Local 177 November 6th General meeting

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Worst part is, in a fair world, they would make me a feeder driver and him the preloader. And his sorry lazy ass wouldn't last a week, if he was lucky.

Both the Company and Union felt strongly enough about outside hires that they made it a part of our national contract. The ratio of inside to outside hires has risen steadily from 2:1 to the current 6:1. Members here have been telling us that their centers are having a very hard time filling open positions from the inside.

As an outside hire, I can tell you that it was never my intention to walk right in and go to the head of the line; however, I would have been remiss had I not chosen to take advantage of the 3:1 ratio that was in place back in when I was hired in 1989. Starting on the inside with a family of 4 was not an option and had this been the case I would have looked for work elsewhere.

Inthegame

Both the Company and Union felt strongly enough about outside hires that they made it a part of our national contract.
Hmmm...during our last local rider negotiations, we proposed eliminating the outside full time hire and having ALL full time opportunities go to inside (pt) employees. The Company adamantly refused to move on this.

Well Bubblehead this is why PT Year's should count by what you stated about longevity comes seniority and privilege. A true one date should be the day your are hired if it's PT or FT. As for why your 23 years of humping bundles doesn't count towards bidding into Feeders are the following: we have classification seniority, the people who put there names of the transfer list and went and got trained and obtained a CDL before you makes him/her senior to you in Feeders, you didn't make the jump 10/15 years ago because it didn't work for you and your Family, but all of a sudden you see how to manipulate the system to benefit you. Lastly, you are the fool that waited so long to not come into Feeders. Just a few points for you and remember everyone I talk to who's interested says how it would benefit them, but than you mention to them that the entire Local will be one seniority list they say that's not what they were told. You tell them that for the rest of there career they could stay level if not fall down the seniority when a person who has no Feeder experience will come in and jump over them you see the deer in the headlights. A true seniority list is the day you are hired. No Terry I will not go building to building like when you were just in sadnj while in the guard shack solicitating your proposal on company property so we will reach out to HR and the labor managers and have you disciplined for breaking the company policy on solicitations. I don't need to lie to impressionable drivers to ride your wave of deception because you don't like the Union maybe if you put more time into your family maybe it would be so dismantled by your lack of parenthood. You should check your priorities when you leave your house daily what's more important on your list. Is it really Family???
You still haven't answered my question... What about the guys that have waited for years to come to feeders... Why can't they get their seniority?

oldupsman

A true one date should be the day you are hire if it's FT or PT.

Rama, you and I have butted heads on this issue but I'm with you on this one. This is exactly the reason
part timers aren't invested in the union. If they knew their time counted from day 1, no matter what job
they took down the road, they would be alot more interested with what goes on.

oldupsman

Part time jobs aren't intended to be a career, rather a stop gap, supplemental, or entry level trial opportunity.....otherwise, I would agree with you.
7 years, 10 months part time.

Bubble, you and I agree on most things but we're on a different page here. Why in the world shouldn't your
7 years and 10 months not count. I'm sure you busted your stones all that time. This is all part of the
underlying problem why part timers don't vote.

rama'nfeeders

You still haven't answered my question... What about the guys that have waited for years to come to feeders... Why can't they get their seniority?
They have their company seniority. Why Terry don't you understand when you change a craft like we do from package to Feeders that you have to be trained and pass a test for your CDL you go to the bottom of that list of that craft.so I am in Feeders 15 years and I did 10 years in package and a 26 year guy with package and a 22.3 position should jump ahead of me in Feeders is absurd. I made the plunge and he didn't so that's his problem not mine. I made the sacrifice and he should waltz in.......NOT!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They have their company seniority. Why Terry don't you understand when you change a craft like we do from package to Feeders that you have to be trained and pass a test for your CDL you go to the bottom of that list of that craft.so I am in Feeders 15 years and I did 10 years in package and a 26 year guy with package and a 22.3 position should jump ahead of me in Feeders is absurd. I made the plunge and he didn't so that's his problem not mine. I made the sacrifice and he should waltz in.......NOT!

Our mall driver decided that he would like to try feeders before retiring. After he qualified he jumped to near the top of the seniority list.

rama'nfeeders

Feeders is a very dangerous job it's not for everyone. These days it looks like they qualify almost anyone since we need bodies in Feeders.....not smart thing to do by the company.

ManInBrown

so I am in Feeders 15 years and I did 10 years in package and a 26 year guy with package and a 22.3 position should jump ahead of me in Feeders is absurd. I made the plunge and he didn't so that's his problem not mine. I made the sacrifice and he should waltz in.......NOT!
Could not agree with you more. That's why I'm totally against one list. And I'm not even in feeders yet and will take a hit when I make the move, and still am against one list. Who told the 18 year package driver to wait that long to make the move to feeder? That's his or her fault IMO.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
what happens when you go feeders, fall to the bottom of list, then bid back into package for a few years? Do they go back to the bottom again, even though they are qualified? What happens if they then go back to feeders? Again to the bottom, or do they keep it since "their craft" is established? Seems like nonsense.

ManInBrown

what happens when you go feeders, fall to the bottom of list, then bid back into package for a few years? Do they go back to the bottom again, even though they are qualified? What happens if they then go back to feeders? Again to the bottom, or do they keep it since "their craft" is established? Seems like nonsense.
In the 177 there is no bumping back to package. You don't go back, lack of work or not. I've never known one driver that completed their 30 and came back. Every feeder driver I've spoken to is happier than a pig in sheet

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In the 177 there is no bumping back to package. You don't go back, lack of work or not. I've never known one driver that completed their 30 and came back. Every feeder driver I've spoken to is happier than a pig in sheet
aren't you relatively new to UPS though?
If a bid goes up for feeders and someone can transfer from package to feeders, I am sure the reverse CAN happen. I didn't say anyone would want to, but I'm posing that question for a reason.

In this area, I see feeders go back to package or 22.3, so it DOES happen; whether you see it or not.

ramn'feeders said that the reasoning for being bumped down was because they weren't qualified. I'm just exposing that flawed logic.

rama'nfeeders

Really? Only an arse would do that besides he could put a letter in before his 30 day training period is up that he wants to go back to paclage to retain his package car route and than he would have to pay the company the money back for the training for his CDL. STOP WITH YOUR STUPID SEMANTICS.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Only an arse would go from feeders to 22.3 or package? Or perhaps a medical condition? Or family situation? Or otherwise?

I was hoping for, at least, a coherent response. No point in arguing this anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a feeder driver try to qualify in package just before Peak last year. Said he was tired of working nights; unfortunately, he was DQ'd (accident) and was right back where he started.