No discipline for going back out after in for the night...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Central Region
Article 19, Section 6:
Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after having completed their full day’s work.

If you are in the Central; I would refuse to go back out. Once you are back at the building and have 8 hours in they can't discipline you for refusing to go back out. The fact that they sent the message before you came back in has no relevance. They can make you do extra work while out on area, but once you return with 8 in, no way.

If they then tell you to work as directed and go back out...I would go back out and file the next day, and that would end it.

Did you miss the part where he was clearly directed not to punch out as he was needed to run off a misload?

35years

Gravy route
Did you miss the part where he was clearly directed not to punch out as he was needed to run off a misload?
No,
Did you miss the part where he was told to return to the building to get the misload?

Once you return to the bldg in the Central you can not be made to go back out if you have worked 8 hrs. If he has a misload out on his truck...yes. If he is directed to get a misload from another truck...yes.

But returning to the bldg is a different situation. Any pkgs left in the bldg after one's shift are considered extra work since anyone can run them. This extra work can be done by any driver who returns to the bldg. and so is to be given in seniority order by those present and available. The wording in the Central supplement is to address this very issue.

oldngray

nowhere special
No,
Did you miss the part where he was told to return to the building to get the misload?

Once you return to the bldg in the Central you can not be made to go back out if you have worked 8 hrs. If he has a misload out on his truck...yes. If he is directed to get a misload from another truck...yes.

But returning to the bldg is a different situation. Any pkgs left in the bldg after one's shift are considered extra work since anyone can run them. This extra work can be done by any driver who returns to the bldg. and so is to be given in seniority order by those present and available. The wording in the Central supplement is to address this very issue.

Depends on the local language. I was in Central and they couldn't make you go back out after you returned to the building .... unless they send you a message telling you that you would have to go back out before you got back to the building. In that situation you would have to go back out.

km3

Depends on the local language. I was in Central and they couldn't make you go back out after you returned to the building .... unless they send you a message telling you that you would have to go back out before you got back to the building. In that situation you would have to go back out.

Sounds like an easy loophole. I'd be inclined to file anyway and point out how they're attempting to circumvent the language of the contract, which they agreed to. That's not to say that it would have a chance, but still...

BrownArmy

Easiest money ever.

"I'm back in the building".

"OK, I need you to go back out to do -xyz".

"OK, I need to find a truck, no way in heck I'm taking that 1200 out for one stop, also, if I did, I wouldn't be able to re-park it".

"Great, there's a bunch of 700's outside, take one of those".

Copy.

Sixty minutes of overtime to chase one stop?

Yes sir.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well yes I am saying all breaks are done and it's 7pm this is happening. It HASNT happened. But I just wanted to know what rights I have if it does. It has happens to others
If you're back at the building you say no and go home.

If they send you a message that there is work for you at the building you're kind of up :censored2:s creek.

Brownslave688

No,

You're wrong on this. If he's informed of the work while he's still out then he has to take the work.

rod

Retired 22 years
I find it hard to believe there is a problem with this. Most centers have overtime whores who volunteer for this type of stuff.

35years

Gravy route
You're wrong on this. If he's informed of the work while he's still out then he has to take the work.
Are you in the Central?
I prefaced my answers by stating IF you are in the Central. And I quoted the Central Region language.
I am in the Central, and I have encountered this exact situation. Drivers in other areas (such as Upstate) have different language.
Perhaps BUG can chime in here; I am always ready to admit if I am wrong.

However, I have encountered this exact situation. After already being out over 8 hours, I was told I had to pick up stops at the bldg. and run them off (text received while on area). I refused, quoting the Central Region language. I checked with my BA or steward (can't remember which) and he confirmed that if I had to go back to the bldg to get the stops, I could refuse to go back out. Management did not try to discipline me. Perhaps no one has challenged management on this, at your location.

That being said, you have to take stops from other drivers etc., if directed, if you have not returned to the bldg.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Are you in the Central?
I prefaced my answers by stating IF you are in the Central. And I quoted the Central Region language.
I am in the Central, and I have encountered this exact situation. Drivers in other areas (such as Upstate) have different language.

However, I have encountered this exact situation. After already being out over 8 hours, I was told I had to pick up stops at the bldg. and run them off (text received while on area). I refused, quoting the Central Region language. I checked with my BA or steward (can't remember which) and he confirmed that if I had to go back to the bldg to get the stops, I could refuse to go back out. Management did not try to discipline me.

That being said, you have to take stops from other drivers etc., if directed, if you have not returned to the bldg.
I am in Central and if they can catch us b4 we make it back to property, then we have to go back out (even if extra stuff is at building). Work as directed. Once on grounds they are told to pound sand.

35years

Gravy route
Well at our location we can and do refuse. I don't see anything in the wording (that I posted above) that says anything to the effect of "unless we contact you before you return to the bldg."

Management can maintain that you have to go back out, but that does not mean it is true.

Any BAs on the forum from the Central?

All I know is we don't have to go back out after 8 hrs even if they text or call us on area.

Brownslave688

Are you in the Central?

However, I have encountered this exact situation. After already being out over 8 hours, I was told I had to pick up stops at the bldg. and run them off (text received while on area). I refused, quoting the Central Region language. I checked with my BA or steward (can't remember which) and he confirmed that if I had to go back to the bldg to get the stops, I could refuse to go back out. Management did not try to discipline me. Perhaps no one has challenged management on this, at your location.

I'm in the central and you're lucky. BA has told me directly if they catch you before you're back tough luck you have to go back out.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Well at our location we can and do refuse. I don't see anything in the wording (that I posted above) that says anything to the effect of "unless we contact you before you return to the bldg."

Management can maintain that you have to go back out, but that does not mean it is true.

Any BAs on the forum from the Central?

All I know is we don't have to go back out after 8 hrs even if they text or call us on area.
You are right and wrong. If they tell you while you are still on area, and get back and refuse, they will fire you, but you will, get your job back, isn't it fun working here?????