Organizing STOPS in DIAD

exzackly

Who/What organizes the 'STOPS' in the DIAD board? Who decides which 'STOPS' go into my route and how they are organized? Are they using some sort of software that helps them determine the order? I'm just curious about how this is SUPPOSE to work versus how it ACTUALLY works.

If a new driver is given a route he doesn't know, how can he run it? Is the ability to run a route effectively ONLY possible with experience?

Just wondering how a new driver runs a route he's not familiar with. I can't imagine someone riding along training him until he know the route. How's it suppose to work? How's it actually work?

Marne Vet

Not that you need EDD to deliver a trip. All you need is to be pointed to your first stop, and know where to look in the truck. Take 10-20 and knock them off. Repeat. It'll get done eventually. In reality if you bid a new trip, and it's your trip now, then you can run it anyway you want. You the driver are responsible for going to the Dispatcher and telling them how you want your EDD set-up. You can have it set-up anyway you want to run it, stop for stop. It's not difficult. If it's not your trip, and you're a rookie going out on it cold, then suck it up. Not much you can do. Run it stop for stop by EDD, and make sure you have them print out the Pick Up log from the day before so you can see exactly where the other driver was and what time. Going by what's in the DIAD could screw you up since a lot of drivers are too lazy to organize their pickups in order.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Not that you need EDD to deliver a trip. All you need is to be pointed to your first stop, and know where to look in the truck. Take 10-20 and knock them off. Repeat. It'll get done eventually. In reality if you bid a new trip, and it's your trip now, then you can run it anyway you want. You the driver are responsible for going to the Dispatcher and telling them how you want your E DD set-up. You can have it set-up anyway you want to run it, stop for stop. It's not difficult. If it's not your trip, and you're a rookie going out on it cold, then suck it up. Not much you can do. Run it stop for stop by EDD, and make sure you have them print out the Pick Up log from the day before so you can see exactly where the other driver was and what time. Going by what's in the DIAD could screw you up since a lot of drivers are too lazy to organize their pickups in order.

Perfect. End of that thread

exzackly

I would have imagined that the DIAD would be organized in such a way as to allow the driver to follow a couple of simple rules to get his packages delivered -- like making right turns, mostly. Obviously that wouldn't work ALL of the time but how could a new driver with little knowledge of the area have ANY idea how it should be organized?

I'm just curious and not speaking of a particular incident or person. I'm just wondering how it's done. I could be wrong but I couldn't imagine much getting done that way.

Marne Vet

I would have imagined that the DIAD would be organized in such a way as to allow the driver to follow a couple of simple rules to get his packages delivered -- like making right turns, mostly. Obviously that wouldn't work ALL of the time but how could a new driver with little knowledge of the area have ANY idea how it should be organized?

I'm just curious and not speaking of a particular incident or person. I'm just wondering how it's done. I could be wrong but I couldn't imagine much getting done that way.

Are you even a driver? I ask this only because your questions suggest you're not. Plus, I just answered your question above, so why are you asking it again? A new driver has to follow the EDD that's already been set-up by the regular driver, or go all John Wayne on the trip and run it anyway you want. Find a few stops on a shelf, find out where it is on a map, go there, and deliver them. Repeat. Hello, McFly, is this thing on? It's not that hard to do. The DIAD is not going to wipe your butt or help you blow your nose. You download EDD, and it's set-up the way the guy/gal who runs it all the time wants it. You either follow it the way it's set-up, or pick and choose anyway you want to do it yourself. It gets done when you just get out on the area and start grabbing stops and knocking them off. One at a time. Eventually you'll get finished. Ta-dah!

exzackly

You do know that you can ignore the thread? You don't HAVE to click the link. You don't have to answer. Besides, you apparently don't understand what I'm asking. What you repeated is COMPLETELY obvious. Move on.

Marne Vet

You do know that you can ignore the thread? You don't HAVE to click the link. You don't have to answer. Besides, you apparently don't understand what I'm asking. What you repeated is COMPLETELY obvious. Move on.

You do know that if you ask a question, people will answer it. If you don't want answers, don't ask questions. If the answers were so obvious, why did you ask them twice genius.

barnyard

KTM rider
Depends on the route. Established routes generally have decent EDD orders (depending on the route.) Cut routes are a whole nother story. Friday, I did a route that I did not finish a complete section until after lunch. Started with a couple of stops in sec 8, then some in 7 and deliver an NDA, then end of 5, beginning of 6 and another NDA, then deliver my way down to the start of section 1, except I was low on fuel and it was close to lunch time and I decided lunch was my smartest play. After lunch, I started with mid section 2 and worked backwards till section 1 was done.

My last 22 stops came from sections 4, 5, 6 and 7. That cut car is in fairly regularly, it is almost all rural resis and the smartest way to run it is based on the NDA for the day.

