New branding!

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
B.S., unless it's some Podunk general aviation airport. Ever hear of SIDA badges or secured ramps? You're full of it. "Yes, my name is Hassan Al Mohammed, please let me into your secured airport hub".
I've known you long enough and you me to know I don't talk BS.

Code 82 Approved

Well good luck with that.

Purple promise is just some lip service phraseology Fred pulled out of his ass awhile ago. If Smith doesn't care about customer service then you guys don't stand a chance. Kinda' like the Boy Scouts going over to fight ISIS.

Beside, since when is Ground dedicated to providing quality service?
Since Express doesn't give a hoot?

It will be fine

B.S., unless it's some Podunk general aviation airport. Ever hear of SIDA badges or secured ramps? You're full of it. "Yes, my name is Hassan Al Mohammed, please let me into your secured airport hub".
How do you think Ground delivers to the major airports? We can gain access and get SIDA badges.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Come on, express stuff isnt going anywhere... mainly the extreme NDAs..

I had a previous route to a military base & it usually takes 30 min to go through the chexkpoint. But, they cleared me for a 6 month pass so all they haveta do is get the bomb sniffing dog and do a quick visual of my truck on future attempts to that base. I told them thanks since we dont get paid by the hour like ups...

Savers, maybe, but eventhough we can get those passes, it's still a crapshoot with a Ground or HD driver to follow-up with them.

Sure, there are some good ground HD drivers out there, but thats not the majority. (Did u see my accordion box thread? I'm one of them)

I had crappy contractors in the past, but im with a good one right now (except for the vehicle i drive)

Each area ~route is different. My area has 4~6 UPSers and 3 Fx Express drivers (6+ postal drivers 3 of em are rural~ flat salary drivers with no uniforms)

Purplepackage

Come on, express stuff isnt going anywhere... mainly the extreme NDAs..

I had a previous route to a military base & it usually takes 30 min to go through the chexkpoint. But, they cleared me for a 6 month pass so all they haveta do is get the bomb sniffing dog and do a quick visual of my truck on future attempts to that base. I told them thanks since we dont get paid by the hour like ups...

Savers, maybe, but eventhough we can get those passes, it's still a crapshoot with a Ground or HD driver to follow-up with them.

Sure, there are some good ground HD drivers out there, but thats not the majority. (Did u see my accordion box thread? I'm one of them)

I had crappy contractors in the past, but im with a good one right now (except for the vehicle i drive)

Each area ~route is different. My area has 4~6 UPSers and 3 Fx Express drivers (6+ postal drivers 3 of em are rural~ flat salary drivers with no uniforms)

The reason that other op cos have that many drivers in your area is because of commit times and making it back to stations by the time trucks have to leave for air freight.

On some routes i would love to be able to just straight line and drive home like you get to do

OrioN

I knew that, from reading previous posts on this thread... i see UPSers on my route going back to back to offload their airs so that one truck can make it to base on time.

Yet, these other posters are still contemplating on how they're gonna try to combine into one opco.... not gonna happen in this lifetime or in Fred S's lifetime

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I knew that, from reading previous posts on this thread... i see UPSers on my route going back to back to offload their airs so that one truck can make it to base on time.

Yet, these other posters are still contemplating on how they're gonna try to combine into one opco.... not gonna happen in this lifetime or in Fred S's lifetime

They are most likely moving their pickups to one car and remaining work to the other.

OrioN

Hmm, ya i thought that's what i've stated... some nights we both be out there at 2000 and it's not even peak yet. While usps and express are already done n back to base

bacha29

The biggest threat to the income security of Express employees is their belief that they are indispensable ,irreplaceable and inexpendable . EVERYBODY'S EXPENDABLE. EVERYBODY MUST AND WILL ADAPT TO PRESENT AND FUTURE CHANGES IN THE MARKET. That includes Fedex management, route drivers and contractors. The transportation industry is driven by one factor and one factor only........consumption. All you have to do is to keep an eye on the transportation stock index which is tied to tonnage which is stagnant and showing signs of falling. If it falls significantly cost cutting and the shifting of freight to the Fedex operating unit that has the capacity, operating authority and operating economies needed to create the largest margins possible in an environment dominated by rate cutting will occur.

