Orion Compliance

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My mileage would go down if I could follow it. Trouble is with a bricked out truck it cannot happen. If I can walk in it, I can get done earlier. But its not like that every day, usually never. So Orion came last yesterday. Getting my commercial off by the time people desire it, came first. Because I could not follow the magic metric, my miles were way up, I made a whole bunch of OT, and I punched out at almost 9. It said I would be done at 630.
So I will be in the office I am sure. What could I do? There was no where to move anything til like 2pm, and still tripping over bulk at 4. And moving handling everything twice, 3xs, well that takes time too. I dont know, Im disenchanted.

oldngray

nowhere special
My mileage would go down if I could follow it. Trouble is with a bricked out truck it cannot happen. If I can walk in it, I can get done earlier. But its not like that every day, usually never. So Orion came last yesterday. Getting my commercial off by the time people desire it, came first. Because I could not follow the magic metric, my miles were way up, I made a whole bunch of OT, and I punched out at almost 9. It said I would be done at 630.
So I will be in the office I am sure. What could I do? There was no where to move anything til like 2pm, and still tripping over bulk at 4. And moving handling everything twice, 3xs, well that takes time too. I dont know, Im disenchanted.

On a bulk route you can't fight the load. You might have to go out of your way to get rid of a couple of bulk stops but you would make up for that once you had room in your truck. My route was like with over half of stops being bulk businesses. I delivered nothing but business until 1:30 or 2 and had just enough time to deliver a few residentials before pickups. And UPS would try to add business stops from other areas no matter how many times I told them I couldn't make service.

OPTION3

Something to remember about the ORION

The Two Step Guide to UPS Corporate Advancement is as follows;

Step One--pull a random number out of your ass
Step Two--force everybody below you to chase it

None of the numbers matter. Chasing them is simply an exercise in generating reports for the sake of generating reports. As an upper-level UPS management person, the sheer volume of reports you generate matters far more than whatever might be printed on them. If you pull, say, an 85% compliance metric out of your ass, you can write a report explaining why that number should be the goal. A week or two later you can pull a 90% compliance metric out of your ass and spew out a whole new pile of reports explaining why that number should be the new goal. Its a tough job, but that's why those guys are getting paid the big bucks.
0194BC14.gif

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
On a bulk route you can't fight the load. You might have to go out of your way to get rid of a couple of bulk stops but you would make up for that once you had room in your truck. My route was like with over half of stops being bulk businesses. I delivered nothing but business until 1:30 or 2 and had just enough time to deliver a few residentials before pickups. And UPS would try to add business stops from other areas no matter how many times I told them I couldn't make service.
Exactly....When I had my training, another truck was brought out with 73 pkgs for another stop. We met there and unloaded them, cool..........what happens when you are not with me "training" and its all just thrown in my truck? He said he explained to the dispatch sup, that is how it needs done. Yeah right, what happens is what happened Friday. 40 NDA thrown in the back, and then I found the one air I could not find, underneath all of that palled 1033. And then I fought the rest all....day....long. Because it was not just one stop, it was all my commercial, 18 here, 23 there all big, all in the middle, or stuffed under shelves I couldnt get to til I delivered something else. It was a true nightmare, one of my worst driver days EVER. I should have just given up earlier and did it my way. Just like I used to. It would have been way much better for my health.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Exactly....When I had my training, another truck was brought out with 73 pkgs for another stop. We met there and unloaded them, cool..........what happens when you are not with me "training" and its all just thrown in my truck? He said he explained to the dispatch sup, that is how it needs done. Yeah right, what happens is what happened Friday. 40 NDA thrown in the back, and then I found the one air I could not find, underneath all of that palled 1033. And then I fought the rest all....day....long. Because it was not just one stop, it was all my commercial, 18 here, 23 there all big, all in the middle, or stuffed under shelves I couldnt get to til I delivered something else. It was a true nightmare, one of my worst driver days EVER. I should have just given up earlier and did it my way. Just like I used to. It would have been way much better for my health.
One fact that is important to remember is that the majority of the people on the ORION implementation teams are NOT management people or experienced UPS employees. They are subcontractors, little more than data-entry people really, who have no understanding at all of the work that we do. Their knowledge of our jobs consists of little more than a copy of the 340 methods that they download onto a Kindle. They don't have DOT cards, they have never driven a package car or run a route or used a DIAD. They are being paid to play a glorified game of "connect the dots" in the mythical town of Clarksville. They will never have to cope with the problems that are caused by the system that they create, because as soon as they are done implementing one area they move on to the next according to a pre-determined schedule and those of us who work in the real world are left to deal with the mess they have left behind.

oldngray

nowhere special
One fact that is important to remember is that the majority of the people on the ORION implementation teams are NOT management people or experienced UPS employees. They are subcontractors, little more than data-entry people really, who have no understanding at all of the work that we do. Their knowledge of our jobs consists of little more than a copy of the 340 methods that they download onto a Kindle. They don't have DOT cards, they have never driven a package car or run a route or used a DIAD. They are being paid to play a glorified game of "connect the dots" in the mythical town of Clarksville. They will never have to cope with the problems that are caused by the system that they create, because as soon as they are done implementing one area they move on to the next according to a pre-determined schedule and those of us who work in the real world are left to deal with the mess they have left behind.

