Orion Forcing

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver who was near the end of his 30 days quit today. The training route that he was on is across the belt from my car and I could sense his frustration yesterday. To be fair, they were sending him out with about 80% of the work that the route normally goes out with, but he was still struggling. He had 10 air stops to deliver in 40 minutes, who is tough.

I posted this here as I do think that Orion may have been part of the problem. Our routes are adjacent and I could see him jumping from stop to stop rather than following a defined route.

It's a shame he quit but better that he do it now rather than during Peak.

Foamer Pyle

Most of the new drivers here were cover drivers, so their pay is not to far off of our rate. I just talked to one of the new drivers at my center, and at 9:50pm, he was still working. This is totally unacceptable, as where is the work life balance UPS claims exists?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Most of the new drivers here were cover drivers, so their pay is not to far off of our rate. I just talked to one of the new drivers at my center, and at 9:50pm, he was still working. This is totally unacceptable, as where is the work life balance UPS claims exists?
Work/life balance? I work while my supe is out on a date!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
what really @#$%^&*'s me off is I am told to call if I am going to be over 9.5. On the weeks where I have only been violated once I end up calling my sup on a Friday at 3pm (right after spending 20 mins in the back of a 120* truck looking for misloads that they will 100% of the time just tell me to run off when done). I call my sup's cell to say I will be over 9.5 and when he picks up I hear Judge Judy or some other crap daytime TV show in the background. I get told, "OK" and he hangs up.

what really @#$%^&*'s me off is I am told to call if I am going to be over 9.5. On the weeks where I have only been violated once I end up calling my sup on a Friday at 3pm (right after spending 20 mins in the back of a 120* truck looking for misloads that they will 100% of the time just tell me to run off when done). I call my sup's cell to say I will be over 9.5 and when he picks up I hear Judge Judy or some other crap daytime TV show in the background. I get told, "OK" and he hangs up.
LMAO

That's too funny

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Orion makes it nearly impossible for a new driver to learn a route, because the routes natural loop is thrown out the door. You have to have very good area knowledge to run a route efficiently with Orion. All the new guys are struggling to get the job done on a daily basis. They are taking their lunch breaks in the center, because if they took it on area, they would not be able to get the route finished. Ups has sealed its fate with this system, because no one is going to want to do this job under their current work loads. Safety and service have been kicked to the curb.
I don't think I would have made it as a cover driver if I had started with Orion. I don't know how the hell anyone would ever learn a route running it in a different order everyday. Even on routes I know really well, sometimes I have to sit down on road after my last air stop and rack my brain for 5 minutes to figure out how to to fix this garbage.

MC0493

Agreed, i try to run Orion on routes i'm very familiar with in rdo and it makes my head hurt or just does things so stupid i can't stand it, like deliver both sides of a divided highway.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Its a whole different ballgame from when I started.

When I started and was fighting to make my 30 days, you began with section 1000. You set it up how you were going to run it and went. You had to know your next stop because it sure as hell wasn't in there in the diad screen to tell you where to go next.

From my viewpoint now it seems to have made better drivers than what is seen coming out now-a-days. I am sorry if that seems a bit conceited but is just my opinion.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We had a driver who was near the end of his 30 days quit today. The training route that he was on is across the belt from my car and I could sense his frustration yesterday. To be fair, they were sending him out with about 80% of the work that the route normally goes out with, but he was still struggling. He had 10 air stops to deliver in 40 minutes, who is tough.

I posted this here as I do think that Orion may have been part of the problem. Our routes are adjacent and I could see him jumping from stop to stop rather than following a defined route.

It's a shame he quit but better that he do it now rather than during Peak.
The forced stupidity of ORION makes an already difficult job twice as hard to learn.

giggity

ORION has been in our center for 3 years, and I've only run it twice ~~ both times early on when the ORION admin went with me. not many of our drivers do. they kinda bitch and have vaguely threatened, but not one person in our center has yet to face punishment for their % not being at whatever number they want that week.

by running the RDO I beat the miles everyday and don't have to break for air/bulk/biz/pick-ups. plus I'm not going to work the oppo side of the road or take lefts if I don't have to and can get from the right later.

DougHeffernan

I don't understand drivers complaints. UPS pays you to do it UPS's way. If you can't finish route or have service failures by following Orion you notify them in time window UPS instructs you to.
This older driver in our center does everything UPS instructs him to do no matter how stupid or unproductive he thinks it is. When asked why he does it that way and his reply was "if you want to make money at UPS you do exactly what your supervisor and UPS instructs you to do because these dimwits don't know anything"

Future

Victory Ride
I don't understand drivers complaints. UPS pays you to do it UPS's way. If you can't finish route or have service failures by following Orion you notify them in time window UPS instructs you to.
This older driver in our center does everything UPS instructs him to do no matter how stupid or unproductive he thinks it is. When asked why he does it that way and his reply was "if you want to make money at UPS you do exactly what your supervisor and UPS instructs you to do because these dimwits don't know anything"
Just made just made a nice pitcher of Kool aid ....would you like a glass

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just words
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I would not want to be in center management anymore.
Crazy ass mini-world.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Excellent post.
UPS is not the driver's company.
The shareholders own UPS.
The Board represents those shareholders.
The UPS Management Committee is selected and approved by the Board.
The UPS Management Committee instructs management on how to run UPS.
Everyone below that does what they instruct us to do.
Anyone Union or Non-union that refuses to do so will be terminated.

Life is much easier when you just do what management above you tells you to do.

CanGuy

Its a whole different ballgame from when I started.

When I started and was fighting to make my 30 days, you began with section 1000. You set it up how you were going to run it and went. You had to know your next stop because it sure as hell wasn't in there in the diad screen to tell you where to go next.

From my viewpoint now it seems to have made better drivers than what is seen coming out now-a-days. I am sorry if that seems a bit conceited but is just my opinion.

That's how it is here in Canada. Run the route how you want it. They don't care as long as it gets done

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Article 37 also requires us to perform our duties in a manner that best represents the interests of our employer.
Intentional, forced stupidity for the sake of generating a meaningless metric is incompatible with that obligation.
It is also incompatible with my own personal work ethic.