New branding!

dmac1

We do...and ALL the drivers are expected to handle the material correctly. Something I doubt a ground driver or contractor is equipped to do.

Like ground drivers can't buy placards or go through training. Plus the terminal mgmt will be able to figure it out.

You express boys are desperately trying to prove how unique and highly valuable you are. but not a one of you knew anything about hazmat when you started.

bacha29

Pretty sure you were only required to have a drivers license to get a job. What makes you the smart one? Your posts contradict your self-proclaimed intelligence.
Many xpress jocks have been shocked into the realization that the " set for life" by working for X mentality that they had for years is now going among the missing and the quicker they become ready for a period of uncertainty the better off they'll be.

FedGT

Truly amazing how elite some people think they are. I pick up box, I walk, I put down box. Me not like maroon with purple and green shirt.

I would like to know why you come on here and have to try to think you are better than anyone else. We all do the same job, some make more than others, but no one is better than anyone else

Exec32

I'm not sure what the risk would be. We have to assume if they were to do it, it would be legal, so lets take that off the table as a risk. So then what are we saying? I have 100K employees (throwing out a number) 20K need to remain employees because of X,Y,Z regulations and absolute needs. But 80K aren't any different than ground at sorting, picking up and delivering, on top of that I won't be doubling up drivers in the field, in fact I would have better coverage with overall less man power and equipment on the road.

I have to assume at this point that each contracted person is money saved, at least directly. I still feel Fedex has a lot to win being unified though either way, but I've been told I'm wrong on this one before.
Can X satisfy regulations, eliminate lawsuits, establish an acceptable margin with the contractor model or employee status. I think you know the answer to that. And all indications point to vastly improved efficiencies and cost savings with the right choice. By the way only one model will protect the brand and ensure customer demands and expectations are met.
The other choice, save X money, nothing else..,.

Exec32

Could it perhaps be a partial? Where the parts that have to be employees remains employees and parts that can be handled by contractors, become contractors? Personally I rather see everyone fall under Express, it is a better more consistent model for your customers.
Partial? That's what they are doing now, see where that's got em

dmac1

Can X satisfy regulations, eliminate lawsuits, establish an acceptable margin with the contractor model or employee status. I think you know the answer to that. And all indications point to vastly improved efficiencies and cost savings with the right choice. By the way only one model will protect the brand and ensure customer demands and expectations are met.
The other choice, save X money, nothing else..,.

Again you are downgrading the capabilities of ground contractors. As you've ignored before, ground contractors will have a lot more at risk in getting all packages delivered satisfactorily than ANY current express driver has. The only thing an express driver risks if failing to meet times is his job. A contractor risks hundreds of thousands of dollars potentially if he fails to provide adequate service.

Exec32

Again you are downgrading the capabilities of ground contractors. As you've ignored before, ground contractors will have a lot more at risk in getting all packages delivered satisfactorily than ANY current express driver has. The only thing an express driver risks if failing to meet times is his job. A contractor risks hundreds of thousands of dollars potentially if he fails to provide adequate service.
That protects the brand, and satisfied customer demands on a consistent bases? My man you probably are a good contractor and reliable, but we both know that there are a dozen contractors that don't know what there doing for every one that is committed. I don't downgrade all ground workers, but come on fedex doesn't pay enough for us to provide the service they demand.

bacha29

Given the near certainty of higher demands, higher risks, increased capital requirements a much more competitive labor market given with 12,000 boomer heading off to retirement every contractor will at some time or another have to decide when they have had enough.

fedex_rtd

Yep, and when FedEx says jump, you jump because you have no choice. It's not like you can peddle your "business" to another corporation. The contractors are just FedEx's fall guys.

Exec32

You don't think they like where it's gotten them?
Lawsuits in every state, damage to their brand, loss of customer confidence. All for what, for something they would of had anyway if they would have don't the right way to begin with, a 30% share of a market that has only 2 competitors.
Yup, sure seems like a great deal. You know they still would of made just as much money and probably captured more market share by doing it right. The only thing they really saved was the start up cost that they passed on to us. Just saying,...

bbsam

Staff member
Lawsuits in every state, damage to their brand, loss of customer confidence. All for what, for something they would of had anyway if they would have don't the right way to begin with, a 30% share of a market that has only 2 competitors.
Yup, sure seems like a great deal. You know they still would of made just as much money and probably captured more market share by doing it right. The only thing they really saved was the start up cost that they passed on to us. Just saying,...
That makes no sense. The profit they make even with the lawsuits etc. are far more lucrative than what you suggest.

fedex_rtd

How this change will not effect the customer in a negative way will be something to see. Right now when an express and a freight rig show up, the customer can easily tell who is who, but if they carry this all the way through to uniforms, it's only going to confuse the issue.

dmac1

I have always thought that using contractors to save money was false economy for the reasons you do, but Fred S seems to be personally invested in using contractors. He has proven that fedex doesn't care as much about quality simply by not paying Express drivers as much as their UPS counterparts earn.

