"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hi all, I was able to be paired up with a non-smoking driver today. We did 9 hours and 320 stops. There was no issues at all today when calling the helper coordinator.

Thank you for the advice, I get very flustered and stressed when issues like this come up.

I told my story today to the driver as he was the driver I had the first day, a guy very close to retirement. We exchanged phone numbers so I do not have to deal with any other driver or the driver helper for the rest of the season. I casually asked him if it's true that seasonal jobs cannot lead to full time employment and he laughed it off saying drivers have more say in this than you think.

He said if I kept "working like the road runner" that he would "put the word in" for when I apply after the peak.

This is what I always wanted and I am elated. I was always told by my fathers friend who is retired car driver that UPS is a career where if you go full out all the time you can and will move up quickly. They only care about results and if you provide those results you will do ok.

I want to tell other driver helpers that the drivers CAN help you get hired after peak, the stuff they say at orientation that this cannot lead to full time is not exactly true. Drivers have more power than you think especially drivers who have 35 years and are near retirement like mine.

He gave me advice on the chain smoking driver calling him a "young buck who is going to burn out if he needs 2 packs a day to do just 140 stops" and to "not take any bull:censored2: from anyone, if you are reliable and bust ass and don't screw up "

I honestly never thought I could do this job beforehand but now I know I can, impressing the driver is key. The driver told me the reason why he is giving me his personal number " you save me time and in my career I have only had 7 helpers who took to this so quickly so you bet your ass I am going recommend you UPS needs people like you for the future, at least until drones kill our jobs"

I guess it was "girly" but I nearly cried.

Thank you all for the help and advice - you have made this woman very happy. You guys are all right and the reputation of this site is not accurate at all.

I will keep reporting my experiences for future driver helpers to benefit from !
You go girl. With luck you won't be gone girl after peak.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Coke is much easier to stay away from....truat me. I quit smoking for 4 days once using an E cigarette....that's the closest I ever came. Gum, patches and Chantix didn't do a damn thing.
Chemotherapy and having lung tumors surgically removed can often be highly effective methods for helping to overcome a smoking addiction.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am a non-smoker who really dislikes the smell of cigarette smoke.

Could I deal with it if my helper smoked 2 or 3 cigarettes in the cab over the course of an entire workday, with the door open and the smoke being blown outside? Sure, no problem. In the past I have had helpers who smoked, and if they were good workers and tried to be considerate with their smoking then I could tolerate it.

Chain-smoking 2 freaking packs in the cab? NO WAY IN HELL. The stench would make me puke. No one should have to put up with that. Its against company policy, its against the law, and it shows a total lack of respect for the human being who is sharing your airspace.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It has been interesting reading the differing posts from nonsmokers, smokers, and ex-smokers. A word to nonsmokers, quitting is the easiest thing in the world. Ask any smoker. They have probably quit hundreds of times. Staying quit is the hard part. There are hundreds of things that trigger the urge to fire on up. You have to be stronger than the urge. Smokers, yeah I get it. Been there done that and some anti-smokers are total Nazis. Just try to be considerate. When I am around smokers the doesn't bother me but rather it entices me. That's why I won't let a helper smoke around me because it would set off a trigger and one would lead to a pack and so on. If you smoke, please stop. If you won't, I understand but please be considerate. If you don't smoke, please be compassionate. People that are trying to stop need support, not derision. And all have a Blessed Christmas.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It has been interesting reading the differing posts from nonsmokers, smokers, and ex-smokers. A word to nonsmokers, quitting is the easiest thing in the world. Ask any smoker. They have probably quit hundreds of times. Staying quit is the hard part. There are hundreds of things that trigger the urge to fire on up. You have to be stronger than the urge. Smokers, yeah I get it. Been there done that and some anti-smokers are total Nazis. Just try to be considerate. When I am around smokers the doesn't bother me but rather it entices me. That's why I won't let a helper smoke around me because it would set off a trigger and one would lead to a pack and so on. If you smoke, please stop. If you won't, I understand but please be considerate. If you don't smoke, please be compassionate. People that are trying to stop need support, not derision. And all have a Blessed Christmas.
Merry Christmas Joe!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Chemotherapy and having lung tumors surgically removed can often be highly effective methods for helping to overcome a smoking addiction.

New York has a series of very graphic commercials, which they tend to run while people are eating breakfast and getting ready for work, which are intended to get people to quit smoking.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hi all, I was able to be paired up with a non-smoking driver today. We did 9 hours and 320 stops. There was no issues at all today when calling the helper coordinator.

Thank you for the advice, I get very flustered and stressed when issues like this come up.

