Norwood, MA drivers told they are working Christmas Day

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Christmas happens every single year on December 25th.

The winter solstice occurs every single year between December 19th and the 22nd.

Winter weather typically starts occurring in mid to late November in many parts of the country, and has done so annually for the 150+ years that weather records have been kept.

Perhaps, someday, UPS will come to realize these facts and choose to plan accordingly instead of continually living in a state of denial.

That's just crazy talk. :)

O

OLDMAN3

i wonder who first brought that up and was laughed at?
I sure did not laugh. Beginning of the end was spot on.
Last year UPS corporate did the right thing and cancelled all plans to force Package on Christmas. That does not seem to be happening this year, and some areas will be forced. I imagine next year the practice of forcing on Christmas, Black Friday and Sundays will be more widespread...We all have phones.

iowa boy

Last year UPS corporate did the right thing and cancelled all plans to force Package on Christmas. That does not seem to be happening this year, and some areas will be forced. I imagine next year the practice of forcing on Christmas, Black Friday and Sundays will be more widespread...We all have phones.

Yep I have a phone, but I also know how to turn it off or put it into airplane mode if I don't want to be bothered.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I can hear the yelling now..."Honey, I have to work Christmas Day"!...

giphy.gif

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
dont know what you can do except call off. it is a religious holiday for some people.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If some sort of unforeseeable, catastrophic natural disaster occurred that caused a huge and totally unavoidable backlog in our system, I might be willing to consider the idea of possibly working on Christmas day.

If, however, it was a typical case of UPS being cheap and stupid and refusing to plan ahead for something that happens every freaking year, then no. I would refuse to enable such behavior to be perpetuated by coming in on Christmas Day and rescuing the company from its own incompetence. Let the packages be missed. Let the refunds be paid to angry customers. Let the idiots in charge be held accountable for their failure to plan. Its called "tough love" and sometimes it is unfortunately necessary.

box_beeyotch

I wouldn't do it regardless of how much they paid me. Christmas always has and always will be family day. Some people neglect the fact that family should always come first.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I agree with Sober. If the need to deliver on Christmas was caused by say a blizzard or ice storm, then I might brown up. If the need was a result of Amazon or some other internet store over promising their customers and UPS dropping the ball, then it's just too flipping bad.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
im always willing to help out the company in an unforeseeable emergency like weather, broke down tractor with late loads, or a hurt or sick driver.

but I agree with soberups. we have to stop enabling stupidity.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Outside of a blizzard, if any of my union brothers are working on Christmas, it is a blatant understaffing issue by your local management team.
Having an extra weekday than last year, you should be able to deliver everything that comes into the system this week.