New branding!

Gone fishin

Why do you think an ISP with years of experience and tens of thousands of dollars at risk if he can't meet time commitments, can't get people to deliver a few packages by a certain time?????

Minimum wage is headed to $15 an hour. $15- $18 an hour isn't going to look that great.
Because you get what you pay for. Why wouldn't ups break the union and hire contractors Their profits would be unbelievable Do you think that could happen. Why not pay sm 28 thousand a yr. someone would take the job. Think of the money saved. How about senior managers make 50 thousand. ?
Somebody would do it. Come on man

bacha29

Makavelli, Fedex will change in whatever way necessary in order to best serve the market. That fact isn't going to change. Regardless of what you think or say X has and will continue to use the assets in it''s inventory to best serve the market and in the manner that will produce the best returns. If your beloved Express division can fulfill that objective it will continue do so. If it cannot then one or more of the numerous options available will be deployed and that includes the shifting of freight over to the Ground OPCO . And yes, if it can get the job done then indeed it could result in wage, benefit and full time headcount erosion over at Express. No one is or will try to hide that from you. In the meantime all who stand to be impacted can do nothing but wait and see what happens.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If Ground division is so god-almighty professional and capable, they better be prepared to handle the majority of UPS business first, because the customer wants it cheaper, and as we've been told over and over again, Ground does it better and cheaper than everyone. How delusional.

It will be fine

If Ground division is so god-almighty professional and capable, they better be prepared to handle the majority of UPS business first, because the customer wants it cheaper, and as we've been told over and over again, Ground does it better and cheaper than everyone. How delusional.
Where do you think all our volume came from? Ground takes market share from ups every year.

bacha29

And that my friend is why ground will remain ground and express will stay express. It's really not that hard.
But don't think for a moment that ground's capabilities will not be tested in other markets and other classes of shipping. In time they will find out what it can and cannot do. In the meantime one can only wait to see what the final numbers are while not losing sight of Ground's biggest and best weapon in it's arsenal.......It's ability to quickly adapt to a changing market .

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
But don't think for a moment that ground's capabilities will not be tested in other markets and other classes of shipping. In time they will find out what it can and cannot do. In the meantime one can only wait to see what the final numbers are while not losing sight of Ground's biggest and best weapon in it's arsenal.......It's ability to quickly adapt to a changing market .
I think it's already happening in the new larger Ground hubs. I suspect they sometimes purposely dispatch us after 9:00 with "late trailers" to test us. There's no way in hell a tandem trailer from 100 miles away should be late with the frequency it is. I can double dispatch because we plan ahead, but many can not.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Where do you think all our volume came from? Ground takes market share from ups every year.
The "Market" is not a finite number that must be divvied up amongst competitors, but a fluid and ever-growing number that multiple service companies compete for. And BTW, Expressaver packages were low margin offerings to prevent UPS from dominating ground service, BEFORE RPS became Ground. Moving that volume over actually makes Express MORE profitable.

It will be fine

The "Market" is not a finite number that must be divvied up amongst competitors, but a fluid and ever-growing number that multiple service companies compete for. And BTW, Expressaver packages were low margin offerings to prevent UPS from dominating ground service, BEFORE RPS became Ground. Moving that volume over actually makes Express MORE profitable.
It's market share, as in percentage of the overall market. Ground has been taking that from UPS forever. And is that last bit an argument for diverting express saver to Ground for delivery? I thought you were trying to argue against that.

SmithBarney

Because you get what you pay for. Why wouldn't ups break the union and hire contractors Their profits would be unbelievable Do you think that could happen. Why not pay sm 28 thousand a yr. someone would take the job. Think of the money saved. How about senior managers make 50 thousand. ?
Somebody would do it. Come on man

Because UPS has a pretty good recipe for success, they have HAPPY, PRODUCTIVE employees. Sure those guys piss and moan too, but guess what on Friday when they look at that paycheck.. and they are taking home net pay over $1000/week(to around 1700)

SmithBarney

It's market share, as in percentage of the overall market. Ground has been taking that from UPS forever. And is that last bit an argument for diverting express saver to Ground for delivery? I thought you were trying to argue against that.

Keep in mind, that while ground has been growing there is no question of that, total small package shipments have increased substantially in the last 10 years, for all carriers and service levels. Still plenty of work to go around... but I would caution watch AMAZON... they've already implemented a UBER style delivery program.

Last edited:

Code 82 Approved

Because UPS has a pretty good recipe for success, they have HAPPY, PRODUCTIVE employees. Sure those guys piss and moan too, but guess what on Friday when they look at that paycheck.. and they are taking home net pay over $1000/week(to around 1700)
I netted close to that/week for 6 months when doing my own route and covering a preggo's straight truck for her maternity. Did it again covering Express drop boxes collecting the experimental Ground packages for a year. UPS Guys are animals, I could never maintain that level of abuse physically for much longer than I did.

Code 82 Approved

Didn't anyone tell them the experiment is over? I get Ground almost everyday in my boxes..or ON the box, or NEXT to the box...
Imagines some huge busted up futon or the likes... scantily jammed in a wet soggy box next to an express drop out in BFE, with a Ground Call Tag.
What was cool about the drop boxes, is if I combined all the entry numbers for the 60 of them I covered in all, was one secure password for my login here.

SmithBarney

Imagines some huge busted up futon or the likes... scantily jammed in a wet soggy box next to an express drop out in BFE, with a Ground Call Tag.
What was cool about the drop boxes, is if I combined all the entry numbers for the 60 of them I covered in all, was one secure password for my login here.

That's nothing try a complete BowFlex system(~8boxes) that has been sitting out on the porch in the weather for 3 weeks, and the customer decides they don't want because they weren't home for us to bring it inside for them... This is when I was at UPS many moons ago, we promptly refused pickup due to improper packaging(cardboard was falling apart)..customer never to be heard from again.

Code 82 Approved

That's nothing try a complete BowFlex system(~8boxes) that has been sitting out on the porch in the weather for 3 weeks, and the customer decides they don't want because they weren't home for us to bring it inside for them... This is when I was at UPS many moons ago, we promptly refused pickup due to improper packaging(cardboard was falling apart)..customer never to be heard from again.
This is where the subcultures of p&d could flourish! Send an Uber guy with a van, 2 Men and a Truck, 800-I-Got-JUNK.

I've seen my terminal request dispatch of local couriers to deliver lates and refusals.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Keep in mind, that while ground has been growing there is no question of that, total small package shipments have increased substantially in the last 10 years, for all carriers and service levels. Still plenty of work to go around... but I would caution watch AMAZON... they've already implemented a UBER style delivery program.
Well Amazon may find out that a Uber model for deliveries can turn into a house of cards real quick.

dmac1

I don't think an Uber style delivery program will last much longer than the IC model lasted. Are Uber driver's commercially licensed and insured? Do their vehicles meet DOT standards? Do they maintain their vehicles? Most cities and counties require a business license, which means the Uber driver will need commercial insurance, and that will make it almost impossible to work on a part time basis.

I can't believe that Uber has gotten away so long already with big cities not requiring taxi permits for those offering personal transport for hire.