010 to 2100, for the last 50 minutes of your day your paid handler pay.

2) This a more regional rumor. In an effort to enhance DRA some day route will get more pickups and stay on the road later, eliminating half of the pick up routes in the evening.

3) The carrot dangling theory of raises is no doubt in full swing. It seems just about everywhere the 5-8% rumor of a pay increase this fall is being sold. But perhaps most puzzling or troubling is management openly admits that the aforementioned points of #1 and #2 are true.

4) Handlers (DOT) and (Non DOT) for Express are not in line for a scheduled raise, yet again.

5) Make no mistake about it, if Express realize so it can legally drop your pay in special job codes, it will happen.

wwwd9BA.gif

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happens. People won't be happy about it but still, a fair majority won't stand for themselves and vote in a union.

For years, the station I currently work at has used courier handlers; couriers who are at a lower pay grade, yet run routes and come back at the end of the day to load the cans.

I would bet this is true. Fred never giverh without a major taketh away. A scheme like this crap sounds about right.

Pathetic.

Yozh69

5) Make no mistake about it, if Express realizes it can legally drop your pay in special job codes, it will happen.

This might explain why handlers now have to enter their time in the powerpads

dezguy

Lol if they dropped your pay after you got off road my station would need to higher a whole evening crew then. The only reason you stay to load and unload is becasue you are trying to get a couple hours of OT. ( at least that's the case at my station since we are very small and only have 2 people who are actually classified as just handlers)

Let them do what they want to DRA we don't have it and never will, besides that who really gets back before 5 anyway
I'm praying, that if this is what they plan to do, this is the case. Of course you'll still get morons who will stay, even at lower pay.

dezguy

Or they'll make it a part of their position, where they won't have a choice.
I don't even know if they could get away with that here. Not 100% positive but I have to believe there is something in our labour code that would prevent an employer from paying two different rates for the same shift.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or they'll make it a part of their position, where they won't have a choice.

This is the correct answer. They will not hire anyone extra, but will expect you to help load/pull cans, sort etc. as usual. This way, Frederick Fecal Matter Smith can say he's given you a "raise" while he simultaneously cuts your pay by way more than 5-8%. What an A-HOLE.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't even know if they could get away with that here. Not 100% positive but I have to believe there is something in our labour code that would prevent an employer from paying two different rates for the same shift.

According to what I've read here, it's normal at UPS.

MAKAVELI

Like I said before, especially here in California, Fred can expect a class action lawsuit and more experienced couriers leaving. Loading and unloading among other non driving functions are clearly stated in our job descriptions with no pay differential stated. They would be opening a huge can of worms by trying enact this pay differential. But it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me if they did try.

Last edited: