On car supervisor or full time driver

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kingofqueens, May 21, 2014.

1. kingofqueens

kingofqueens New Member

I have recently just made my 30 days driving package car and have been offered a on road supervisor position. I was as part time sup before getting an off the street hire to full time package car driving. I recently just graduated from college and am having a hard time deciding if I should take the promotion or stay a driver. I have heard a mixture of things however was looking for some more information about what both jobs have to offer.

2. UPSmeoff

UPSmeoff Say my name.

Driver

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Back first

Back first Active Member

Dude do not go management. I repeat do not do it. Driving is a tough job but you will have the backing of the union. Management no so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. cachsux

cachsux Wah

If you're not smart enough to know why you shouldn't go into management then you should go into management.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Then, either you have't work here very long...or haven't been paying attention.

6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

He definitely sounds like a candidate for management. Maybe even a spot on ORION team.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. kingofqueens

kingofqueens New Member

worked here very long,

and i have work for ups over 8 years

8. bleedinbrown58

Uh huh.....then if after 8 years, you can't decide about going into management...you obviously haven't spend that time paying attention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

He was a part time sup who somehow managed to get an off the street spot and now wants to know if he should go back to management.

Yep sounds like management material to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. bleedinbrown58

aka driving is too much work! Management material indeed.

11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

People laugh at us but all of our driver sups and center manager were either forced into their positions or admit they couldn't hack it as a driver.

12. bleedinbrown58

Yup..those who can...do. Those who can't...supervise. My current center manager was a driver who washed out.

13. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Good linguistic skills.

Definitely upper management potential.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Is he fat enough? To be In upper management?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. bleedinbrown58

DM or Feedah sized?...lolimages-5.jpeg

16. kingofqueens

kingofqueens New Member

I can definitely hack it as a driver. 23 sph, with 190 stops first 30 days. Thanks for all the positive comments

Sent using BrownCafe App

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

What is your degree in and why aren't you trying to use it rather than working here?

If you were asking me this question 10-15 years ago I would tell you without question to go in to management. Ask me this question today and I will tell you not to make the move.

BTW, don't feel as though you have to justify yourself to anyone in your center and especially anyone on this anonymous Internet forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. kingofqueens

kingofqueens New Member

Supply chain management, I'm 25 years old so I'm leaning towards driving for a while . I enjoy being outside and the customer interaction. We are Christmas year round

Sent using BrownCafe App

19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

My son just received his MBA with a concentration in Supply Chain. He is weighing several job offers, with the lowest starting at $55K.

Supply Chain is a hot field right now. You would be crazy to put that degree on hold.

20. DougH

DougH Member

Maybe try getting a job with you degree but staying part time with ups, that way if the degree doesn't pay off you still have some seniority.

Sent using BrownCafe App