Fedex uses cutrate vehicles and cut rate drivers. It proves that the intangibles of loyalty and dedication don't have much value.

As long as he can get away with settling lawsuits for less than the illegal action saved, he is doing what he thinks is right for stockholders. If using contractors until an illegal contract for nearly 20 years cost fedex $1 billion in settlements, but saved him $2 billion in costs, he comes out ahead. And the fact that it took 16 years to settle the IC/employee issue can only give Fred even more encouragement. This new ISP arrangment should save even more money than the IC model did, and probably take even longer in court, with a greater chance of Fred winning.

dmac1

And if fedex makes twice as much per delivery as UPS, only having 30% of the market means it is like having 60% of the market while doing half the work.

bacha29

How this change will not effect the customer in a negative way will be something to see. Right now when an express and a freight rig show up, the customer can easily tell who is who, but if they carry this all the way through to uniforms, it's only going to confuse the issue.
You may be onto something there because a lot of people are quite surprised to discover that contrary their long standing belief not only is Fedex not a federally commissioned operation a portion of it involves people who are not even company employees. Now Ground contractors are required to place their own company's name for example ABC Trucking on the side of their trucks. Now we did this say 20 plus years ago but were told to take them off unless the local jurisdiction where the contractor required it. Going to all orange may be another attempt to hide the existence of third party contractors . Therefore when the rebranding comes around I wouldn't be surprised if contractors are ordered to take their names back off their trucks. If they are than we'll then know the real reason for going all orange

Exec32

And if fedex makes twice as much per delivery as UPS, only having 30% of the market means it is like having 60% of the market while doing half the work.
Nice numbers. They may save 25% only on the ground side. Bleeding on priority and freight. That 25% is worth ruining the brand and facing continuous scrutiny and lawsuits. By the way we share the same scanner, software and uniforms, do I work for you to? We are not contractors.

Exec32

I have always thought that using contractors to save money was false economy for the reasons you do, but Fred S seems to be personally invested in using contractors. He has proven that fedex doesn't care as much about quality simply by not paying Express drivers as much as their UPS counterparts earn.

Fedex uses cutrate vehicles and cut rate drivers. It proves that the intangibles of loyalty and dedication don't have much value.

As long as he can get away with settling lawsuits for less than the illegal action saved, he is doing what he thinks is right for stockholders. If using contractors until an illegal contract for nearly 20 years cost fedex $1 billion in settlements, but saved him $2 billion in costs, he comes out ahead. And the fact that it took 16 years to settle the IC/employee issue can only give Fred even more encouragement. This new ISP arrangment should save even more money than the IC model did, and probably take even longer in court, with a greater chance of Fred winning.
I agree with everything you said, I just believe the outcome for the future will not include us.

vantexan

Many xpress jocks have been shocked into the realization that the " set for life" by working for X mentality that they had for years is now going among the missing and the quicker they become ready for a period of uncertainty the better off they'll be.
You are so badly wanting all of us to get screwed like you got screwed. Got news for you, many of us who have stuck with FedEx have gotten repeatedly screwed. For all the peanut gallery folk who gleefully point out that we stayed in spite of getting reamed it's called life. To get that pension, to have a job where you aren't tied to an office desk all day, to have one job paying $18hr instead of two or three paying $9hr, to weather recessions, to keep up with the mortgage payments, whatever, means putting up with A-hole mgrs, A-hole coworkers, A-hole customers, and just hang on for dear life until you finally don't have to. There is no perfect job, because there aren't any perfect people. FedEx Express sucks, but FedEx Ground faux Express will suck more. Just remember there are something like 70,000 Express couriers out there. Ground contractors taking over everything we do isn't just a matter of adding a few extra employees. Good luck finding enough people willing to work for peanuts and no benefits when Express can't keep'em happy now. Oh yes, it'll be a piece of cake to hear you guys. Good luck!

Exec32

Most indications point to ground transitioning to employee status under express. We finally get to meet.
I still don't understand the friction between express and ground divisions. Fred probably wants it like that.