Massive retirements in 2013?

BCFan

Wow this is interesting. I can surmise that this crappy contract was being formulated for quite some time. Info like the OP stated is not leaked by accident rather with a purpose in mind. Company really wants a "youth" renewal with the ability to depreciate their assets (that's us drivers) when the company detects that employees are slowing down from age and constant on the job related injuries and repetitive movements......BC

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow this is interesting. I can surmise that this crappy contract was being formulated for quite some time. Info like the OP stated is not leaked by accident rather with a purpose in mind. Company really wants a "youth" renewal with the ability to depreciate their assets (that's us drivers) when the company detects that employees are slowing down from age and constant on the job related injuries and repetitive movements......BC

​Or ... even a blind pig will find an acorn on occasion.

With this...CRAPPY CONTRACT...................It looks like my old slow ass will be here longer than the company or myself wants to be!!!!

Nimnim

The Nim
I once believed there would be a bunch of people waiting to retire til they see how this contract goes, but given the pension changes unless people are really set on retiring and have all their ducks in a row it'll be 2017 before we have a chance of seeing any mass retirements. Which if I'm right the wait time for PT to FT just got a few more years longer on top of the steadily increasing times in most locations.

BCFan

​Or ... even a blind pig will find an acorn on occasion.
Quite folksy Hoax however I must inquire, are you tipping a jug? Rank and File needs to make UPS squeal like a pig caught under a gate!.....BC (better contract)!!!!!!!!!!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The contract raised the monthly payout from the pension by 200 dollars, so those guys that are sitting on the fence about retirement are now waiting for the contract to be ratified.
Once that happens, we have 2 package drivers and one one feeder driver that will leave our 38 driver center.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The contract raised the monthly payout from the pension by 200 dollars, so those guys that are sitting on the fence about retirement are now waiting for the contract to be ratified.
Once that happens, we have 2 package drivers and one one feeder driver that will leave our 38 driver center.

It only raised the retirement in the UPS/IBT plan. Not sure yet if our plan will follow suit.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
This is a pretty old thread...but if we're bumping it I'll contribute.

The baby boomers are at the right age where you'd expect to see retirement en mass, however with the crappy economy and the hit investments took in '08 and haven't fully recovered...not all drivers who are eligible and want to retire will right now.

I think those who are on the fence may take the plunge after seeing the bump in pension in the new contract and seeing that the monthly medical premiums for retirees is only going to be a fraction of what the company had originally published last year.

I have a ton of white haired drivers in my center who have worked hard and have earned a break. Conversely some older folks like working and simply don't want to retire.

P.S. Remember this article? lol http://voices.yahoo.com/ups-announces-25000-ups-jobs-offering-hope-to-5803660.html

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I was talking the other day with a Union Rep and he said after the new contract passes in 2013 to look for a massive amount of retirements. He said it could be one of the biggest cycles of retiring drivers in 10 years and it might mean they hire drivers with less than a year of seniority.

Does this always happen after a new contract, or am I being a fed a line of BS?

Doubtful. It never happens that way, and this contract isn't anything special. Things will be normal, or extra retirements will be no more than normal, I suspect.

U

uber

I started this thread about two months before I got the call to go driving. I forgot all about it.

Doubtful. It never happens that way, and this contract isn't anything special. Things will be normal, or extra retirements will be no more than normal, I suspect.
We have a few guys on the edge...they have enough time but not sure if they want to retire. The change to Teamcare is why they want to leave!!

sigreq

Of course these guys ain't goin anywhere. Piss and moan about how bad they hate the place 30 minutes before punch in and 30 mins after punch out. Have a guy in my building 2nd from the top on seniority, been there 35 years. Says he's not gonna retire until he's top senior man in the building. There's more to life

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The problem with retiring sometimes is, if you're not making money, you're spending money. It's difficult to retire comfortably if you haven't planned since your early days. The nice thing about UPS is you can make up time if you don't live too grand a lifestyle. I can handle a 3 bedroom house in my lower middle class neighborhood...forever if need be. Don't need to move uptown. Don't need a brand new car. Luckily I spend most of my time at work, with my kids or online. Don't need much to survive. When I turn 60-ish, I'll be able to retire with little worry. Of course that's if the good ol' US doesn't go tits up between now and then.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Also, between feeder, drivers, and 22.3 guys, 21 retirement expected in the next 18 months. Plus there's always the boneheads that find ways to ruin their career. And the unexpected stuff too...just had a guy who is barely 40 have a heart attack. He wasn't super chubby or anything...sometimes you just never know.

tejano408

no but if this contract passes there are 150,000 upsers under the benefits and retirement package. here in san jose and sunnyvale anyone 25yrs or more can retire and have benefits and just pay $50 a month. under new contract starting 1-1-14 anyone retiring is going to have to pay $150 a month and by 2016 it will be $300 a month. so there will be a massive retirement and I believe there will be a driver shortage in some buildings because there will be feeder and package drivers retiring by december. That why we are asking everyone to Vote NO on the contract

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

no but if this contract passes there are 150,000 upsers under the benefits and retirement package. here in san jose and sunnyvale anyone 25yrs or more can retire and have benefits and just pay $50 a month. under new contract starting 1-1-14 anyone retiring is going to have to pay $150 a month and by 2016 it will be $300 a month. so there will be a massive retirement and I believe there will be a driver shortage in some buildings because there will be feeder and package drivers retiring by december. That why we are asking everyone to Vote NO on the contract

You are asking us to vote "no" just so you won't have to hire more drivers?