Oh boy Ohhrion

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I covered a route that had orion for the first time today. What a joke. It had me driving past side streets I knew I had deliveries on then going miles away on a tangent then going back doing part of that dumb road then leaving again. It made no sense at all. It had me delivering both sides at once driving down a long road that it then had me going back down anyway so I was constantly crossing the road. It had me bouncing from shelf to shelf most of the day. It had me set to deliver a bunch of ground stops that made no sense before 1030 commits and grouped the NDAs as one stop with the ground even big bulk stops with different pals that were buried.

I told a sup about how it easily cost me 2 hours digging and ping ponging around the town. He said they didn't care because other centers were seeing an average reduction of 7 miles per route. Spend a dollar to save a penny?

I hope orion is scrapped but I have a bad feeling it will stay....

curiousbrain

I covered a route that had orion for the first time today. What a joke. It had me driving past side streets I knew I had deliveries on then going miles away on a tangent then going back doing part of that dumb road then leaving again. It made no sense at all. It had me delivering both sides at once driving down a long road that it then had me going back down anyway so I was constantly crossing the road. It had me bouncing from shelf to shelf most of the day. It had me set to deliver a bunch of ground stops that made no sense before 1030 commits and grouped the NDAs as one stop with the ground even big bulk stops with different pals that were buried.

I told a sup about how it easily cost me 2 hours digging and ping ponging around the town. He said they didn't care because other centers were seeing an average reduction of 7 miles per route. Spend a dollar to save a penny?

I hope orion is scrapped but I have a bad feeling it will stay....

ORION is here for the long haul, sir; and, the whole point is to you have you banging around between different shelves (or, a large part of it, anyway).

Cementups

Box Monkey
My one boss and I were talking about it one day and he asked me what I thought and I told him, "Orion will never be as efficient as this Ryan." He got a good laugh but he knew I wasn't kidding. Especially since I already shaved 10 miles a day of the trip I have after I took it over. So much that i show up way over on their silly papers compared to the old driver running scratch with less stops and way more miles. And no, I am NOT a runner/gunner. I'm out for a leisurely stroll most of the day.

Indecisi0n

I refuse. Not sure about your guys loads but its a safety issues trying to get to the rear of the truck at the start of the day. Until I can walk through my truck I will not follow it. Or if they want I can empty the entire floor grab one package and put everything back.

curiousbrain

I refuse. Not sure about your guys loads but its a safety issues trying to get to the rear of the truck at the start of the day. Until I can walk through my truck I will not follow it. Or if they want I can empty the entire floor grab one package and put everything back.

If you ask sniff around the Preload shifts, you will hear about load audits and the amount the company has clamped down on it. The reason why is so that ORION dispatches will make sense - because of the improved load, you should be able to dig around in the load without any problems.

Of course, that's just what the theory is, not saying I agree to any extent.

laffter

Do your sups actually hound you to follow EDD? I can see them harassing you if you're constantly over-allowed by doing it your own way. But if it's working, why would they even bother you to follow this Orion system?

Indecisi0n

Orion dispatches will never make sense. You are picking and choosing packages randomly all day. What happened to clearing the first shelves and moving everything up?

Indecisi0n

Do your sups actually hound you to follow EDD? I can see them harassing you if you're constantly over-allowed by doing it your own way. But if it's working, why would they even bother you to follow this Orion system?

If you aren't 85% you show up on a list.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Replace those miles with more stops.
Remove one more route daily
One less driver needed yearly
100K plus saved
Those are a lot of pennies....we just picked up.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/oh-boy-ohhrion-351070/#ixzz2XNeqVTDf

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I cannot wait until Orion comes to our center. Management tells us now NOT to follow EDD,but rather 'make smart business decisions when running the route' .It will be AWESOME to run in trace and show management just how bad the plan is. I will strive to be 100% on trace each day. Hey, who am I to question the IE folks with degrees from Georgia Tech?

curiousbrain

I cannot wait until Orion comes to our center. Management tells us now NOT to follow EDD,but rather 'make smart business decisions when running the route' .It will be AWESOME to run in trace and show management just how bad the plan is. I will strive to be 100% on trace each day. Hey, who am I to question the IE folks with degrees from Georgia Tech?

The point is that ORION will tell you pull from this shelf, then that shelf, then this shelf, and finally the floor; the rhyme and reason will make sense from a chair in an AC'd office, but on the road it will be worse than it is now. "Trace" will be an afterthought, as far as I can tell.

DS

Fenderbender
We are in the ice age where I am.
They load by sequence in order and they seldom question
my trace no matter how I do it.I do it the most efficient way,
and that changes every day.Same area now 23 years.
I don't understand how losing 2 hours following this Orion thing
is actually going forward.I run about 40 over every day and I
truly believe anyone doing it faster is not getting lunch.
Why is there so many different priorities scattered all over
with these guys? Oh well,I'll just work as directed and be
happy this anti technology hasn't made it's way here yet.

iowa boy

If you ask sniff around the Preload shifts, you will hear about load audits and the amount the company has clamped down on it. The reason why is so that ORION dispatches will make sense - because of the improved load, you should be able to dig around in the load without any problems.

Of course, that's just what the theory is, not saying I agree to any extent.

Load audits..... hell they tell me anymore if its on the right shelf, doesn't matter if its the right section, but if its on the right self I should be able to find it and its not the preloaders fault. I can't wait to see how much worse it is when orion comes our way. I will just shake my head and collect my overtime.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

The point is that ORION will tell you pull from this shelf, then that shelf, then this shelf, and finally the floor; the rhyme and reason will make sense from a chair in an AC'd office, but on the road it will be worse than it is now. "Trace" will be an afterthought, as far as I can tell.

If Orion were truly smart it would adjust the load during the preload and move everything into order.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Work as instructed, profit, GTFO sooner, least that's my plan. Good luck to you guys trying to buck the system, I can see why some of you might hate working here. Try not caring what burger meal toy they throw in your truck and just do it how they want it, let them reap what they sow while you take home the cabbage.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Failure to follow instructions, termination inevitable. Comply or be terminated.

Not true.

They cannot instruct you to generate some arbitrary 85% compliance metric while at the same time holding you responsible for any missed business, missed pickups, late air etc. that are a direct result of that compliance. Nor can they force you to comply with ORION in a manner which would wind up depriving you of a suitable location to take your lunch break and use a sanitary public restroom. Plus, there is no accurate way for a driver to know on a stop-by-stop basis throughout the day what percentage of compliance he/she is currently running.

If they are setting 85% as the benchmark, then by definition they are already admitting that ORION is imperfect and that they still want the driver to ignore it and make good decisions when necessary. Having admitted that ORION is imperfect and that decisions still must be made by the driver, they cant then turn around and discipline the driver for making those decisions. They cant have it both ways.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I, for one, can't wait for this thing to show up where I am. My route, for the most part, is only about 5 city blocks. I deliver businesses and do pickups most days right up until about 4:15. My DOL is pretty much 100% with a few exceptions, most notable of which is a 400-unit apartment building that is early in my EDD that I skip and don't deliver until about 4:45 (after all commercial stops and pickups are done because it takes between 30-60 minutes to do).

I'm dying to see what happens when Orion tells me to deliver this building at 11:30 AM. The amount of missed businesses will be staggering.