And they have to follow their predermined schedule and move on to the next route whether they have fixed problems with the current route or not. Mostly its not ready but they have to say its ready and move on anyway.

rpoz11

Ratings...
Currently, routes here have different ratings.
Will Orion change, be modified, or reinvent the way routes will be rated after it is turned on?

So....
Back to the Orion topics.
What about the ratings.
What's the future on this with Orion?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

What you say is true,for many of them, but my guy was a driver and an on road sup, It is a mapping system which does make sense, I will give them that. But what they have never figured out is how to do it in a bricked out vehicle. The thing is I was doing it with EDD when I could move. And it does seem that they just move on and we deal. They will tell me I was good or I was the worst. I just dont know what to do when it wont work, so I just bailed.

soberups

So....
Back to the Orion topics.
What about the ratings.
What's the future on this with Orion?
I don't understand the question.
I have never heard of "ratings" being assigned to routes, so I don't know what you mean or how Orion will affect them.

soberups

What you say is true,for many of them, but my guy was a driver and an on road sup, It is a mapping system which does make sense, I will give them that. But what they have never figured out is how to do it in a bricked out vehicle. The thing is I was doing it with EDD when I could move. And it does seem that they just move on and we deal. They will tell me I was good or I was the worst. I just dont know what to do when it wont work, so I just bailed.

You kind of answered your own question.

The system they are trying to create will only work properly under conditions that do not exist in the real world.

When push comes to shove, you have to find a way to get the packages delivered. Their way isn't going to work, so you have no choice but to "bail" and do it your way.

They aren't going to like it. They are going to bitch about it. They are going to whine about it. They are also going to have to get over it.

JL 0513

I don't understand the question.
I have never heard of "ratings" being assigned to routes, so I don't know what you mean or how Orion will affect them.

As for "ratings", I believe we're talking about how routes are rated with a letter (A,B,C,D...) after the route number. "A" being the most desirable and likely held by a high seniority driver.

If this isn't what we are referring to, someone can correct me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As for "ratings", I believe we're talking about how routes are rated with a letter (A,B,C,D...) after the route number. "A" being the most desirable and likely held by a high seniority driver.

If this isn't what we are referring to, someone can correct me.
Routes in a loop are 5200A, 5200B etc. has nothing to do with how nice the route is. That being said, my old route was a D and the new one an A. Definitely better.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In our center an "A" route is further from the building than the "B," "C, "or "D." I had an "A" route but through the magic of a botched relooping it became a "B" route.

rpoz11

Routes here, several per loop, pay differently.
One route will have different hurdles, another not as many.
Several can have 200 stops.
1 gets beat by let's say 2 hours plus...
While another rates at what they call "scratch"; the so called desired day from the work dispatched out.

So, with Orion, will routes ratings be better equalized to value the performance of the driver's efforts
OR...
Will Orion continue to allow for unequal ratings?
(Over Under for example)

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
In our center an "A" route is further from the building than the "B," "C, "or "D." I had an "A" route but through the magic of a botched relooping it became a "B" route.
Here, the A is usually the main route, in everyday and then B, C, D are just adjacent routes not really more or less desireable. One I can think of has an A that is the industrial downtown route run by a 20 year driver. B is a retirement route up in the woods run by a 30 year driver, C is 98% residential, but the route is only in 3 days a week. D and E both average routes starting fairly heavy commercial then mid-day switch to residential.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here A is the apex, or furthest away from the center in a given loop. B C D etc, each getting closer back to the building, with some variances.

dniebster

PARCEL JOCKEY
We currently do not have Orion in my center. We are not getting it and time soon either. One thing is for sure UPS has spent 10 yrs and 10 billion dollars on the Orion system. Just like any new program or method it DOES NOT MATTER if it works or not . UPS will never abort, never admit it if a system or method fails . You will just comply regardless . I'm so glad my time is up, before this wonderful system gets to us.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Another wonderful day in the Orion world.
New loader, different truck. What could be better, than besides having way too much work, running misloads, meeting to get misloads, exchanging misloads, running businesses at 8pm. Punching out at 20:52. I bet they call it a 7.5 day which means I am 3.5 late! Did my best. Who said, Safety, service then Orion? Thats what I do. Immediately after my air, I was to go to the 8000 shelve. Nah, cant climb over the bulk in the middle, 56 boxes of books and graduation gowns. Plus all my regular stuff. Looks like Ill need a day off Friday, or Monday.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Once Orion is fully implemented in your center, you'll find the meeting for misloads, running off off-areas, etc will go away. They'll want you to sheet it up as missed and move on. Service doesn't matter--just the mileage.