Another route I run starts in town and has some rurals. In order to start the pick ups on time, you have to know what in town resis to skip and what time to start the rurals to get back in town on time. The route is 40 minutes from the center and there is no help around if you choose poorly.

Orion is not going to go well in my building, I suspect.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Clearly our company spokesperson need not worry about you taking his/her job.

To the OP: routes are set up in the DIADs using a DOL (Delivery Order Listing), which is the logical order of streets the driver will follow from start to finish of his deliveries. Packages are scanned by the preload and EDD is established. The driver uploads EDD before starting his day. After he delivers a stop it drops out of EDD. He goes through his day until all of the packages in EDD have been delivered. He will then start his pickups, which are listed in the pickup log in his DIAD. Some drivers use a system called Orion which plans the most efficient way that the route should be run. It is far from perfect but it can help a new driver delver a route for the first time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Marne Vet

Who/What organizes the 'STOPS' in the DIAD board? Who decides which 'STOPS' go into my route and how they are organized? Are they using some sort of software that helps them determine the order? I'm just curious about how this is SUPPOSE to work versus how it ACTUALLY works.

So obvious you had to ask? I answered this twice.

If a new driver is given a route he doesn't know, how can he run it? Is the ability to run a route effectively ONLY possible with experience?
Just wondering how a new driver runs a route he's not familiar with. I can't imagine someone riding along training him until he know the route. How's it suppose to work? How's it actually work?

Again, so obvious you had to ask and tell me it was obvious when I answered you? Dope. If it was that obvious you shouldn't have asked the question. smh

upschuck

You can have it set-up anyway you want to run it, stop for stop
Not exactly, had a driver sent home for arguing with the dispatch sup about his setup. Asked a question about how it was set up, sup made a snide comment, a couple choice words later, was sent home for a day or two.

exzackly

Depends on the route. Established routes generally have decent EDD orders (depending on the route.) Cut routes are a whole nother story. Friday, I did a route that I did not finish a complete section until after lunch. Started with a couple of stops in sec 8, then some in 7 and deliver an NDA, then end of 5, beginning of 6 and another NDA, then deliver my way down to the start of section 1, except I was low on fuel and it was close to lunch time and I decided lunch was my smartest play. After lunch, I started with mid section 2 and worked backwards till section 1 was done.

My last 22 stops came from sections 4, 5, 6 and 7. That cut car is in fairly regularly, it is almost all rural resis and the smartest way to run it is based on the NDA for the day.

Another route I run starts in town and has some rurals. In order to start the pick ups on time, you have to know what in town resis to skip and what time to start the rurals to get back in town on time. The route is 40 minutes from the center and there is no help around if you choose poorly.

Orion is not going to go well in my building, I suspect.

Thanks. Just being a little curious about it all. I thought there may have been SOME advancements or some new way of doing it. Those that I know with oodles of knowledge are the older guys - those that were given the route and told to run it. No DIAD. No Nothing.

Marne Vet

Not exactly, had a driver sent home for arguing with the dispatch sup about his setup. Asked a question about how it was set up, sup made a snide comment, a couple choice words later, was sent home for a day or two.

Had a dispatcher "attempt" to tell me that the EDD was already set-up "perfect". Ran over a full week until he realized it needed to be fixed. Never had a problem since. Most trips are set-up decently enough, but can always use personal tweaking when someone new bids it. Where one guy might start, the next might finish. Have only seen a few that were set-up so well that they didn't need anything but a good loader to get the stuff on the correct shelf.

upschuck

Had a dispatcher "attempt" to tell me that the EDD was already set-up "perfect". Ran over a full week until he realized it needed to be fixed. Never had a problem since. Most trips are set-up decently enough, but can always use personal tweaking when someone new bids it. Where one guy might start, the next might finish. Have only seen a few that were set-up so well that they didn't need anything but a good loader to get the stuff on the correct shelf.
You have better sups and edd than we do.

exzackly

The reason I'm asking is because I'm still quite new. There have been a couple of times that a supervisor has called me regarding how many stops I've completed and how many I have left. Their initial thoughts were that I MUST be doing something wrong yet when they show up to help and start looking through the DIAD, I hear them saying things like, "Why does it have you going here instead of there" or "this is all wrong," or "who in the h&%# loaded this board." When we set out together, it seems like they aren't doing much better than I was alone.

I don't know the area as I've only been on the route for a week. A couple of those days I was merely a helper (you're more likely to learn it when you drive it). I got the feeling from the sup that called that I should have been MUCH further along yet I can't see how that's even possible. I figure he just saw a couple of numbers and jumped to a conclusion. I didn't get upset or anything because I'm confident enough to know that I was doing what I could with what knowledge I had. I'll usually do what needs to be done if for no other reason than to remain off the respective radars.

Essentially what I'm trying to figure out is how I can insure I don't get another call like that -- if that's possible.