Orion Compliance

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
To answer the first question, regular EDD delivery order is still viewable on the board but you are to use the new "optimized delivery order" (Orion). EDD is essentially a linear delivery order. So streets are loaded in the board in the same order everyday. With Orion, an enormous amount of calculations are made each morning for the specific stops for that day and produces a "solution" for the day. It attempts to reduce mileage as much as possible. The biggest way it solves this is by having you only drive streets partially instead of driving the length of each street. This of course involves turning around in driveways all day.

Example scenario: Two side streets run parallel off a main road. You have 2 stops on each and they all happen to be numbered on the low end. In the old days, you would enter street A and deliver house 4 & 8 and finish the street if it led to street B on the other end (going around the block). In this example street B has stops at 2 & 7 on the same end as A. What Orion wants you to do is to only drive up to #8 on street A and turn around and proceed to street B and go up to #7 and turn around again because your next stop is likely in the other direction again. But anyway, the solution was to cut out the unnecessary high ends of the streets with no stops. Efficient but breaks established UPS rules.
Id pay for the edd to actually be right. If you can follow edd, good for you. I cant remember the last time I actually followed the edd with it even remotely being in order. After the idiot dispatchers and their idiot dispatches, putting stuff in the DOL all kinds of :censored2: backwards lol. I don't even try anymore. I set it up the way I need to in truck and im done with it. I run it my way not their way everyday.

rpoz11

Id pay for the edd to actually be right. If you can follow edd, good for you. I cant remember the last time I actually followed the edd with it even remotely being in order. After the idiot dispatchers and their idiot dispatches, putting stuff in the DOL all kinds of :censored2: backwards lol. I don't even try anymore. I set it up the way I need to in truck and im done with it. I run it my way not their way everyday.

I can agree with your statement here.
EDD is easy to repair; yet their overconfident egos prevent them from doing do.
They implemented EDD here with the EDD installation crew folks years ago.
After doing so, within 1 month, the management circus group manipulated it to the first EDD guy's liking (along with his center manager's approval).
After that, it has basically been a free for all on moving, cutting, ignoring, and outright refusal to remedy it.
After so many years now since EDD was installed, it's so far gone from load charts, that they will never be able to know where it all began.
It's always funny to pointe out those cables to them, yet they have NO idea why they are there.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's exactly why I don't even pay attention to the edd. I use it to see what stops I have and the number of boxes for that stop and that's it. At this point I could run my route blindfolded lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Everything in my truck is set up to how I want to run the route. So bye bye to the edd and dol. Makes life easy and simple and on cruise control all day long DADDY O LOL.

rpoz11

Apologizing for going off subject, but...
I just don't understand why management commits to an idea, abandons one, goes to another, abandons that one, then attempts to convince the world the their next latest, greatest, & best invention for profit will fix everything.

We all show up for all of this, yet I'm unsure just how Orion is suppose to cure every mistake and unknown given.

FilingBluesFL

I just don't understand why management commits to an idea, abandons one, goes to another, abandons that one, then attempts to convince the world the their next latest, greatest, & best invention for profit will fix everything.

We all show up for all of this, yet I'm unsure just how Orion is suppose to cure every mistake and unknown given.

They've got to justify their existence somehow, bro.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Because they are constantly trying to become more efficient. The problem is when they focus on only one cost driver and the rest be damned. Like okay let's pay this driver overtime to save a fraction of that saving a mile with Orion :-)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
2188356_o.gif
BECAUSE THIS IS HOW IT IS AT THAT FUNNYAZZ PLACE ENOUGH SAID lmfao

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you put the time in when the EDD team was in your center to make sure your DOL was set up the way you wanted it? No, I'm sure you did nothing and now you bitch about how poorly your DOL is set up. Too bad.

kingOFchester

Do to area knowledge, knowing the back ways around my area, understanding the predictable traffic patterns on area and knowing the best way to run my route, I am able to beat Orion miles everyday. Usually by a few miles at the least and even beat it by close to 10% several times.

One example, one Business gets a letter everyday from their HQ. They do not need the letter for anything other then filing away in their records. Orion will have me delivering the letter before noon. I deliver it when I pickup at the request of the business do to the receiver not wanting to answer the dock bell for a letter when he can receive it when I am picking up in the evening. This alone saves me just about a mile. Being that I do not need to deliver until the pickup, I choose to deliver the adjacent neighborhood just before the pickup, which further destroys my trace.

I now have a meeting with my Manager on Thursday do to not being 85% compliant with trace despite beating the miles everyday.

Last edited:

OPTION3

Did you put the time in when the EDD team was in your center to make sure your DOL was set up the way you wanted it? No, I'm sure you did nothing and now you bitch about how poorly your DOL is set up. Too bad.
nope…I just bump ball-lickers off their routes….thanks for the nice set-up. I’m sure your center manager appreciates it!

oldngray

nowhere special
In areas other than the BOG drivers can get their DOL fixed and routes set up as they should be run, then PDS will ignore that with completely different dispatches so why bother?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In areas other than the BOG drivers can get their DOL fixed and routes set up as they should be run, then PDS will ignore that with completely different dispatches so why bother?
Exactamundo my friend. Idiots do whatever they want anyway. These numbnuttz could screw up a wet dream lmfao

JL 0513

I'm curious as to why different centers have a difference compliance %. Most here are saying 85%. My center is 90%. Wouldn't corporate work with one percentage? Doesn't make any sense.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its always whatever the flavor of the week is. Same stuff different rotation. 1 week its 1 thing and the next its something different. 1 big game to those idiots lol.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Something to remember about the ORION
I'm curious as to why different centers have a difference compliance %. Most here are saying 85%. My center is 90%. Wouldn't corporate work with one percentage? Doesn't make any sense.
The Two Step Guide to UPS Corporate Advancement is as follows;

Step One--pull a random number out of your ass
Step Two--force everybody below you to chase it

None of the numbers matter. Chasing them is simply an exercise in generating reports for the sake of generating reports. As an upper-level UPS management person, the sheer volume of reports you generate matters far more than whatever might be printed on them. If you pull, say, an 85% compliance metric out of your ass, you can write a report explaining why that number should be the goal. A week or two later you can pull a 90% compliance metric out of your ass and spew out a whole new pile of reports explaining why that number should be the new goal. Its a tough job, but that's why those guys are getting paid the big bucks.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I spent about 5 years trying to get them to fix my EDD before I finally gave up. Not that it would have mattered anyway; they re-looped and re-ordered everything as part of the ORION implementation process, so basically we exchanged one incoherent mess for a completely different one. In reality, all I need from EDD is a list of what stops are in the car and what shelf they are loaded on, and from that point I can use area knowledge and experience to figure out a trace for that day that will work far better than anything EDD or ORION will ever be able to come up with.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The national goal metric for drivers is 85% adherence. Some DMs have asked their CMs to shoot for 90% to look better to those up above. What they're not understanding is the mileage will go way up if we start following Orion at a higher percentage.