I told my story today to the driver as he was the driver I had the first day, a guy very close to retirement. We exchanged phone numbers so I do not have to deal with any other driver or the driver helper for the rest of the season. I casually asked him if it's true that seasonal jobs cannot lead to full time employment and he laughed it off saying drivers have more say in this than you think.

He said if I kept "working like the road runner" that he would "put the word in" for when I apply after the peak.

This is what I always wanted and I am elated. I was always told by my fathers friend who is retired car driver that UPS is a career where if you go full out all the time you can and will move up quickly. They only care about results and if you provide those results you will do ok.

I want to tell other driver helpers that the drivers CAN help you get hired after peak, the stuff they say at orientation that this cannot lead to full time is not exactly true. Drivers have more power than you think especially drivers who have 35 years and are near retirement like mine.

He gave me advice on the chain smoking driver calling him a "young buck who is going to burn out if he needs 2 packs a day to do just 140 stops" and to "not take any bull:censored2: from anyone, if you are reliable and bust ass and don't screw up "

I honestly never thought I could do this job beforehand but now I know I can, impressing the driver is key. The driver told me the reason why he is giving me his personal number " you save me time and in my career I have only had 7 helpers who took to this so quickly so you bet your ass I am going recommend you UPS needs people like you for the future, at least until drones kill our jobs"

I guess it was "girly" but I nearly cried.

Thank you all for the help and advice - you have made this woman very happy. You guys are all right and the reputation of this site is not accurate at all.

I will keep reporting my experiences for future driver helpers to benefit from !
If you have bad allergies/ breathing problems. ...I'm not sure hub work is right for you. We are exposed daily to breathing in dust and dirt...as well as gasoline and diesel exhaust fumes...inside the building with little ventilation. I literally blow (sorry for the squeamish) brownish blackish snot out of my nose after work. Just letting you know...it's not a clean place to work.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Just letting you know...it's not a clean place to work.
I don't know where you work but our building pipes rose scented oxygen through the vents to eliminate that icky nasty diesel smell and promote excellent breathing and higher productivity from those limey box slaves. We also have porters who go around and physically dust each package and all areas where dust could be found to include package cars, with a special unicorn hair duster. The only thing we blow out our nose is leprechaun rainbows and gold pixie dust.

BB58, I think there is some serious health issues at your building that you might want to bring up to someone. Tell them Scooby sent you. It will be instantly corrected unless of course......

.....parts are on order.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't know where you work but our building pipes rose scented oxygen through the vents to eliminate that icky nasty diesel smell and promote excellent breathing and higher productivity from those limey box slaves. We also have porters who go around and physically dust each package and all areas where dust could be found to include package cars, with a special unicorn hair duster. The only thing we blow out our nose is leprechaun rainbows and gold pixie dust.

BB58, I think there is some serious health issues at your building that you might want to bring up to someone. Tell them Scooby sent you. It will be instantly corrected unless of course......

.....parts are on order.
Quick....someone call OSHA...lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
1) The driver, even a casual, runs the ship so if you can't deal with his terms, you need to call the helper coordinator and try to get reassigned.

2) I can't stand cigarette smoke and I hate that 20 minutes of my day when I'm unloading stuff on a loading dock where everyone around me is allowed to smoke.

3) There may be an anti-smoking policy at UPS, but it hasn't made its way here. We have never been told we can't smoke in the package cars. Not even once. All smokers openly smoke, some even have the butt in their mouth at PCM waiting to light up. Nothing is said. Sups even smoke in the trucks.

margaritaville

Flip the topic around, i never considered some of my helpers may want to smoke and i never offered them the option too. Not a big deal but i wonder if some of them were fiending and i didnt even know.

Mack Grant

Hello, I just put in 9 hours today with a driver who chain smoked two packs of cigarettes.
When I was hired as a driver helper I informed the HR personnel that I am very allergic to the smoke from burning cigarettes and presented medical documentation proving I cannot be around it.

Today when I was picked up the driver was smoking as I approached the car for the days work at the pickup point. I informed him about my problem, and agreed to not smoke. Ten minutes in he begins to smoke again. I complain, he says he "needs to smoke to get through the day". I asked him to stop, he refused to stop smoking again stating " I need this to get through the day I have over 140 stops ".

I also felt threatened because when I began to have breathing problems and requested to be let out of the car to go home, he refused saying he needed my help and if I did not help he would not be home until 11PM. He was a very large, intimidating driver and I felt unsafe as he was very aggressive. He is a new package car driver with only one month on the job.

Are there rules about smoking in the cars? I was not told of the policy of UPS regarding this aspect during orientation. When I call in tomorrow I need to tell them I need a driver that does not smoke as I get very ill from it.

I would like some advice regarding what I should do to insure my safety so I can work hard in a safe environment. I work in Massachusetts.
The world will no longer conform to your needs, "it isn't about you", carry on...