New peak driver helper: lazy driver

Marne Vet

...and here I thought we were supposed to work together as a team....

"Team" isn't defined as equal amount of stops being run off by the helper and driver. I'm the Quarterback, and I call the plays. My job is to get us across the finish line safely, and as quick as possible. While I'm digging through the car getting the next stops ready, DR'ing them so my helper can grab them and run them off, and moving the truck up to the next stop, that's the "team" effort. If you're the helper, and your job is to run the stops while I do everything else, then that's how the "team" works Champ. Any questions buy the Cliff Notes.

UPSGUY72

I'm not exactly sure what I should have expected as a driver helper. I've had 3 drivers due to a nasty cold and a back injury (I'm out of shape okay. >_>), and the first two were much more active than my latest driver.

He ends up taking around 5-15 packages while I'm with him (I started counting a few days ago), while I take DR and get signatures (forget what that's called) at around 180-215 packages per 6-8 hour shift. He does 30-50 before I arrive. Am I over-reacting? (I haven't really reacted, more of a, 'ow...my legs are on fire, couldn't he do a little more--or at least stop telling me I'm going slow while I'm faster than him')

I will admit to getting a little annoyed.

I'm getting slower by the day, but he acts as though I should be sprinting (my regular pace is about twice as fast as a general one, normally--I walk faster than he jog-walks)

Should I change drivers, or should I just bite the grindstone (since I'm a temp anyway) or whatever they say?

Permanent UPS looks like an outstanding opportunity, so I don't want to mess anything up by trying to switch drivers or anything like that.

I have been doing around 250 stops a day with my helper no helper board. My helper doesn't touch the DIAD. I only get out of the car a handful of times a day. That how it works on my car if my helper doesn't like it he can go find another job.

The only thing my helper has to do is follow my instruction and walk the package from the package car to the deliver point and get back to package car without getting hurt. No thinking is required.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not a runner and gunner. And I try and follow the methods during peak just like I would any other day of the year so I don't get much use out of a helper other than I can clean up the mess in the back of the truck while they are delivering. And once that is accomplished I start sorting areas that has allot of duplicate SPA numbers (sequence numbers). And once that is accomplished I start delivering anything on the left side of the truck and the helper is responsible for the right. If two are on the right then I take one and the helper takes another. With all of that said…..I could care less what a helper, or any other driver or desk jockey, thinks of how I do my job. I know I'm doing it correctly to the best of my ability and that's all that matters. I agree with the previous poster that said the driver is like a QB. I am the QB and I call my own plays.

BrownArmy

Every route is different, sooooo...

I'm on a 98% super-dense resi route about 1.5 miles away from my center (350-400 stops with 500-600 pkgs in a 1000)

I'm on area at 9:30 (if I leave the building on time, lulz), and I pick my helper up at 1100, by which time I've cleared enough space to actually walk into the truck. Several days I've had to remove a very large box just to fit my hand-cart in.

Both my helper and I deliver stops all day long (he's a nice guy, shows up more or less on time, slow as shinola, but at least he's consistent).

He doesn't touch the DIAD - I've cleared the requisite number of stops in the 'helper board' before I even pick him up. I've had DIAD capable helpers in the past, this guy isn't one of them. No worries.

If I have to sort, I'll have him deliver as many stops as possible, otherwise he plays on his phone while I try and make sense of the hurricane in my truck. After 1500 when I've finally got the truck in order, we're both delivering.

This is after 40 stops are off:

Logistics.

gingerkat

Please read this thoroughly before telling me to go pound sand. I can see both sides, so just trying to get you guys to see the helper side.

I think many drivers fail to realize that driver helpers are not told much other than they will "assist" in delivering boxes and that it is a fast paced job. It all sounds like a fairly simply job and that not much else is needed, why else would they hire just about anyone? They never tell helpers or even hint that the driver is the boss.

I know that you guys work off the phrase "work as directed", but a helper has no idea what that means. Sometimes a little explanation goes a long way and can really get a helper to understand better. Drivers do these things day in and day out for years and I understand how frustrating it must be. Imagine how equally frustrating it is to a newbie that knows nothing of this and terrified to piss off the driver?

I asked a ton of questions my first year and still ask. It just makes me more useful to the driver. I don't usually agree with Dave, but I think I agree with him on his helper usage.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please read this thoroughly before telling me to go pound sand. I can see both sides, so just trying to get you guys to see the helper side.

I think many drivers fail to realize that driver helpers are not told much other than they will "assist" in delivering boxes and that it is a fast paced job. It all sounds like a fairly simply job and that not much else is needed, why else would they hire just about anyone? They never tell helpers or even hint that the driver is the boss.

I know that you guys work off the phrase "work as directed", but a helper has no idea what that means. Sometimes a little explanation goes a long way and can really get a helper to understand better. Drivers do these things day in and day out for years and I understand how frustrating it must be. Imagine how equally frustrating it is to a newbie that knows nothing of this and terrified to piss off the driver?

I asked a ton of questions my first year and still ask. It just makes me more useful to the driver. I don't usually agree with Dave, but I think I agree with him on his helper usage.

The first two things I do when the helper steps on the pkg car for the first time is go over the safety rules (seat belt, hand rail, cross behind pkg car, walk/don't run), my personal rules (no smoking, limit cell phone use, try to time rest room breaks to stops w/public facilities) and my expectations (work at a brisk yet safe pace).

Having a helper who knows how to use the DIAD is a huge asset.

My helper is also a preloader so his hours are limited but we are still able to work together to get the stops delivered and I have been punching out at 18:15-1830 every day. Last night was an exception as I was asked to go back out and help a younger driver who was in way over his head. Ran off 40 stops of former base housing and was punched out at 2000.

Rawrzxor

Have I taken your rants out of context? I don't see how.

That might be your problem. You come across as, A: a complete dick, B: an illiterate, C: I'm so sorry your job is so difficult and high-paying. I'm not going to waste any more time, after this, by replying to any of your quasi-sadistic bull:censored2:. I get it, your job is hard and you have to do it all year. Stop whining.

For literally the sixth or seventh time: the point of this post was to SEE whether or NOT I was required to do as much work as I was doing BECAUSE I HADN'T been doing that much work with the OTHER drivers, who were my initial REFERENCE of how many boxes I was REQUIRED to do.

It seems as though you're more intent on chastising me rather than answering a simple question, simply.

Later.

Rawrzxor

Thank you page 5 for restoring my faith in UPS. @_@

But yes, seriously. Just, "The driver is the boss, do what he tells you," PERFECTLY answers my question, without assailing me with insults.

wayfair

swollen member
I'm not exactly sure what I should have expected as a driver helper. I've had 3 drivers due to a nasty cold and a back injury (I'm out of shape okay. >_>), and the first two were much more active than my latest driver.
Thank you page 5 for restoring my faith in UPS. @_@

But yes, seriously. Just, "The driver is the boss, do what he tells you," PERFECTLY answers my question, without assailing me with insults.

If you can't push the cardboard, I'll have a #2 with Large fries..

BCFan

Your driver sounds like me , I don't get out of the truck unless it is needed

When both of you are out of the truck the next few stops don't get lined up or you can't find that missing box

But maybe in up states truck his whole truck is already lined up stop per stop
Saying he works off clock for free?