Local 177 November 6th General meeting

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Union seniority practices aren't negotiable, it's an internal union matter. If you have an E-board that would seriously give the company veto power over their seniority practices then you need a new E-board.
Where does it say that ups has no say union seniority practices.....or where can I find where it says it's in the contract only for union members so they know the rules

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Where does it say that ups has no say union seniority practices.....or where can I find where it says it's in the contract only for union members so they know the rules
Where does it say in the contract that the union can't make any changes to the seniority system without the company's approval?
I guess it really comes down to your E-board and whether they have a set of cojones or not. If they do make the change because that's what the members want then they should simply notify the company about it and move on. However if they're willing to give up your option week for something they shouldn't even let come to the table, well, then I guess that's what it will be. You know them better than I do so maybe your fears are well founded.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Where does it say in the contract that the union can't make any changes to the seniority system without the company's approval?
I guess it really comes down to your E-board and whether they have a set of cojones or not. If they do make the change because that's what the members want then they should simply notify the company about it and move on. However if they're willing to give up your option week for something they shouldn't even let come to the table, well, then I guess that's what it will be. You know them better than I do so maybe your fears are well founded.
Article 45 of the local 177 supplement......the mutually agreed upon contract language and the voted on and approved by the members........you said ups has no say in union seniority....where does it say that?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article 45 of the local 177 supplement......the mutually agreed upon contract language and the voted on and approved by the members........you said ups has no say in union seniority....where does it say that?
Like I said, if your local is willing to trade away your option week for something that shouldn't even be on the table then yes the company will certainly have a say in your seniority practices, but that's your local's fault.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Like I said, if your local is willing to trade away your option week for something that shouldn't even be on the table then yes the company will certainly have a say in your seniority practices, but that's your local's fault.
You said the ups has no right to say anything about seniority in the contract.....it has nothing to do with my local eboard......you said ups has no say in any locals seniority practice..... Where is that written?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You said the ups has no right to say anything about seniority in the contract.....it has nothing to do with my local eboard......you said ups has no say in any locals seniority practice..... Where is that written?
It doesn't have to be written down in the contract, when have you ever heard of the company deciding when a union member achieves seniority? Or a union putting the membership's seniority rights on the bargaining table? That's ridiculous. If your E board allows your seniority to become a bargaining chip you've got bigger problems.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

It doesn't have to be written down in the contract, when have you ever heard of the company deciding when a union member achieves seniority? Or a union putting the membership's seniority rights on the bargaining table? That's ridiculous. If your E board allows your seniority to become a bargaining chip you've got bigger problems.
So your saying the eboard can change the seniority system right now without ups saying anything in the middle of this contract?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So your saying the eboard can change the seniority system right now without ups saying anything in the middle of this contract?
No, because classification seniority is codified in the current supplement and the membership voted to approve it. If (and that's a big if) the membership voted to change they would probably put it into effect next contract. My point is that it's not a bargaining chip, you won't have to give up your option week or anything like that. That's just crazy talk.

I posted this once before in another thread. I spoke to a feeder steward weeks ago. Per the hall "The company will not be willing to let us do this, without getting something HUGE back in return. Start with giving back our option week and go from there is what he was told. He was also told it's for everything, or nothing. Not just feeder. For everything. PT to FT package, FT package to FT package center transfers. It cannot be done for one select classification. It does not work like that.

This thing is DOA. The petition has a few hundred sigs from 9000 members. I'm totally against it. And I will be affected when I transfer to feeder soon, and I'm still against it.
I talk to a stew and he said the union told him the opposite.

Has anyone ever been part of the National Negotiating Committee? Go find a few of these people and ask them what's it like to negotiate anything with UPS maybe than you will see why this company will ask for something in return. I know a few of them and they say the company is ruthless about everything. So anyone that says they will not ask for anything in return is clueless.
You ask anyone that has been on a NNC in the past like 93 or before that and they will tell you the company didn't ask or get anything... It's not there right to ask for your seniority... You are the guys that are giving the company ideas... Not a good way to go.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
One senority list, vs many, like we have now, so I wanted to transfer, I could waltz right in and bump others if I had more company time.
And if all the routes get bid on a regular basis you won't have to wait long to start bumping!