MAKAVELI

The biggest threat to the income security of Express employees is their belief that they are indispensable ,irreplaceable and inexpendable . EVERYBODY'S EXPENDABLE. EVERYBODY MUST AND WILL ADAPT TO PRESENT AND FUTURE CHANGES IN THE MARKET. That includes Fedex management, route drivers and contractors. The transportation industry is driven by one factor and one factor only........consumption. All you have to do is to keep an eye on the transportation stock index which is tied to tonnage which is stagnant and showing signs of falling. If it falls significantly cost cutting and the shifting of freight to the Fedex operating unit that has the capacity, operating authority and operating economies needed to create the largest margins possible in an environment dominated by rate cutting will occur.
No one here thinks we are indispensable. We just know turning the Express div into a contractor model is highly improbable. There is a point of diminished return with the lack of control at Express which you and other ground jocks seem to lack an understanding of. The brand was built on Express and that is something FedEx cannot afford to lose. If Express goes contractor, the brand is no longer and we become just a large Ontrac.;)

Purplepackage

you could be right, who knows. But i do know that i watched the entire economy tank into a recession and guess what, fedex didnt lay off a single employee

Code 82 Approved

No one here thinks we are indispensable. We just know turning the Express div into a contractor model is highly improbable. There is a point of diminished return with the lack of control at Express which you and other ground jocks seem to lack an understanding of. The brand was built on Express and that is something FedEx cannot afford to lose. If Express goes contractor, the brand is no longer and we become just a large Ontrac.;)
I'll agree with you in principle, the E made the name. The sweat and tears of many before me created a brand. Sustaining that brand is another coloring book for us to scribble in.

We will lose a Kohl's and gain Toys R Us. Adidas goes FedEx and GNC dumps us. David's Bridal and Dell. It's a constant circle of change we have no control over.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

Think for one minute if FDX thought they could combine OPCOs they would have.
There are big legal hurdles, and the RLA exemption that they cherish that they would be risking.
not to mention Express is the face the company, the speedy on time deliveries is what built the company
they aren't about the chance it, with a risky move like letting ground take it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What makes you think I can't spank my kids into doing what you do? Your whole collective thought process just baffles me. All the express people I deal with are so 180 with the people on here I sometimes have trouble seeing straight.
You and the optimistic ground contractors have experienced X squeezing them for making profits that X self-righteously claims as theirs, and you whine bitterly. What WE are saying is you've only experienced the tip of the iceberg of asinine micromanagement that would destroy your business dreams. Taking over all delivery aspects has you licking your chops, but the reality of it would have you contemplating suicide. That's the experience that Express drivers are bitching about that you can't seem to grasp. The grass is always greener...

dmac1

I've watched the whale land many times after my dispatch. That's a great point. Ground trucks may arrive around 7:30, and PO may not arrive until 9:00 at the ramp, which makes it impossible to xfer to any hub G or E until flipping noon.

No transfers to ground will be needed when express terminals are closed and all packages go directly to 'ground' terminals. There is no reason for fedex to have multiple terminals/stations in the same city.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No transfers to ground will be needed when express terminals are closed and all packages go directly to 'ground' terminals. There is no reason for fedex to have multiple terminals/stations in the same city.

Here's what you don't get. Others have tried to explain it, but it doesn't seem to sink-in. Ground leaves the building more or less like clockwork because you get your freight by truck. Most of it isn't very time sensitive and you don't have the various service deadlines and/or on-calls to deal with.

Try getting everything done when your plane or CTV arrives 2 or 3 hours late. Most Ground drivers are incapable of anything but straightlining, which is increasingly the case at Express as well.

I sincerely hope Fredward tries it and it goes straight to the toilet...which it would.