Organizing STOPS in DIAD

gman042

Been around the block a few times
When a driver is learning a route cold in our center, a member of the safety committee rides with them the first day to teach them the basics of the route. We don't have EDD or Orion.
Many of the older drivers dislike this way of coddling the new guys as they learned routes truly cold. They were given a loaded package car with the first hour set up to start their day and they were on their own. Now....the new drivers expect it and say they cannot go cold on a route without a driver ride. I don't agree....you are given the tools to figure out addresses. Use them.

Indecisi0n

When a driver is learning a route cold in our center, a member of the safety committee rides with them the first day to teach them the basics of the route. We don't have EDD or Orion.
Many of the older drivers dislike this way of coddling the new guys as they learned routes truly cold. They were given a loaded package car with the first hour set up to start their day and they were on their own. Now....the new drivers expect it and say they cannot go cold on a route without a driver ride. I don't agree....you are given the tools to figure out addresses. Use them.

Again I hear this garbage all the time, "back in my day". Well also "back in your day" guys weren't doing 185 stops everyday with pickups. The only reason people don't go out cold anymore is because the sup knows if he does that he will be completing the route or have to deal with missed work.

gman042

Again I hear this garbage all the time, "back in my day". Well also "back in your day" guys weren't doing 185 stops everyday with pickups. The only reason people don't go out cold anymore is because the sup knows if he does that he will be completing the route or have to deal with missed work.

Yes....BUT.....when we have to rely on technology rather than common sense is where the issues start. THINK....use your brain. Too many times we are handed things on silver platters. That fosters a sense of entitlement. This sense of entitlement makes us lazy. See where I am going with this?
Sometimes there is nothing much wrong with "back in my day".
I am a 12 year driver so I have not been with the company as long as the older group in my center. There is a 10 year gap in seniority. However....I happen to agree with them. They taught me and I appreciate the work ethic they instilled in me. Some of it may have been inherent but I knew what was expected by my peers.
The new guys do not have that. Now all we get is whining and gnashing of teeth

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I started 25 years ago and I always went out with a supe when learning a new area. I would say drivers go out blind now more then in the past.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
When I drove, I was a split driver for the first 4 years. I never went out on a route with anybody. They would tell me the route, and it was up to me to get the necessary maps from the office. I learned 56 routes like this, almost every one in our center. I was the "go to" guy for management. We didn't have EDD, PAS, or Orion throughout my driving career. Once I did get my own route, many told me that my route was set up the best they've ever seen. I averaged 145 miles and 105 stops a day. 98 stops was an 8 hour day. Towards the end of my driving career it ballooned up to 130 stops. Many times out of my 8-12 pickups, I would have less than 10 packages on my truck when returned to building. Ah, those were the days...

And and and...when I loaded cars I knew all the charts by memory and never had to use them. I loaded 5 cars at the end of the belt (rollers). Some said I had a photographic memory to which some degree I agree.

I agree with gman042 with the sense of entitlement deal. New drivers should look to the old timers for assistance. They've been through it all.

Xexys

Retired and Happy

You work with pansy's.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
....more complicated than taking packages from Point A (dock) to Point B (pkg car)?

Yes, one of the routes in particular has 53 pickup stops (handtruck hell), many of which are in office buildings that require keycards, have unmarked suites/doors, have multiple points of access in the building where they only will answer one of the doors (unmarked). There is even one pickup in an office building on that route where they only answer the door if you do a special knock--it's ridiculous.

Indecisi0n

Yes....BUT.....when we have to rely on technology rather than common sense is where the issues start. THINK....use your brain. Too many times we are handed things on silver platters. That fosters a sense of entitlement. This sense of entitlement makes us lazy. See where I am going with this?
Sometimes there is nothing much wrong with "back in my day".
I am a 12 year driver so I have not been with the company as long as the older group in my center. There is a 10 year gap in seniority. However....I happen to agree with them. They taught me and I appreciate the work ethic they instilled in me. Some of it may have been inherent but I knew what was expected by my peers.
The new guys do not have that. Now all we get is whining and gnashing of teeth
Ups didn't teach me good work ethics my parents did. There is also a line between being a good working and being taken advantage.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I tried that back on diad 4 when I had android and it wouldn`t pick up the barcode. Is should try now with diad 5.

The scanner in DIAD 4 wouldn't allow it. The scanner in DIAD 5 is a more active scanner . Pretty much the same reason you can scan a barcode at any angle, but with 4 you could only scan in one of two directions.

gman042

Ups didn't teach me good work ethics my parents did. There is also a line between being a good working and being taken advantage.
Did not say UPS taught me good work ethic. What I said was the group of older drivers gave me the insight to what they expected of me. They worked hard and led me by example.